off grid solar system for new build

rather than spend 250,000 baht on a transformer, i'm thinking going off grid. i have plenty of south facing roof space and a 2000w solar system (not inc batteries) is only about $2500 (80,000 baht) from aliexpress, free shipping

i can wire the house for 12v lights so save on inverters and i don't use aircon, so only water pump, fridge and fan on 220V AC (and i can set the water pump to run in day only)

but what to do about batteries? don't really seem to have them on aliexpress but i will get quotes on alibaba next week.

how has gone off grid so far and what system and suppliers did you use?

thanks

Why do you need to spend money on a transformer? Is this a cost the PEA have quoted?

I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll put in my place immediately, but I always thought the PEA had an obligation to provide a supply to domestic houses at a standard cost, but it wouldn't involve an additional expense?

My wife's uncle is a house builder and he always seems to get a supply installed wherever it's needed, at a minimum price.

Regarding the transformer cost, it would be worth to check wether there are other houses that might benefit from it. PEA and PWA are good at the screwing the Farang; i.e let us pay for infrastructure they should provide and didn't because someone pocketed the money. I ended up subsidising (THB 50000) the water supply to my street since PWA and the village chief had decided to leave us out. It was grossly inelegant, but I coughed up the bribe, TIT.

Also, I don't see how I could survive here, without aircon and clean water; but I am 66...

19 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Regarding the transformer cost, it would be worth to check wether there are other houses that might benefit from it. PEA and PWA are good at the screwing the Farang; i.e let us pay for infrastructure they should provide and didn't because someone pocketed the money. I ended up subsidising (THB 50000) the water supply to my street since PWA and the village chief had decided to leave us out. It was grossly inelegant, but I coughed up the bribe, TIT.

Also, I don't see how I could survive here, without aircon and clean water; but I am 66...

66! You're just a young man with 34 more good years ahead of you.

But back to the thread. I would want to go off-grid even at twice the price just to buck the old ways and embrace the future.

got this quote from china

For 12v 100Ah lithium battery , based on 8 units order quantity .  

the FOB bangkok price is US$425/unit  

I figure 10 batteries is enough so $4250 plus say $4000 for solar cells, inverters, etc and 50k baht for backup diesel generator

so about 300k baht. 

we are still talking to PEA about transformer, try get the price down a bit. i've heard in Phuket i can get a meter that runs backwards when producing more power that needed, that would be the best option, no need for batteries then.

21 hours ago, steve2112 said:

but what to do about batteries?

That is the weak spot. I was quoted 400,000 baht for a 10KWh battery pack. That would last about 10 years then you throw it away and spend another 400,000 baht or however much it costs then. If you are going off grid to save money, think again.

1 hour ago, steve2112 said:

got this quote from china

For 12v 100Ah lithium battery , based on 8 units order quantity .  

the FOB bangkok price is US$425/unit  

I figure 10 batteries is enough so $4250 plus say $4000 for solar cells, inverters, etc and 50k baht for backup diesel generator

so about 300k baht. 

we are still talking to PEA about transformer, try get the price down a bit. i've heard in Phuket i can get a meter that runs backwards when producing more power that needed, that would be the best option, no need for batteries then.

Don't forget import taxes, can hit you hard, I got caught importing some medical equipment from China.

Another thing to remember when calculating size for panel output is that solar cells produce power from light and not heat. The rating on a solar cell is done at 25 degrees C. As the temp of the panel goes above 25 its rating drops. In the specs you will see a negative figure of watts and temp, that is how much the panel will drop in maximum output per increase above 25 C.

I have proven that with my system I had in Queensland, Australia. Go wife to watch inverter out put on a hot sunny day while I got onto roof and hosed the panels to cool them. Output significantly increased.

I only say this because so many people think the hotter the climate the better for solar.

Also panels do deteriorate and drop output as do the batteries over time.

I expect you to get screwed immensely on import taxes and duties. 

There are lots of solar companies in Thailand now, with fair prices. I would try and shop locally. Also keep in mind that warranty and service is quite hard when dealing directly with the Chinese.

The point 'Dazinoz' says should not be disregarded.
I imported an electric sliding gate motor from Alibaba china as the motors here are crazy expensive, cost including rack and shipping was under $8000bht, but they screwed me almost 3000bht extra for import duty.
It may be worth while looking on Lazada.th (it's owned by Alibaba) prices there may look expensive but there's no 30%+ import duty and Kerry delivery is cheap.

And another point (not relevant to you) is when we looked into it at a home pro shop when we asked the salesman about feed in tariff we got a blank look. So it looks as if PEA don't have any system in place to pay for electricity fed back into the grid. Mind you if you do set up an inverter and have a meter that runs backwards that could be good until you feed back more then you use, then there would be questions.!!

30 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

{snipped}

And another point (not relevant to you) is when we looked into it at a home pro shop when we asked the salesman about feed in tariff we got a blank look. So it looks as if PEA don't have any system in place to pay for electricity fed back into the grid. Mind you if you do set up an inverter and have a meter that runs backwards that could be good until you feed back more then you use, then there would be questions.!!

You can feed back into the grid, PEA do have a system. I've seen posts on here about it in the past.

I do remember someone saying it wasn't at all straightforward, and took a few months to overcome all the hurdles.

2000W need 20 pcs 100W panel and panels cost under 100€ / panel, is 2000 € all, and good charger controller cost ebay and many shop 10-50€ cable need how long installed, minimun 4mm2-16mm2 wire-. battery need be deep cyckle batterys. inverter need be 20% more than max wattage need. calculate ALL house machines how much need wattege and how many hour need use , A/hour. and x 1,5 then u have abouty how many watt you need to panels.

3 hours ago, canopy said:

That is the weak spot. I was quoted 400,000 baht for a 10KWh battery pack. That would last about 10 years then you throw it away and spend another 400,000 baht or however much it costs then. If you are going off grid to save money, think again.

I'm just wondering whether battery technology will go through serious changes, improvements in the not too distant future, also meaning better storage etc., and reduced costs.

Some opinions very welcome.

The one I have my eye on is the Tesla powerwall and solar roof tiles. I don't get the feeling major improvements in battery technology are coming. But a lot of major improvements were rolled into the version 1 and now version 2 powerwall already. They don't sell these things in Thailand at this point however. Could be a very, very long time and so maybe disregarded but the alternative products seem so antiquated it's depressing.

4 hours ago, rwill said:

what about a wind turbine?

Except in the South, Thailand is rather poor in wind. At least regular wind.

(I don't know OP's location)

A monthly storm doesn't help

EPA also first refused to connect us unless we'd pay for a transformer that wouldn't be our property (their infrastructure)

We refused of course and lived on a generator during 2 years until - without advance notice - we saw them putting the line and connect us

I'm going solar on 2 houses this year.

You can source everything pretty much domestic, except the batteries.  There are a couple installers in all the major Provinces, so can look around.

I've ordered the newest Lithium Ion's from a supplier on AliBaba.  They have European certifications and such, so hopefully all good.  Awaiting their delivery this month.

I ordered a 48V pack, but you can also get individual 12V's of course.  They can also customize the BMS to support 200A peak load at a time (default 100A BMS).

I can pass you the contact, just let me know.

Most (all?) will close for CNY/Chinese New Year -- so get your orders in ASAP -- if ordering anything this month.

Good luck.

I would not trust trust AliExpress quality and reliability for heavy load electrical appliances.....it could in fact be dangerous to install solar pannels not by the standards mainly of safety as they can catch fire....

Nevertheless, solar is a great idea, and there are many firms on the net in Thailand, who supply, install and conduct maintenance.

I'd feel more comfortable putting in the extra buck from a reliable shop in Thailand and thus sleep more peacefully...

I recently bought a 150W panel from DoHome for 3,200 baht and a 12V 100AH deep cycle lead acid battery for something over 5,000 baht.

I bought the 20A charge controller and 1,500W inverter, plus some thick cable and connectors, and an AC circuit breaker (all for less than $100), here in Laos.

The system is now powering a TV, a few LED lights, some sockets for charging phones, and a socket for a portable LED lamp, for the workers living on a farm that is off the grid.

I still need to find some fuses to add into the DC charging system, and install an earth to the panel, inverter, etc.  

Archived