Saudi teen who fled family welcomed as 'brave new Canadian' in Toronto

rooster59

Saudi teen who fled family welcomed as 'brave new Canadian' in Toronto

By Chris Helgren

800x800 (16).jpg

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun arrives at Toronto Pearson International Airport in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 12, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Osorio

TORONTO (Reuters) - An 18-year-old Saudi woman who fled her family this week saying she feared for her life arrived in Toronto's international airport on Saturday after being granted asylum in Canada, where Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland welcomed her as a brave new Canadian.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun grabbed international attention this week after she barricaded herself in a Bangkok airport hotel room to resist being sent home to her family, which denies any abuse. Qunun refused to meet her father and brother, who arrived in Bangkok to try to take her back to Saudi Arabia.

Qunun arrived at Toronto's Pearson International Airport on Saturday morning, wearing a hoodie emblazoned with the word Canada in red, and a blue cap with the logo of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), which has granted her refugee status.

In her last tweet before leaving for Toronto, Qunun said, "I did it," and posted pictures from inside an airplane.

Freeland, who received Qunun at the airport, told reporters that Qunun is "a very brave new Canadian."

"Rahaf wanted Canadians to see that she has arrived at her new home," Freeland told reporters. "But she had a very long and tiring journey and so would prefer not to take questions today. And she is now going to go to her new home."

A smiling Qunun waved to reporters as she walked out into the international arrivals area but did not speak to the media. After a brief appearance, she was taken back into the airport terminal.

Canada's decision to grant asylum to Qunun comes at a delicate time. Relations between Ottawa and Riyadh have been tense after Canada demanded the immediate release of jailed rights activists last year, infuriating Saudi Arabia who retaliated by freezing new trade with Ottawa.

Qunun, who had initially intended to seek asylum in Australia, chose Canada instead because Australia took too long assessing whether to grant her asylum.

"(Australia) takes too long. That's why I went to Canada," she told Reuters in a direct message before boarding her flight to Toronto. Qunun took a Korean Air flight from Bangkok to Seoul on Friday and then a connecting flight to Toronto.

Her case has drawn global attention to Saudi Arabia's strict social rules, including a requirement that women have the permission of a male "guardian" to travel, which rights groups say can trap women and girls as prisoners of abusive families.

Qunun arrived in Bangkok a week ago and was initially denied entry. But she soon started posting messages on Twitter from the transit area of Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport saying she had "escaped Kuwait" and her life would be in danger if forced to return to Saudi Arabia.

Within hours, a campaign sprang up dubbed #SaveRahaf, spread on Twitter by a loose network of activists.

Following a 48-hour stand-off at Bangkok airport, some of it barricaded in a transit lounge hotel room, she was allowed to enter the country and was processed as a refugee by the UNHCR.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-13

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations young lady. I hope you settle into your new home well and can put the nightmares behind you. Her actions will hopefully inspire  women in Saudi Arabia and other countries repressive to women, that there is hope and a chance for a better existence.

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

hope the Canadians don't eventually realise that they were simply just more 'convenient' to her, than the Aussies! That she wanted Australia, and Canada was a lesser choice...

So what, if your fleeing for your life (and i believe she is fleeing for her life) your not taking any risks. Canada is a great country nothing wrong with it at all. I too would prefer Australia for the weather.

4 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

Canada is now viewed as the hero in this story, could have been thailand if they were thinking

who in his right mind with no money would want to settle in Thailand. Practically for her Canada is much better much safer too. 

18 minutes ago, tifino said:

hope the Canadians don't eventually realise that they were simply just more 'convenient' to her, than the Aussies! That she wanted Australia, and Canada was a lesser choice...

Maybe not her first choice but so what she can have a far better life than what she just escaped from. 

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

That and Australia doesn't have a land border with the USA.

Why would land borders with the USA be important ? I mean she is getting set up in Canada why even think about the USA. Not everyone wants to go to the USA especially now with Thrump in power. 

Good luck in Canada but reality will set in soon.  The family probably has cut off her credit cards and access to money in the bank.  Asylum doe not mean a luxurious lifestyle.  She might have to get a job.  At 18 I wonder what skills she can offer?  Will she live in public housing with other refugees in Canada?  Freedom is Not Free(literally).  

Sorry to say it but I think Australia dodged a bullet with this affair.

I know that media reports are far from reliable but her reported attitude that Australia took too long shows her sense of entitlement clashes with the portrayed image of someone desperate to escape .

I wished her luck in my last post and continue to do so, she is now Canada’s problem.

39 minutes ago, tifino said:

You kind of missed the point. But yes Canada was certainly more convenient for her and she'll never forget it. Canada stood up while the rest of the world sat on their hands.

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Good luck in Canada but reality will set in soon.  The family probably has cut off her credit cards and access to money in the bank.  Asylum doe not mean a luxurious lifestyle.  She might have to get a job.  At 18 I wonder what skills she can offer?  Will she live in public housing with other refugees in Canada?  Freedom is Not Free(literally).  

Some few big talk shows, speeks, book, and she is on her roll to a big life! 

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

"(Australia) takes too long. That's why I went to Canada," she told Reuters in a direct message before boarding her flight to Toronto. Qunun took a Korean Air flight from Bangkok to Seoul on Friday and then a connecting flight to Toronto.

It seems cold snow covered land is better than hot deserts ????

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why would land borders with the USA be important ? I mean she is getting set up in Canada why even think about the USA. Not everyone wants to go to the USA especially now with Thrump in power. 

Despite the past and current realities, a greater percentage of 'third worlders' still subscribe to living or realizing their dream in the US. I wouldn't discount that the common border was a significant influence in her sudden change of venue. Australia or Canada? Bit of a no-brainer there.

She's a Saudi, and ultimately she may prefer a more temperate climate. Once she has her Canadian citizenship and passport, San Diego is truly her oyster. DJT isn't a diamond either.

Personally, I would have opted for an EU country for the endless possibilities and opportunities. Both Australia and USA are geographically isolated if/when one feels the need for a change. Breakfast in Ireland, lunch in Austria, dinner in Greece.

We will never know whether there was any grounds or truth to her fear and allegations of being mistreated and even death, the thing is she has found a chink in the otherwise rigid and uncompromising immigration system armors by harping on the world hearts to her plight, so good on her for being able to execute this brilliant daring escape, all that remain to see what and how other will imulates her...

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Despite the past and current realities, a greater percentage of 'third worlders' still subscribe to living or realizing their dream in the US. I wouldn't discount that the common border was a significant influence in her sudden change of venue. Australia or Canada? Bit of a no-brainer there.

She's a Saudi, and ultimately she may prefer a more temperate climate. Once she has her Canadian citizenship and passport, San Diego is truly her oyster. DJT isn't a diamond either.

Personally, I would have opted for an EU country for the endless possibilities and opportunities. Both Australia and USA are geographically isolated if/when one feels the need for a change. Breakfast in Ireland, lunch in Austria, dinner in Greece.

Irish breakfest? 

15 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Nothing is unachievable now that there's crowdfunding.

I would hope she's still more concerned with her safety since she has spurned both her faith and family.

17 minutes ago, 300sd said:

You kind of missed the point. But yes Canada was certainly more convenient for her and she'll never forget it. Canada stood up while the rest of the world sat on their hands.

my 'point' follows the same path as has @PJPom written recently above too...

1 hour ago, tifino said:

How could you possibly know that?

From where do you get this knowledge that nobody else seems to have?

Canada a lesser choice? Please explain.

Are you privy to her thoughts? You have personal contact?

Archived