Saudi teen who fled family welcomed as 'brave new Canadian' in Toronto

rooster59

6 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

This statement, if factual, is very misleading.  She is a refugee who has been granted asylum in Canada!  There are many hoops to jump through before she becomes a Canadian.

I wonder how long it will be until SA sends in the Khashoggi hit squad?  Ms. Qunun had the effrontery to denounce Islam, she had the balls to disobey her male relatives so she is eligible to face the full force of the Sharia law.  MSB will not be pleased.

Screw MSB! I'm a prairie boy too. On the prairie right now. Let him send his Keystone Assasins as we have lots of guns for moose hunting. We keep ash or maple hockey sticks in our car trunks or truck beds and we know how to use them. Google 1972 Kharlamov.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/13/2019 at 9:34 AM, PJPom said:

Sorry to say it but I think Australia dodged a bullet with this affair.

I know that media reports are far from reliable but her reported attitude that Australia took too long shows her sense of entitlement clashes with the portrayed image of someone desperate to escape .

I wished her luck in my last post and continue to do so, she is now Canada’s problem.

Australia did take too long. They were doing things Thai style and the longer in BKK the more risk. Canada recognized this, got on with it, and got here out.  

On 1/13/2019 at 9:29 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Asylum doe not mean a luxurious lifestyle.  She might have to get a job.  At 18 I wonder what skills she can offer?

Yes she can not expect any money from the rich family she left behind. 

Now it's all up to Canada to provide her with a job and a place to live. She probably want to study first. No luxury life but Canada has a better standard of living than in the US. 

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

I cant cut and paste ...goggle ''mail on line'' news...Saudi teen arrives in Canada ...read down to the middle of the page ( please paste it if you know how ) and I quote ''she tweeted pictures from her first class seat drinking claret chardonnea and eating cavier''..

The Daily Mail is well-known for making things up in order to sensationalize its reports. I would take anything I read in the Daily Mail with a massive pinch of salt.

The report seems to base its claims on the pictures from her Twitter feed but those pictures don't necessarily support what the Mail is saying.

She posted pictures taken during her flight that showed her in an airline seat with a dark-red coloured drink next to her. The seat did look more roomy than an economy seat but she did not say what she was drinking (could have been wine, could also have been fruit juice for all we know) and there was no sign of any caviar anywhere that I could see.

33 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The seat did look more roomy than an economy seat but she did not say what she was drinking (could have been wine, could also have been fruit juice for all we know) and there was no sign of any caviar anywhere that I could see.

And who cares? If it was me at that age, I would drink with both hands, and have a good time for sure. Why should she not enjoy?

Some people on this forum, is just amazingly far out there. 

20 hours ago, peter48 said:

What an appalling comment, kind of on the level of 1930s fascist - extreme stereotyping. Hope no one here knows you as you sit on your bar stool alone in your misery and hate.  

Please read my post in it's proper context! - I was referring to the 

"Doubtful Thomas" who was inferring that because of her situation she could well be a "sleeper" (terrorist in waiting) as there would be no checks made on her background or identity due to the international interest in the case of a young Saudi girl running away from home - have a go at him - not me! 

19 hours ago, peter48 said:

20 hours ago, tifino said:

yes it does make it hard to comment if only skimming the cream at the top

find the helpful; Link courtesy of Post@Tony125 #161  

having to repeat a reference shows this is where it is really helpful to get the whole storyline from the OP onwards.

If one simply starts reading from the beginning.

otherwise there's waste answering other Posts, daisychained from the latter entries only, unless one actually reads everything from the beginning. #161 was only on the previous page from when i reference  mention the Link within #161

She ran from 'home' 

No need for the the condescending claptrap - there was no need to quote Tony125's post number #161 THREE times - once would have been enough! That's all I asked for as you seem to think that my post was a plagiarism of his.

And actually my post was all my own work - any reference to her prospects of getting a job or going to Uni was in Canada - not if she had got an education and seeking employment in Saudi!

But thanks for the link - if I had done as you said it would have taken me a long time to find it!

23 hours ago, weri said:

She's done the right thing and accepted Canada over Australia, the Canadian Government is way ahead of Australia where Canada shines with a reliable well educated Government and safe future, while the willy-nilly Government of Australia consists of a bunch of no-hopers would-be if could-be dickheads that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery 

And we even have a drama teacher as Prime Minister - he can direct the ensuing drama as it unfolds!

15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The Daily Mail is well-known for making things up in order to sensationalize its reports. I would take anything I read in the Daily Mail with a massive pinch of salt.

The report seems to base its claims on the pictures from her Twitter feed but those pictures don't necessarily support what the Mail is saying.

She posted pictures taken during her flight that showed her in an airline seat with a dark-red coloured drink next to her. The seat did look more roomy than an economy seat but she did not say what she was drinking (could have been wine, could also have been fruit juice for all we know) and there was no sign of any caviar anywhere that I could see.

Didn't look much roomier than economy seats on long haul Korean Air flights to me. Certainly not like businessg or first class. 

Drink could have been Coca Cola.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Didn't look much roomier than economy seats on long haul Korean Air flights to me. Certainly not like businessg or first class. 

Drink could have been Coca Cola.

It would be nice to know for sure, purely 'cos if she travelled first or business class than it is a waste of taxpayer money.

On the other hand, I'm very happy that this young woman had the courage to find a way out of a future that dictated she live under the control of her family, and hope that she finds a way to live successfully in a country - without the strictures she endured previously.

I gather (?) that she is already reasonably well educated (which will help, having found a way to escape to a new country), and that she comes from a very wealthy family - which IMO shows that she is not looking for wealth, just freedom from oppression.

We don't have an arrangement with CBC to link to their content do best not to post link. Just google "Rahaf" and it comes right up.

Indeed not a financially motivated act. On the contrary she has lost wealth. Her family have not only cut off all support but also publically disowned her. But she gained freedom and, hopefully, safety.

In the interview she states that, rather than let them take her away and "disappear" her (as has happened to other Saudi women in same situation) she was prepared to take her life in the hotel room and had already sent final letters to her friends to release publically should that prove necessary. Thankfully it did not.

She hopes to become an engineer.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Give her a nice condo, money every month, free healthcare, and allow her to bring 100 of her closest friends to Canada.  gofundme account now!  book, now!  movie deal, now!

maybe never have to work, ever.......

charge schools and people to hear you speak.  $1,000 a person  

if you need an agent, you can find me under a bridge.  lol

6 hours ago, pegman said:

Here is an interview of her in Canada. It is on the CBC site. CBC is owned by the government of Canada. I've paid income tax to it for 46 years so I think/hope I am entitled to post a link. If not please delete mods.

read above, the Global Mod asked NOT to post the link...

4 hours ago, puukao said:

read above, the Global Mod asked NOT to post the link...

I took that to mean the site admin could not post the link but members could. This is done by members many times a day. My post has been up for 10 hours so I'm presuming it is alright.

A Muslim lobby (link) is warning Canada that there may be a backlash from muslim countries. Maybe they should spend more time trying to advance these backward places out of the middle-ages. This whole thing reminds me of the old Warsaw Pact days of shooting people climbing the fence to freedom.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/15/rahaf-mohammed-al-qunun-saudi-arabia-flee-persecution

A post containing an off topic music video has been removed as trolling. 

As to the comments about that link to the CBC site, I believe that is ok as per this forum rule:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:39 AM, Sheryl said:

Not "a" tweet...
Scores of tweets from Saudis threatening and calling for her to be hanged or stoned to death.

And of course having publicly renounced Islam, which is punishable by death in KSA.

Pretty much an open and shut case IMO. She could not safely go back. Burned her bridges the moment she broke loose and boarded a flight to Thailand without "guardian" permission. She literally put her life on the line and she knew it.

Luckily for her it ended well. It didn't for the last Saudi woman to try this.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why is this a 3rd  countries problem 

On 1/16/2019 at 9:13 AM, BigC said:

Why is this a 3rd  countries problem 

Ah, one of history's most popular refrains, imagining somehow that humanity ends at one's borders. You do realize that many people said the exact same to Jews trying to flee Europe in the 1930s and many other refugees from across history, right?

Especially ironic to hear it here, from someone who doesn't mind one bit partaking of another nation's generous freedoms but who despises a young woman in distress doing the same. 

Archived