U.S. House panel eyes reported FBI probe of Trump

rooster59

U.S. House panel eyes reported FBI probe of Trump

By David Morgan

800x800 (4).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a "roundtable discussion on border security and safe communities" with state, local, and community leaders in the Cabinet Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., January 11, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. House of Representatives committee will look into a news media report that the FBI investigated whether President Donald Trump has been working on behalf of Russia, against U.S. interests, the panel's Democratic chairman said on Saturday.

The New York Times reported that the probe began in the days after Trump fired James Comey as FBI director in May 2017 and said the agency's counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether Trump's actions constituted a possible threat to national security.

The White House rejected the Times article as "absurd" late on Friday, while Trump himself lashed out at Comey and the FBI in half a dozen tweets on Saturday.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler said his panel "will take steps to better understand both the president's actions and the FBI's response to that behaviour" in coming weeks. He also said lawmakers would seek to protect investigators from the president's "increasingly unhinged attacks."

"There is no reason to doubt the seriousness or professionalism of the FBI, as the president did in reaction to this story," Nadler, a New York Democrat, said in a statement.

"We have learned from this reporting that, even in the earliest days of the Trump administration, the president's behaviour was so erratic and so concerning that the FBI felt compelled to do the unprecedented — open a counterintelligence investigation into a sitting president," Nadler said.

The Times said FBI officials became suspicious of Trump's ties to Russia during the 2016 presidential campaign but held off on opening an investigation until Trump tied his dismissal of Comey to a probe into allegations of election meddling by Russia. The FBI also considered whether the Republican president's firing of Comey amounted to obstruction of justice.

U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller took over the investigation into Trump days after the FBI opened it, as he examined allegations of Russian election interference, the Times reported. Russia denies it sought to influence the election.

Trump responded on Saturday by lashing out at the Times and former FBI leaders, and criticized the agency's earlier probe of Democrat Hillary Clinton, his rival in the 2016 election.

"Wow, just learned in the Failing New York Times that the corrupt former leaders of the FBI, almost all fired or forced to leave the agency for some very bad reasons, opened up an investigation on me, for no reason & with no proof, after I fired Lyin’ James Comey, a total sleaze!," Trump tweeted.

Comey took to Twitter later on Saturday, offering a quote he attributed to former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-13

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we will all soon know how big a threat to national security Trump was in May 2017, and remains today when Mueller makes his report, which I now suspect will happen sooner than expected, in fact, very soon.

Meanwhile, Trump's legal team has swollen to more than 40 lawyers, recently adding 17 more, to fight Mueller's release of facts, to prevent release to the public and to House Democrats, so expect to see a big legal war by Trump to block the release of Mueller's report to Congress based on Executive Privilege. But, the Attorney General makes the final decision of what can be shared with Congress and with the public and that is the key trigger now in this drama.

Because AG Rosenstein is departing, and is known for his sense of duty to the country to know the facts, and Trump's AG replacement pick (William Barr) confirmation hearings start next week, I expect we may have the Mueller report being released in a surprisingly quick fashion before Trump's guy has a chance to be installed and quash release of damaging facts to Trump in the Mueller probe.

45 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I guess we will all soon know how big a threat to national security Trump was in May 2017, and remains today when Mueller makes his report, which I now suspect will happen sooner than expected, in fact, very soon.

Meanwhile, Trump's legal team has swollen to more than 40 lawyers, recently adding 17 more, to fight Mueller's release of facts, to prevent release to the public and to House Democrats, so expect to see a big legal war by Trump to block the release of Mueller's report to Congress based on Executive Privilege. But, the Attorney General makes the final decision of what can be shared with Congress and with the public and that is the key trigger now in this drama.

Because AG Rosenstein is departing, and is known for his sense of duty to the country to know the facts, and Trump's AG replacement pick (William Barr) confirmation hearings start next week, I expect we may have the Mueller report being released in a surprisingly quick fashion before Trump's guy has a chance to be installed and quash release of damaging facts to Trump in the Mueller probe.

Alternatively, the House an Subpoena Mueller and instruct him to

read his report before an open session of the house.

Trump will not bury Muellers report, the report will bury Trump.

Illiberals get your denial glasses on, the truth will (despite Individual-1’s best efforts) out!

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Keep in mind news of this investigation has been leaked to

the press.

At least to questions arise:

Why?

Why now?

Mueller and his team leaked like a sieve too. I think it's due to having come up with nothing and don't want to lose face so leaks get the extremists back up to fever pitch. It has happened at least a hundred times over the last 2 years - we got him now - this time for sure - he'll be locked up tomorrow. This leak comes now due to the other exhaustive witch hunt having turned up only minor financial crimes from peripheral players and so has been deemed a farce. Anything goes for these never-Trumpers - well apart from truth and logic that is.

4 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Mueller and his team leaked like a sieve too.<SNIP>

Your comment counters numerous media articles saying the exact opposite. Kindly provide some examples, per forum rules,  from credible linked sources, to back up your claim.

9 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Mueller and his team leaked like a sieve too. I think it's due to having come up with nothing and don't want to lose face so leaks get the extremists back up to fever pitch. It has happened at least a hundred times over the last 2 years - we got him now - this time for sure - he'll be locked up tomorrow. This leak comes now due to the other exhaustive witch hunt having turned up only minor financial crimes from peripheral players and so has been deemed a farce. Anything goes for these never-Trumpers - well apart from truth and logic that is.

Mueller’s investigation has been near water tight.

Away with you and your deluded fabrications.

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Your comment counters numerous media articles saying the exact opposite. Kindly provide some examples, per forum rules,  from credible linked sources, to back up your claim.

I realize you are trying to bait me, but in case your Google doesn't work. Try this

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/25-leaks-about-the-mueller-investigation-and-the-problems-they-may-cause

31 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Alternatively, the House an Subpoena Mueller and instruct him to

read his report before an open session of the house.

Trump will not bury Muellers report, the report will bury Trump.

Illiberals get your denial glasses on, the truth will (despite Individual-1’s best efforts) out!

Yes, not to worry. Mueller has carefully and methodically thought about the end game to get this report out since his first day on the job. He is too strategic to not have thought of this. A sly old dog.

32 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Mueller and his team leaked like a sieve too.

Trump supporters: Mueller hasn't leaked anything, that means he doesn't have anything to leak!

Also Trump supporters: Mueller's team leaks like a sieve!

^ Just to add detail of what Mueller has probably already done or is ready to do to make sure Trump with his huge legal team and the power of the President cannot quash or hide his report:

1.  He could try to indict Trump, which would ensure the results are made public (the worst outcome for Trump).

2. As mentioned by Chomper above, the subpoena power of Congress, yes, but Mueller could have and probably did already preemptively place under sealed indictment or other methods, a report of important or salient points or evidence, so that in any event Congress will see those. His full report may not be as important as fatal blows contained therein.

3. Carefully crafted and prepared leaks that will go out to trusted journalists should Trump fire Mueller or otherwise quash his report.

I'm sure there are many more things he has done. The truth will out. Maybe some have seen legal drama or crime drama movies which depict the strategic story board, matrices, flow charts and other techniques used in legal war rooms. The very first thing Mueller did on day one was set up a war room for his senior brain trust. That inner circle started the end-game strategy of ensuring the truth gets out and to Congress from day one, before Trump's legal team had a chance to even start on this, which they are doing late in the game.

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You did read the article you linked to, didn’t you?

Or maybe he didn't understand why the passive voice is used consistently throughout the article.  

“So disgraceful that the questions concerning the Russian Witch Hunt were ‘leaked’ to the media,” Trump complained in a tweet Tuesday, but there was no indication in the Times report that they were obtained from Mueller’s side.

10 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

^ Just to add detail of what Mueller has probably already done or is ready to do to make sure Trump with his huge legal team and the power of the President cannot quash or hide his report:

1.  He could try to indict Trump, which would ensure the results are made public (the worst outcome for Trump).

2. As mentioned by Chomper above, the subpoena power of Congress, yes, but Mueller could have and probably did already preemptively place under sealed indictment or other methods, a report of important or salient points or evidence, so that in any event Congress will see those. His full report may not be as important as fatal blows contained therein.

3. Carefully crafted and prepared leaks that will go out to trusted journalists should Trump fire Mueller or otherwise quash his report.

I'm sure there are many more things he has done. The truth will out.

Add:

Open testimony in court trials of Trump’s co-conspirators.

Cohen’s testimony before the House.

Purjury trials arising from the release (with bipartisan support) to Mueller of  testimony made to the House Intelligence Comittee.

5 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Well, you're not sighting any articles claiming the exact opposite. Talk about the "pot calling the kettle black."

Asking for proof that something didn't happen is a practical impossibility.  But just take a look at the WJLA link provided by the dead head himself and you'll see lots of remarks like "no indication as to the source of the leaks" and similar such comments.  Further, the article is written heavily in the passive voice, because the subjects are either unknown or anonymous sources.  This was a link provided supposedly to support the claim of a leaky Mueller Team.

And half of the items in their list wouldn't be leaks at all.  People are allowed to talk after Mueller has interviewed them.  Reporters have set up camp outside of Mueller's HQ to see who's going in and out.  If somebody interesting comes out and a reporter asked him if he's just been grilled by Mueller, and he says "yes", that's not a leak - at least not from Mueller.  Jerome Corsi has been all over the news giving details about his interviews with the special counsel.  Is that leaking?

54 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I realize you are trying to bait me, but in case your Google doesn't work. Try this

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/25-leaks-about-the-mueller-investigation-and-the-problems-they-may-cause

Guess you didn't read the whole article, there is no proof whatsoever offered that leaks came directly from Muller or members of his team. 

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Mueller and his team leaked like a sieve too. 

When reading yet another Twilight Zone claim like this from a man-child supporter I have to ask myself why I even bother trying to debate with them.

Because there's obviously no hope whatsoever unless strong medication is administered.

I remember when that secret Oval Office meeting with the Russians happened, Lavrov made some sort of arrogant up yours comment to the press as he was entering.  Within hours of the meeting US intelligence determined DT passed on confidential info, anyone who has read LeCarre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is familiar with the way they played it -- yeah, as obvious as that!

And I'm enraged, saying "That's it?  They're just gonna let him get away with it!?"

I feel a little better now.

And yes, I've been suspecting that US military and intelligence have been restricting info passed to the WH as strictly need-to-know.

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

I'm sure there are many more things he has done. The truth will out. Maybe some have seen legal drama or crime drama movies which depict the strategic story board, matrices, flow charts and other techniques used in legal war rooms. The very first thing Mueller did on day one was set up a war room for his senior brain trust. That inner circle started the end-game strategy of ensuring the truth gets out and to Congress from day one, before Trump's legal team had a chance to even start on this, which they are doing late in the game.

The indictment would be sealed until Trump left office.

1 minute ago, Kelsall said:

The indictment would be sealed until Trump left office.

Good point, but there may be both federal and state indictments, and he won't skate on a state indictment. Also, if the evidence is strong enough in the federal indictment, that evidence will be replicated and detailed in the report to Congress, and Congress failing to impeach would be almost impossible, so the best path for Trump becomes resigning with an automatic felony pardon from Pence.

49 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Good point, but there may be both federal and state indictments, and he won't skate on a state indictment. Also, if the evidence is strong enough in the federal indictment, that evidence will be replicated and detailed in the report to Congress, and Congress failing to impeach would be almost impossible, so the best path for Trump becomes resigning with an automatic felony pardon from Pence.

Unless of course ‘Pence’ is a co-conspirator.

2 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

So what happened, guys?  Was Trump was born in Russia and sent here or did they flip him here as a teen in military school or did he flip himself at age 70 because the Communist light bulb went off?

He possibly "flipped" when they rescued him from bankruptcy again, bought all his debt, gave him more loans and imposed conditions on collection, either explicitly or implicitly.

10 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

So what happened, guys?  Was Trump was born in Russia and sent here or did they flip him here as a teen in military school or did he flip himself at age 70 because the Communist light bulb went off?

I think it was his debilitating bone spur condition, poor thing.

4 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

????... Which simply highlights the problems you have with internet searches.... juicy soundbite... not so juicy inside.

Archived