Saudi teen who fled family welcomed as 'brave new Canadian' in Toronto

rooster59

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, PJPom said:

Sorry to say it but I think Australia dodged a bullet with this affair.

I know that media reports are far from reliable but her reported attitude that Australia took too long shows her sense of entitlement clashes with the portrayed image of someone desperate to escape .

I wished her luck in my last post and continue to do so, she is now Canada’s problem.

Completely disagree.

The fact she went to the first country willing to take her, shows how desperate she was to escape. Especially as her father and brother were in Bangkok, looking to take her back to Saudi. 

4 minutes ago, neeray said:

How could you possibly know that?

From where do you get this knowledge that nobody else seems to have?

Canada a lesser choice? Please explain.

Are you privy to her thoughts? You have personal contact?

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

So what, if it was. 

Looks like the Canada Defense League have just finished their morning coffee then?

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Congratulations young lady. I hope you settle into your new home well and can put the nightmares behind you. Her actions will hopefully inspire  women in Saudi Arabia and other countries repressive to women, that there is hope and a chance for a better existence.

I do not think world needs another Arab spring , first one did not work out so well, I doubt second one would be any safer or better.

6 minutes ago, neeray said:

How could you possibly know that?

From where do you get this knowledge that nobody else seems to have?

Canada a lesser choice? Please explain.

Are you privy to her thoughts? You have personal contact?

she had her priority choice, and a back up 'fallback' option made available to her

... anyways go back to #26, and subsequent back references, which also reveal along the way how Australia was going deeper ion research, and that takes away valuable (for her) time...

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Completely disagree.

The fact she went to the first country willing to take her, shows how desperate she was to escape. Especially as her father and brother were in Bangkok, looking to take her back to Saudi. 

they'd have to have been part of an armed crack suicide death squad, to have gotten anywhere near her; once she had squealed publically!

anyhows Canada finally got their 'one up' oo the Saudis... the proverbial middle finger in the air at them'n'all that!

this all worked out well for all parties, except for the camel dudes...

6 minutes ago, tifino said:

they'd have to have been part of an armed crack suicide death squad, to have gotten anywhere near her; once she had squealed publically!

anyhows Canada finally got their 'one up' oo the Saudis... the proverbial middle finger in the air at them'n'all that!

this all worked out well for all parties, except for the camel dudes...

I never said they would get to her, but clearly their presence added to this girl’s justifiable fears. 

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Canada is now viewed as the hero in this story, could have been thailand if they were thinking

A notable feature is that it wasn't until she left the so called 'Land of Smiles' that we actually saw her first smile! Send a bit of a message don't you think?

Great news, thanks Canada and have a wonderful new life. Miss Qunun.

If every SA women had an opportunity to escape that regime when there are minimal human rights for them, why wouldn't they? 

Just the fact that she is 18 and desires to leave the country, without her family, to live as normal people do with human rights is commendable. 

This is a beautiful story, of David vs Goliath. And who triumphed? A young innocent woman, who was systematically abused by a masochistic society, father, and brother, with no respect, honor, or love of women. The fact that she refused to even speak with her father and her brother in Bangkok, says it all. The entire world was presented with this spectacle, and the House of Saud, and contemporary Saudi Arabia ended up with egg all over it's face, looking like a medieval, out of control, machismo oriented, outdated, outmoded, repressive, ugly society, suffering from a nearly complete lack of reform, despite what the gangster MBS would tell us. This, combined with the recent state sanctioned murder of Khashoggi, leaves them in a place of near total isolation. If it were not for their wealth, and oil reserves, they would be a tiny economy, in a forgotten part of the Middle East, and would be of no relevance to the planet. Sharia has to go. It is of no benefit to the world, and is a destructive ideology that does not teach love, but rather intolerance, exclusion, hatred of women, and a total lack of joy. It is incumbent on all nations, to make sure that all immigrants who practice Sharia, and Wahhabism, are denied entry into their countries. There will never be any assimilation, with such an extremist ideology. 

As it stands now, what has Saudi Arabia done for the world lately? What massive charity projects are they using their tremendous wealth for, to improve the lives of the downtrodden, the poor, the sick, and those that are dying around the world? Other than their massive contributions to the extremist Madrasa schools, who churn out extremists, where is the charity?  

The Prairies in January ,will make a true Canadian..i dont think flying to Toronto first class eating cavier and drinking champagne were smart optics...but welcome to Canada young woman '''earn this''...

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Canada is now viewed as the hero in this story, could have been thailand if they were thinking

Thailand is a dynamic and fun country, with a rich culture and some very sweet people but there is almost zero justice available, so it wouldn’t make sense for her. Even for me, a white male of decent privilege, after many years, the visible and wholesale lack of justice drained my passion for the place and I moved away for a break. 

Good luck in Canada but reality will set in soon.  The family probably has cut off her credit cards and access to money in the bank.  Asylum doe not mean a luxurious lifestyle.  She might have to get a job.  At 18 I wonder what skills she can offer?  Will she live in public housing with other refugees in Canada?  Freedom is Not Free(literally).  
Yes, she will need to get a job and for that may need further training/education. And likely have to work part time while studying.

Hopefully one of Canada's universities will offer a scholarship.

IOM is assisting her resttlement so she'll have initial help with housing etc.

I would not assume that she will view working for a living as a burden or disadvantage.

But there will of course be adjustments, physical (climate) and cultural. As there is for any immigrant.

There is a long road ahead of her. Thankfully she will get to walk it, aluve.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Good luck in Canada but reality will set in soon.  The family probably has cut off her credit cards and access to money in the bank.  Asylum doe not mean a luxurious lifestyle.  She might have to get a job.  At 18 I wonder what skills she can offer?  Will she live in public housing with other refugees in Canada?  Freedom is Not Free(literally).  

She's going to be very well looked after by the authorities.  I would be surprised if she ever had a credit card.

13 minutes ago, chivo said:

Thailand is a dynamic and fun country, with a rich culture and some very sweet people but there is almost zero justice available, so it wouldn’t make sense for her. Even for me, a white male of decent privilege, after many years, the visible and wholesale lack of justice drained my passion for the place and I moved away for a break. 

The plan was never to stay here though remember, it was a stop-off destination before Australia. Thailand could have made it swift and easy without the red tape. She is 18 and has every right to fly and pass through, there was no need for the BS they tried to pull, got flack for doing so, and back peddled on 

So if you refuse to leave a country based on a threat that holds to proof you can by pass getting ciitzernship to a country where normal people need a minimum of 2 million dollars 

seems like not a bad deal

she should have been deported 

Under stealth Islam they are allowed to break all their own laws if the end result is an attack on the west 

do hate me for what I say it’s based on the past and their holly book which I didn’t write so don’t blame me blame the man who wrote their book 

No, just a tweet threat from her cousin to kill her which, of course, has been deleted.

Not "a" tweet...
Scores of tweets from Saudis threatening and calling for her to be hanged or stoned to death.

And of course having publicly renounced Islam, which is punishable by death in KSA.

Pretty much an open and shut case IMO. She could not safely go back. Burned her bridges the moment she broke loose and boarded a flight to Thailand without "guardian" permission. She literally put her life on the line and she knew it.

Luckily for her it ended well. It didn't for the last Saudi woman to try this.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As a Canadian I'm happy for the girl. As well, as a Canadian I am disgusted with the government of the Great White North because there are, by its own estimates, 2250 homeless vets wandering the streets living in fear and poverty. Where's the freaking government for them?????

Archived