SURVEY: Build the Wall -- Yes or No?

Scott

SURVEY: Build the Wall -- Yes or No?  

437 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

If walls didn't work, why did Reagan have to get Gorbachov to take his down?

I think there was some correlation between the fall of the Berlin wall and the number of people crossing from East to West Germany. From zero to millions and it wasn't a coincidence. That was another wall that "worked" much like Trump's will.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, mikebike said:

My takeaway from this thread so far is if being an isolated island doesn't work in the UK, then a border wall is an even bigger joke than I originally imagined...

Huh?

Thousands of flights in and out of the USA every day.  Ships, movement across legal border crossing, how is that isolated?

1 hour ago, ross163103 said:

Tell the families of the numerous victims of illegal alien crime that it shouldn't be built.

And yes, before someone say it, I know Americans commit crimes also, but illegal aliens shouldn't be in the country, after all......they're ILLEGAL. Not sure why that's so hard for some people to understand.

Is it so hard for you to understand a wall is not the answer?

1 hour ago, Chippy151 said:

Improve your schools, take care of your sick and help the working poor.

by making them build  the  wall?

Personally they have so  many incarcerated  they could  use that workforce to build it and reduce costs

Building a wall is an idiotic idea,what will it improve?

It might stop some people but real criminals with bad intentions will get in anyway.

Kind of like the same way bad guys will have guns.

You want a wall with armed guards that shoot anything that comes across?

Why don't you just lay a mine strip?

What a pathetic idea this wall is.

4 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

You be the one to stand outside of San Quentin when the walls come down.  Then tell me how walls/fences are not the answer.

Yes you are right,comparing a short wall around a small place to a wall 2000 miles long.You are so smart!

You know the difference between securing and guarding?

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I think the laudable effort to stop drugs and crimes should not be given up on just because it’s difficult to achieve.

Trump should lead by example.

If you would allow drugs that in itself would stop a lot of crime.

If you check how much money some states are already making on marihuana being legal,that money could be used to improve the quality of life for many people.

24 minutes ago, jvs said:

Is it so hard for you to understand a wall is not the answer?

So tell us wise one what is the answer?  any intelligent person listens to those that KNOW and they are the officers on the ground. No way would I support the extension of the barrier if THEY, the experts, did not tell us it is the answer. 

4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Bit unfair as the 'yes' vote is split three ways. 'Build' or 'not build'.

Anyway it's not 'build' it's 'extend' where there isn't one.

To help you, I have added the numbers for you. About 43% in favour of building (part of that only if Congress approves), 57% against building. May be different in a few minutes though.

Just now, stevenl said:

To help you, I have added the amount for you. About 43% in favour of building (part of that only if Congress approves, 57% against building. May be different in a few minutes though.

That was kind as my math is terrible. I think even you get my point. What it actually means, of course, is that 57% are not concerned with what the experts, on the ground, say as they think they know better sitting in Thailand sipping their Chang.

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

So tell us wise one what is the answer?  any intelligent person listens to those that KNOW and they are the officers on the ground. No way would I support the extension of the barrier if THEY, the experts, did not tell us it is the answer. 

You do not need to be very wise to understand a wall will not work,but you need to be stupid to believe (the experts)

I already posted before why a wall will not work,lets leave it at that.

Remember the experts went to war because of weapons of mass distruction?They were never found!

Just now, jvs said:

You do not need to be very wise to understand a wall will not work,but you need to be stupid to believe (the experts)

I already posted before why a wall will not work,lets leave it at that.

Remember the experts went to war because of weapons of mass distruction?They were never found!

I was referring to the officers who work on the ground, day in and day out.  You think we know better than them?  I don't think so...

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I was referring to the officers who work on the ground, day in and day out.  You think we know better than them?  I don't think so...

Ya think it's the grunts that are responsible for strategy? What military or paramilitary force did you ever work for?

2 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

is it so hard for you to understand that it is one part of the solution?

Is it so hard for you to understand that money spent on the wall could be more effectively spent elsewhere? Is it so hard for you to understand that there may be higher priorities for US taxpayer dollars than increased spending on the border?

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Is it so hard for you to understand that money spent on the wall could be more effectively spent elsewhere? Is it so hard for you to understand that there may be higher priorities for US taxpayer dollars than increased spending on the border?

non US citizens make up approx 26% of the US prison system which costs almost 200 billion dollars/annum. 25% of 200 billion is 50 billion each year. That 50 billion is being wasted on incarcerating aliens suggests to me that to build a 5 billion dollar border wall will result in huge savings to the US taxpayer along with preventing many violent crimes. seems like a no-brainer. My figures are low here, many reports put the total cost of the prison system and it's related expenses at more like a trillion dollars per year. Ether way savings generated by keeping out foreign criminals will more than pay for any wall.

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I think there was some correlation between the fall of the Berlin wall and the number of people crossing from East to West Germany. From zero to millions and it wasn't a coincidence. That was another wall that "worked" much like Trump's will.

Only if there is another wire fence about 100 meters  on the other side of the wall and the area between the two is a mine fields and there are guard towers built  with 50 caliber machine guns that cover the entire area.  That might work, some but I bet that there will be some that tunnel under.  All this while  the entry points are the major import areas for drugs including the USPS and the "open" Canadian border which is twice as long with no "wall" and where there were over three times the number of people on the terrorist watch list apprehended last year!

8 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

non US citizens make up approx 26% of the US prison system which costs almost 200 billion dollars/annum. 25% of 200 billion is 50 billion each year. That 50 billion is being wasted on incarcerating aliens suggests to me that to build a 5 billion dollar border wall will result in huge savings to the US taxpayer along with preventing many violent crimes. seems like a no-brainer. My figures are low here, many reports put the total cost of the prison system and it's related expenses at more like a trillion dollars per year. Ether way savings generated by keeping out foreign criminals will more than pay for any wall.

Well, out of the entire prison system of the United States, Federal and State, illegal immigrants actually make up a smaller percentage than their percentage of the population:

"An estimated 1,955,951 native-born Americans, 117,994 illegal immigrants, and 43,618 legal immigrants were incarcerated in 2016. The incarceration rate for native-born Americans was 1,521 per 100,000, 800 per 100,000 for illegal immigrants, and 325 per 100,000 for legal immigrants in 2016 (Figure 1). Illegal immigrants are 47 percent less likely to be incarcerated than natives. "

https://www.cato.org/publications/immigration-research-policy-brief/their-numbers-demographics-countries-origin

As for that 25 percent figure...

Immigration offenses make up a growing share of federal arrests

Federal law enforcement agencies are making more arrests for immigration-related offenses and fewer arrests for other types of offenses – including drug, property and gun crimes – than they were a decade ago, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of new data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Half (50%) of the 165,265 total arrests made by the federal government in fiscal 2014 – the most recent year for which statistics are available – were for immigration-related offenses, such as crossing the border illegally or smuggling others into the United States.

A decade earlier, immigration-related offenses accounted for 28% of all federal arrests.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/10/immigration-offenses-make-up-a-growing-share-of-federal-arrests/

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Building a wall is an idiotic idea,what will it improve?

It might stop some people but real criminals with bad intentions will get in anyway.

Kind of like the same way bad guys will have guns.

You want a wall with armed guards that shoot anything that comes across?

Why don't you just lay a mine strip?

What a pathetic idea this wall is.

Actually it is not as idiotic as it sounds. 

It may well get him reelected. 

Rooster

46 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

That was kind as my math is terrible. I think even you get my point. What it actually means, of course, is that 57% are not concerned with what the experts, on the ground, say as they think they know better sitting in Thailand sipping their Chang.

The ‘experts on the ground’.

A handful of hand picked individuals chosen for holding views supportive to the fake crisis Trump is supporting.

The ‘experts with the traceable statistics’ are not invited into your echo chamber.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So nice to hear an intelligent voice of reason, amidst the panicked cries of "build the wall", or the country will go down in flames! 

The majority of Americans DO NOT support the wall, which is never going to get built. Only a percent of his base of devotees want the wall, and that is only due to constant brainwashing.

Roger stone was frustrated that Trump kept on forgetting to talk about immigration at the beginning of the campaign. He said Trump is a builder. He will remember to say build a wall. Hence the birth of the slogan and the fear mongering. The only terrorist apprehended at the border in the past 20 years was coming from Canada. All terrorists use the sea or come by air. None come by land. None. One in the past 20 years was caught. It is all a total ruse. Not only is illegal immigration way, way down, but if you look at crime statistics in the US, nine times more homicide is committed by American citizens, than by legal immigrants. And three times more homicide, by Americans, than by illegal immigrants. If Trump wants to solve the crime problem in the US, he has to get his own people in his administration and his team, to stop committing crime, then he has to stop committing crime, and then he can work on reforming his base, and then other Americans.

In a separate interview with NPR, on January 6, Darling expanded on his views. He is the mayor of McCallen, Texas.

“In certain locations, a wall or a fence or some deterrent makes sense but certainly not one across the great swath of the border in places where, ecologically, the damage would be much greater than a security benefit,” he said. “So it’s really a political football, I think. And just saying we’re going to build this great wall across the whole border makes no sense at all.”

A wall across the whole border does not make sense, but 5 billion dollars won't do that and will only be good for about two hundred miles worth of wall (likely in certain locations where it makes sense). You are correct that a majority of Americans do not support the wall as it was asked in a poll, which was “All in all, would you favor or oppose building a wall along the entire border with Mexico?”. Which is not surprising because even supporters of building a wall do not think that this is a good idea (and only 35% said they support). However, Trump has repeatedly said during his campaign for president and after he became President that a border wall along the entire border in not what he wants or what is needed. It seems silly to ask a question on a poll that is not what is being proposed by the President and then tout the results as being opposed by 65% of Americans. Some people wonder why the fake news meme has come about, I am not one of those people.

4 minutes ago, Ahab said:

A wall across the whole border does not make sense, but 5 billion dollars won't do that and will only be good for about two hundred miles worth of wall (likely in certain locations where it makes sense). You are correct that a majority of Americans do not support the wall as it was asked in a poll, which was “All in all, would you favor or oppose building a wall along the entire border with Mexico?”. Which is not surprising because even supporters of building a wall do not think that this is a good idea (and only 35% said they support). However, Trump has repeatedly said during his campaign for president and after he became President that a border wall along the entire border in not what he wants or what is needed. It seems silly to ask a question on a poll that is not what is being proposed by the President and then tout the results as being opposed by 65% of Americans. Some people wonder why the fake news meme has come about, I am not one of those people.

People who don't trust opinion polls say that the only polls that count are elections. The Republicans ran their midterm campaign based on the threat posed by illegal immigration. How did that work out?

Build that wall....and if possible, electrify it. 

The purpose of a wall is to unequivocally let people know they are doing something illegal, and are trespassing, and that they should expect no leniency once they cross it.

Right now it's a joke...most people don't even know what they're doing....they just think MUST GO USA....USA good.

Stop this nonsense.

Just now, JHolmesJr said:

Build that wall....and if possible, electrify it. 

The purpose of a wall is to unequivocally let people know they are doing something illegal, and are trespassing, and that they should expect no leniency once they cross it.

Right now it's a joke...most people don't even know what they're doing....they just think MUST GO USA....USA good.

Stop this nonsense.

And because there's nothing the illegal immigrants enjoy more than a good joke, they pay coyotes $10,000 to get them into the USA. Just for the fun of it!

Archived