Army chief claims opponents of election delay bent on creating troubles

rooster59

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here it is - we can see it coming: 'Unrest, agitators and trouble-makers controlled by an Evil Man living abroad force the hand of your Thai Government to delay the election a little longer, to protect you all from these bad men' ....

And on and on it goes ....

Readers should be more understanding. The dictatorship has only had four years to organise an election - a couple more is perfectly reasonable, isn't it. If Thailand was facing an external military threat, would four years be sufficient time for the Generals to prepare a defence?

Go on keep delaying it. In June my family hopefuly will arrive in the Uk for 6 month holiday - why not get them claim asylum, since an argment could be made that a junta coup does not mean a country is safe for their human rights in political protest with people like this at the helm.

A speculative comment about the Thai Royalty has been removed from this topic.

From the Forum Rules:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

33 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

is there a delay. did i miss something, ? this is from an unelected government who has refuse any party to canvass, but blatantly do so themselves by visiting provinces and promising them the earth in the future, (if you vote for me that is)

True enough but remember this is another trick they learned from their rival gang. 

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Go on keep delaying it. In June my family hopefuly will arrive in the Uk for 6 month holiday - why not get them claim asylum, since an argment could be made that a junta coup does not mean a country is safe for their human rights in political protest with people like this at the helm.

Would be interesting to try Richard. 

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Destined to follow in his father's footsteps, who was Supreme Commander of the armed forces then appointed as PM following a coup.

Nothing changes.

Not quite. It was his father's fellow coupmaker, General Sujinda, who was appointed PM.

And then of course we all know what happened.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“They are being told to think this way, ordered to behave this way – thinking in one single mode without taking into consideration other factors which are reasonable and without looking at the Constitution,” said the army chief.

Funny. Isn't that exactly what the junta wants and nurtures and instills in the population's minds? Well, at least as long as the thinking and behaving goes THEIR way and plays into THEIR hands...

It is rather telling that the chief of the army is of the odious opinion that demanding an early election (and thus a return to democracy) is commensurate with "creating trouble".

BTW, Gen. Apirat Kongsompong is the son of the since-deceased Gen. Suthorn Kongsompong, who successfully led a coup d'etat in February 1991 against the civilian government of Chatichai Choonhavan. 

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They are being told to think this way, ordered to behave this way

By the Army mainly. It's a weird and twisted old world when the Army can delay an election because it thinks it's going to lose, and then try to make it everyone elses fault for complaining. I guess we can forget professional impartiality then.

Most peculiar Mama.

Still, nobody ever said that soldiers were the sharpest tools in the box. This guy even looks a bit dense.

So, when is the coup?

We've had the "I'm a simple soldier who doesn't understand" bit.

Next he will deny that he is going to stage a coup.

Then he will, reluctantly, take over - for the good of the people of course!

When do you reckon? April?

(Whoops continued)

Oh yeah, right. I saw an 'activist' leading a column of a thousand or more people pass by my place today. I saw on TV crowds around the government house demanding an election. I saw protesters outside the army barracks close to where I live shouting...

in my dreams that is.

Who is this general talking about...what 'activists'???? Man, if this was another country he'd be in his closet shivering. I see the junta doing whatever they want and ordinary just going around as if nothing happened...well I know it hasn't but you know what I mean. I wonder if he calls for 'mummy' at night because he has seen monsters under his bed. Talk about delusional...ha!

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

without looking at the Constitution

Pure hypocrisy!

The junta wasn't looking at the 2011 Constitution when it unconstitutionally overthrew an elected government, abolished the 2011 Constitution and cancelled the scheduled constitutional royal endorsed May 2013 national election.

The juntas exist because the military does not hold itself bound by ANY Thai constitution.

As the Sovereignty of Thailand belongs to the People of Thailand, it is the military that should look to the People for political leadership - not visa versa.

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Funny. Isn't that exactly what the junta wants and nurtures and instills in the population's minds? Well, at least as long as the thinking and behaving goes THEIR way and plays into THEIR hands...

It is rather telling that the chief of the army is of the odious opinion that demanding an early election (and thus a return to democracy) is commensurate with "creating trouble".

BTW, Gen. Apirat Kongsompong is the son of the since-deceased Gen. Suthorn Kongsompong, who successfully led a coup d'etat in February 1991 against the civilian government of Chatichai Choonhavan. 

And was a rather nasty fellow.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

It might be interesting to ask him to define 'democracy' and to explain the processes that build and maintain and protect democracy. 

It would also be interesting to ask him what the role of the armed forces should be in a democracy.

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

(Whoops continued)

Oh yeah, right. I saw an 'activist' leading a column of a thousand or more people pass by my place today. I saw on TV crowds around the government house demanding an election. I saw protesters outside the army barracks close to where I live shouting...

in my dreams that is.

Who is this general talking about...what 'activists'???? Man, if this was another country he'd be in his closet shivering. I see the junta doing whatever they want and ordinary just going around as if nothing happened...well I know it hasn't but you know what I mean. I wonder if he calls for 'mummy' at night because he has seen monsters under his bed. Talk about delusional...ha!

Well said, TKDfella. Everyone knows - or should know - that bullies will keep on bullying for as long as they get away with it. We all learn this at school - by the age of 10.  It is exactly the same with this junta. As long as the Thai people do not (figuratively) punch the bullying junta full-square back in the mouth, the junta will continue to do whatever it wants and just laugh at, and scorn, the whispered little grumbles of the Thai populace (as they get down on their knees and worship and wai their bullying Overlord) ...

Archived