Air Pollution in Bangkok...Do people care?

petedk

Bangkok is behind the times regarding pollution protection & its mitigation .

Take the UK as an example . The annual mot ( ministry of transport ) test includes a vehicle exhaust emission test that has recently been upgraded . Any smoke of any colour from a vehicles exhaust and that is a failed  test . That would take most of the Bangkok vehicles off the road in an instant and also throughout Thailand .  There needs to be radical ideas to relieve the traffic congestion in Bangkok with stationary vehicles blowing out exhaust smoke . If traffic was moving the pollution would be a lot less . Diesel vehicles are on the way out & electric vehicles will make a major improvement .

The burning of crop stubble is a major crime , yes a crime , that is causing many health problems and yet goes on year after year without any clamp down . Fires lit by farmers who do not give a ff about the effects on others caused by their selfish actions . Governments fully aware ? they cannot be , otherwise they would stop it to save harm to their people .

4 hours ago, superal said:

Take the UK as an example .

Yes, let's do that: 

Diesel, children and respiratory disease

https://bmjpaedsopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000210#ref-2

"...the largest contributor to air pollution in urban areas in the UK is road traffic"

"...a recent report from the Department of Environment Food and Rural Affairs and the Department of Transport showed 37 out of 43 reporting zones across the UK had maximum annual mean NO2 concentrations over the EU legal limit."

"....over 2000 education or childcare providers in England and Wales are located close to busy roads with concentrations of NOX that are regularly higher than legal limits"

"...There is emerging evidence that air pollution impacts on children’s neurological system and development. For example, associations between exposure to air pollutants and reduced IQ and neurocognitive ability such as working memory, autism and reduced brain-derived neurotrophic factor are widely reported."

‘Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution’ – a call for action

http://www.clinmed.rcpjournal.org/content/17/1/8.short

"While the risks of air pollution to health were thought to have been brought under control by the Clean Air Acts of the 1950s and 1960s, the situation of air pollution in the UK has now deteriorated to a point where it is contributing to 40,000 excess deaths each year. "

57 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

Yes, let's do that: 

Diesel, children and respiratory disease

https://bmjpaedsopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000210#ref-2

"...the largest contributor to air pollution in urban areas in the UK is road traffic"

"...a recent report from the Department of Environment Food and Rural Affairs and the Department of Transport showed 37 out of 43 reporting zones across the UK had maximum annual mean NO2 concentrations over the EU legal limit."

"....over 2000 education or childcare providers in England and Wales are located close to busy roads with concentrations of NOX that are regularly higher than legal limits"

"...There is emerging evidence that air pollution impacts on children’s neurological system and development. For example, associations between exposure to air pollutants and reduced IQ and neurocognitive ability such as working memory, autism and reduced brain-derived neurotrophic factor are widely reported."

‘Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution’ – a call for action

http://www.clinmed.rcpjournal.org/content/17/1/8.short

"While the risks of air pollution to health were thought to have been brought under control by the Clean Air Acts of the 1950s and 1960s, the situation of air pollution in the UK has now deteriorated to a point where it is contributing to 40,000 excess deaths each year. "

Did you know that the UK was number 1 in Europe for its targets on sustainable energy and also on the reductions of fossil fuel use . What gets me when discussing Bangkok is that the air pollution is no secret and at dangerously high levels but there is little or nothing being done about it . Ask to see inside of a mask being used by a Bangkok motor bike taxi because if a snug fit it will be dirty inside .

Having said that I have seen many ill fitting masks that will achieve nothing because of gaps to the side . Wearing a mask is something for short periods of time as it is uncomfortable and paper masks do not protect against fumes , only particles when a snug fit .   Bangkok is not a place that  I would live in .

I took this screenshot earlier today. This is from a monitoring station close to the Kaset intersection of Phaholyothin Road, Ngamwongwan Road and Nawamin Road in the northern part of Bangkok.

This extremely high level of PM2.5 was similar around Saphan Kwai this morning, which is also adjacent to Phaholyothin Road, although further inbound. Other areas of Bangkok were lower than this, but Phaholythin Road is clearly suffering from a combination of traffic congestion, BTS construction and also the construction of a large number of condo projects.

The pollution levels have fallen since this morning, but that has tended to happen during the day in recent days before the levels rise again in the early hours of the morning. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Screenshot (64).png

To plow it back into the land so it will improve the soil and rot away...they also need less fertilizers/chemicals if the land is more fertile and healthy.

It stings my eyes, gives headaches, makes me dizzy...and most of it is from cars/buses/trucks in the city. The bbq's, fires, machinery, and so on also pollute a lot. 
Especially those old buses and trucks/escavators fume a LOT and should be banned asap.

BKK needs more tree's/parks, less people, less traffic but the Thai don't give a duck...We 'll go to a better place to live and that's far away from Thailand.
Not so easy if your work is here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Did you know that the UK was number 1 in Europe for its targets on sustainable energy and also on the reductions of fossil fuel use . What gets me when discussing Bangkok is that the air pollution is no secret and at dangerously high levels but there is little or nothing being done about it . Ask to see inside of a mask being used by a Bangkok motor bike taxi because if a snug fit it will be dirty inside .
Having said that I have seen many ill fitting masks that will achieve nothing because of gaps to the side . Wearing a mask is something for short periods of time as it is uncomfortable and paper masks do not protect against fumes , only particles when a snug fit .   Bangkok is not a place that  I would live in .
Little or nothing also appears to be the reaction in the similarly, or worse, affected cities in India, China, Pakistan and about 7 others. Bangkok currently makes the top 10.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Archived