Electric can opener

jonwilly

Actually, whilst we have a manual can opener it's not been used for years to open food cans, 99.99% of the cans we buy have ring pull openers (no, we don't just buy beer).

The manual opener does get used to take the tops of various cans in my workshop (PVC glue cans make great paint brush cleaning pots) but only when Madam isn't looking.

Aren't most cans today self opening?  Most Thai have no cans to open as everything is available fresh year round so an occasional can could easily be opened with a hand opener.  Lazada does have.  This lovely is about 10k but they have hand held electric types for about 300 baht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&page=1&q=can opener&sort=pricedesc&spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.1125719cjnJU6u&sugg=can opener_0_1

Cuisinart SCO-60 Deluxe Stainless Steel Can Opener

Try the Lazada Malaysia site, I've found several items there not on the Thai site and postage / delivery from Malaysia is not expensive.

Just checked, Lazada Malaysia site has many models, many around 330Baht, some a bit cheaper, some up to 1,000Baht. Some electric, some battery.

Only issue is to change delivery to Thailand which I have done before. 

27 minutes ago, manarak said:

because cans are sooo difficult to open with a normal can opener

You get old and the arthritis can make it difficult - my Mom had to have one after she turned 70 or so - fingers wouldnt work for pull tops either... life happens

4 minutes ago, RicUSA said:

You get old and the arthritis can make it difficult - my Mom had to have one after she turned 70 or so - fingers wouldnt work for pull tops either... life happens

will accept commiseration inducing explanations only from the OP.

P.S.

in an online game I am playing (world of tanks) I berated a player for sucking so much, until he answered:
"I have only one hand and only two fingers on that hand"

ugh. shoot me dead.

turns out he is a vet who was unsuccessful at disarming an EOD.

he sucks bad at the game because of that, but respect to him.

I have one of these in the US

81-yVi1cXDL._SL1500_.jpg

Tried to find the same in Thailand but could not

I think it is called side cutting, it cuts a lid, like this 

81BBWIhdQjL._SL1500_.jpg

I like it because if you use half the can, you can put the lid back

I looked in Lazada and found electric can openers but they don't say if they are side cut.

I am in the US now working , will be back in May, I will bring one back with me and use it with a transformer.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yep. And a few more models.

I won't guarantee for the quality.

Bought a manual one at BigC.

Lasted about 10 cans :angry:

That is a different subject and agree - over the years we would buy in USA during visits and bring back - what was sold here in food stores was total crap.  Still have last one from about 15 years ago in display paper- no need for anymore.

"because cans are sooo difficult to open with a normal can opener"

For Young Pups still wet between the ears, no problem. For older folk, well you'll/you'd be surprised what happen when you get on in years.

Thank you lopburi 13, I tried Lazada but had no luck now I can order and spend some of my Life savings on a much needed assist to my existence.

john

4 hours ago, manarak said:

because cans are sooo difficult to open with a normal can opener

You have no idea why the Op may want or 'need' an electric can opener yet you seem to have jumped in with the 'look at me, I'm a tool' comment... Stop and think for a moment why someone may need such a device....

OP: Lazada is your bet - although you never know of the quality until it arrives.

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

I have one of these in the US

81-yVi1cXDL._SL1500_.jpg

Tried to find the same in Thailand but could not

I think it is called side cutting, it cuts a lid, like this 

81BBWIhdQjL._SL1500_.jpg

I like it because if you use half the can, you can put the lid back

I looked in Lazada and found electric can openers but they don't say if they are side cut.

I am in the US now working , will be back in May, I will bring one back with me and use it with a transformer.

But be careful as it will leave a very dangerously sharp top to the can.

10 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I have a can of red kidney beans in the cupbd from 2yrs ago.

Told the wife I would treat her to a chilli con carne.

I dont have any form of tin opener so the chilli is still on hold

This only costs 50 baht on Lazada and you would eat.

Fashion New Cooking tools can opener multifunctional can opener beer bottle opener super good Jar Opener Random Color

3 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Just take it down to your motorcycle repair guy, he has a hammer and a chisel to open it in a flash.

3 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

You could pound the tip of a sharp knife through the can top, then giggle it backwards and forward until you go around the whole can. Done it many times. 

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You could pound the tip of a sharp knife through the can top, then giggle it backwards and forward until you go around the whole can. Done it many times. 

I am not Bear Grylls, 

I dont fancy knackering the tip of a knife

I dont fancy risking chards of metal in the beans.

I dont fancy a trip to casualty following a knife wound.

But atm i cant justify the expense of buying a tin opener for what will be a once in a lifetime event.

So I will bring them out when i win a tin opener in a tombola event just before the wife says "we cant eat them, they expired in 2021"

9 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I am not Bear Grylls, 

I dont fancy knackering the tip of a knife

I dont fancy risking chards of metal in the beans.

I dont fancy a trip to casualty following a knife wound.

But atm i cant justify the expense of buying a tin opener for what will be a once in a lifetime event.

So I will bring them out when i win a tin opener in a tombola event just before the wife says "we cant eat them, they expired in 2021"

Life can be rough, don't let it get you down, you will survive...

Archived