SURVEY: Build the Wall -- Yes or No?

Scott

SURVEY: Build the Wall -- Yes or No?  

437 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Emma Lazarus

No further comment required.

35 minutes ago, Tug said:

No wall some fencing were practial to much of a disruption of nature and it doesent work plus it gives America a bad image

In every single area along the US/Mexican border where a wall has been constructed crossings have been reduced. It might give the US a bad image (who gives a crap), but they do work, just as a lock on your front door works. Is a door lock 100%, no, but that does not mean you should not have one.

So nice to hear an intelligent voice of reason, amidst the panicked cries of "build the wall", or the country will go down in flames! 

The majority of Americans DO NOT support the wall, which is never going to get built. Only a percent of his base of devotees want the wall, and that is only due to constant brainwashing.

Roger stone was frustrated that Trump kept on forgetting to talk about immigration at the beginning of the campaign. He said Trump is a builder. He will remember to say build a wall. Hence the birth of the slogan and the fear mongering. The only terrorist apprehended at the border in the past 20 years was coming from Canada. All terrorists use the sea or come by air. None come by land. None. One in the past 20 years was caught. It is all a total ruse. Not only is illegal immigration way, way down, but if you look at crime statistics in the US, nine times more homicide is committed by American citizens, than by legal immigrants. And three times more homicide, by Americans, than by illegal immigrants. If Trump wants to solve the crime problem in the US, he has to get his own people in his administration and his team, to stop committing crime, then he has to stop committing crime, and then he can work on reforming his base, and then other Americans.

In a separate interview with NPR, on January 6, Darling expanded on his views. He is the mayor of McCallen, Texas.

“In certain locations, a wall or a fence or some deterrent makes sense but certainly not one across the great swath of the border in places where, ecologically, the damage would be much greater than a security benefit,” he said. “So it’s really a political football, I think. And just saying we’re going to build this great wall across the whole border makes no sense at all.”

It should only be considered after Trump provides detailed architectural and construction plans showing the construction down the middle of the Rio Grande River!  What a joke!

Tell the families of the numerous victims of illegal alien crime that it shouldn't be built.

And yes, before someone say it, I know Americans commit crimes also, but illegal aliens shouldn't be in the country, after all......they're ILLEGAL. Not sure why that's so hard for some people to understand.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Emma Lazarus

No further comment required.

I don't think people in the US have an issue with immigration, providing it's legal. 

It's the large numbers of illegals where the issue is.

Perhaps they could all just keep the caravan going, march through the US and go to Canada?

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So nice to hear an intelligent voice of reason, amidst the panicked cries of "build the wall", or the country will go down in flames! 

The majority of Americans DO NOT support the wall, which is never going to get built. Only a percent of his base of devotees want the wall, and that is only due to constant brainwashing.

Roger stone was frustrated that Trump kept on forgetting to talk about immigration at the beginning of the campaign. He said Trump is a builder. He will remember to say build a wall. Hence the birth of the slogan and the fear mongering. The only terrorist apprehended at the border in the past 20 years was coming from Canada. All terrorists use the sea or come by air. None come by land. None. One in the past 20 years was caught. It is all a total ruse. Not only is illegal immigration way, way down, but if you look at crime statistics in the US, nine times more homicide is committed by American citizens, than by legal immigrants. And three times more homicide, by Americans, than by illegal immigrants. If Trump wants to solve the crime problem in the US, he has to get his own people in his administration and his team, to stop committing crime, then he has to stop committing crime, and then he can work on reforming his base, and then other Americans.

In a separate interview with NPR, on January 6, Darling expanded on his views. He is the mayor of McCallen, Texas.

“In certain locations, a wall or a fence or some deterrent makes sense but certainly not one across the great swath of the border in places where, ecologically, the damage would be much greater than a security benefit,” he said. “So it’s really a political football, I think. And just saying we’re going to build this great wall across the whole border makes no sense at all.”

Terrorists, most of which currently I would suggest are not prominently from Catholic South America, may well prefer sea and air routes. But the drug dealers, gang member, criminal element, who do come via land, and do commit robbery, rape and murder, as well as becoming involved in drugs, trafficking etc do come via land crossing. It is these elements that are the problem. In a similar way that the illegals trying to enter Europe and the UK are often young single men prepared to do anything. They obscure the real refugees and genuine asylum seekers as the numbers are swelled by the economic illegals.

The "wall" should be a metaphor for imposing much stricter tighter border controls. As the Mayor of McCallen says, it might be a wall, or fence, or whatever. But the objective must be to stop the large numbers illegally entering and those who prosper from it surely?

"Build the Wall -- Yes or No?"

Is this the wall between Pattaya and Jomtien? If so, I'm in favour.

Ironic though that just over 30 years ago a US president was calling for exactly the opposite to happen. Not on his home ground though.

73df5461c7b35c44f03a198f99fba315--reagan

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

"Build the Wall -- Yes or No?"

Is this the wall between Pattaya and Jomtien? If so, I'm in favour.

Ironic though that just over 30 years ago a US president was calling for exactly the opposite to happen. Not on his home ground though.

73df5461c7b35c44f03a198f99fba315--reagan

If walls didn't work, why did Reagan have to get Gorbachov to take his down?

Build the wall or change the laws giving illegal aliens rights and benefits once they reach American soil, which won’t happen.
Funny hypocrisy from expats in Thailand (a country that imposes only discipline and no benefits for illegal foreigners) who cheer immigration crackdowns on visa overstayers and extension cheats and chastise America for trying to control foreign invaders while often giving them greater benefits than actually American citizens.

5 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Build the wall or change the laws giving illegal aliens rights and benefits once they reach American soil, which won’t happen.
Funny hypocrisy from expats in Thailand (a country that imposes only discipline and no benefits for illegal foreigners) who cheer immigration crackdowns on visa overstayers and extension cheats and chastise America for trying to control foreign invaders while often giving them greater benefits than actually American citizens.

Please explain the connection between illegal immigration and the wall. Before you do that, don't forget to look at statistics.

41 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Other than to score cheap political points I have not heard a single sensible argument that supports not having a border wall between the US and Mexico.

Do some research , get out of your room , Breathe some fresh air, geezus

Will building a wall or fence (whatever you want to call it) work?  Yes, will it stop everything no but it is a start.

The proble3m is that this has been going on too long for Americans.  It seems that whenever it is expedient for politicians to say build the wall they do when it is not then it is immoral.

Bottom line is that you have to do something..  The fence works.  

It worked in Berlin and it works everywhere that they have one.  It is a deterrent.  Once you have the wall then you can start to look at how you deal with the people that overstayed how they enter through the airports.

It is a multi-step problem.  The wall is the easiest step first then the airports and such can be rethought.

51 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Because, dangerous, cold seas don’t work?

Considering how many times England has been invaded over the ages, I'd say that the "dangerous, cold seas" haven't been an effective deterrent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_England

A wall will do no good. As with pretty much every wall every built, as fast as they build it, people find a way around it.

Like the Maginot Line in France. Or the Berlin Wall. Or the "West Bank Wall" built by Israel at the start of the millennium.

Back in the days of the USSR, they had all manner of walls and fences separating Soviet countries from the "decadent West". I saw them, up close, while I was posted to Germany in the mid-80s.

The only reason those ones were effective was because the (Soviet) troops guarding them would shoot anyone that tried to cross them (going either direction). That was the real deterrent. Never mind the deep ditches, razor wire, minefields and attack dogs. The real deterrent was knowing you'd literally be shot dead on the spot if you were caught. Yet people still made it through.

Just like in Israel, the US already has a problem with tunnels under the border. In America they are usually used to smuggle tons of drugs into the US. There are probably dozens (hundreds ?) of tunnels that they haven't found that could be used (or are being used) to sneak people into the US.

Building a wall won't change that.

What the US should be looking at is who is really going to benefit from such a project. Who stands to make the "big" money off such a deal ? Probably wouldn't be too hard to figure that out. A lot of people stand to make a lot of money off of the construction, and a lot more will probably be looking to make lot of money off of "maintaining" it.

"Follow the money."

I'm from Texas. I don't mind if people come here with the good intentions of making a good life for themselves or for their family's but do it legally. I see it this way, either we spend $5B building the wall and put a lot of people to work doing it or we spend $5B on putting Illegals in jail and for deportations. I don't care if Trump said we can build the wall and have the Mexican Government to pay for it, there needs to be a barrier between the two countries.

Archived