Are complaints about subcompetent doctors at private hospitals ignored?

atyclb

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Probably do, & it's not limited to Thailand; because any mistakes a doctor makes, are buried. :laugh:

I did have a complaint once about a doctor, I wasn't charged for the consultation.

Do doctors take the Hippocratic oath here...?

taking an oath and being lazy/subcompetent are different entities

3 hours ago, cooked said:

Good luck with that. 

The Thais use social media for stuff like this and don't get anywhere.

Working by yourself, a Farang... even less chance. 

I thought complaining anywhere online about a doctor was asking for trouble and being hit with a defamation lawsuit. I remember reading that before. Aren't the Thai people doing that via social media really asking for trouble?

Doctors tend to close ranks when challenged and will protect each other. That is not just in Thailand but all over the world. I have seen it when I worked in a hospital.

Unless you get the information out to the masses it will go no where

Good chance tbe letter was never even seen by a person at a level of significant authority.

Assuming no harm resulted, ask for an in person appointment with the hospital director (or medical director if those are 2 different people) and relay your concerns in person.

If harm did result get a lawyer to draft a letter asking for financial compensation. That will get their attention.

In both cases though don't expect miracles. It will alert hospital management to possible issue, that's all. But if this same doctor is generating a lot of business for them they will be unlikely to do anything other than perhaps talk to him. And that will help only if the problem was negligence as opposed to genuine lack of knowledge/skill

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Good chance tbe letter was never even seen by a person at a level of significant authority.

Assuming no harm resulted, ask for an in person appointment with the hospital director (or medical director if those are 2 different people) and relay your concerns in person.

If harm did result get a lawyer to draft a letter asking for financial compensation. That will get their attention.

In both cases though don't expect miracles. It will alert hospital management to possible issue, that's all. But if this same doctor is generating a lot of business for them they will be unlikely to do anything other than perhaps talk to him. And that will help only if the problem was negligence as opposed to genuine lack of knowledge/skill

interesting, a genuine lack of knowledge/skill is acceptable as long as negligence is not committed. 

interesting, a genuine lack of knowledge/skill is acceptable as long as negligence is not committed. 

No one is suggesting it is "acceptable".

My point was that being told of the complaint is more likely to have the desired effect if the doctor has the capability to do better.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:
31 minutes ago, atyclb said:

No one is suggesting it is "acceptable".

My point was that being told of the complaint is more likely to have the desired effect if the doctor has the capability to do better.

ok

Bear in mind this is Thailand where social status trumps all.

A few months ago I had a bad cellulitis on my hand due to a cat bite. Swelled up and turned bright red overnight. Went to nearby ER of govt hospital where the doctor on duty (I presume an intern) put on a display of ignorance that was truly remarkable. Laboriously working her way through a treatment algorithm (at least, being a govt hospital, there was one) when she got to the part about checking for lymphadenopathy she started clumsily examining my neck. I had to explain to her that the injury being on the hand, she needed to check for axillary nodes. She then clumsily poked around under my arm on the opposite side. At this point I gave up and just told her there were no palpable nodes.

Granted she was still an intern but I'm pretty sure she won't improve much with experience....especially given evident lack of understanding of basic anatomy.

Right now I'm in a hospital with a Cambodian friend having surgery. Among the highlights so far have been a nurse applying a tourniquet below the elbow then looking for an antecubital vein. Efforts to explain tbe problem to her were fruitless.

So it goes.

I ran across a good number of incompetents in hospitals back in the US too. The main difference was the open disdain of their colleagues and their willingness to step in at times.

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Bear in mind this is Thailand where social status trumps all.

A few months ago I had a bad cellulitis on my hand due to a cat bite. Swelled up and turned bright red overnight. Went to nearby ER of govt hospital where the doctor on duty (I presume an i tetn) put on a display of ignorance that was truly remarkable. Laboriously working her way through a tteatment algorithm (at least, being a govt hospital, there was one) when she got to the part about checking for lymphadenopathy she started clumdily examining my ne k. I had to explain to her that the injury being on the hand, she needed to check for axillary nodes. She then clumsily poked around under my arm on the opposite side. At this point I gave up and just told her there were no palpable nodes.

maybe . ms and not pgy1? pgy1 have lots to learn come july, 01 . as u know

Granted she was still an intern but I'm pretty sure she won't improve much with experience....especially given 3vident lack of understanding of basic anatomy.

Right now I'm in a hospital with a Cambodian friend having surgery. Among the highlights so far have been a nurse applying a tourniquet below the elbow then looking for an antecubital vein. Efforts to explain tbe problem to her were fruitless.

wow

So it goes.

I ran across a good number of incompetents in hospitals back in the US too. The main difference was tbe open disdain of their colleagues and their willingness to step in at times.

true although some are facilitated to make it through based on a prestigious degree.  see below video

https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/how-a-murderous-doctor-was-allowed-to-keep-killing-patients/

• 1 month later...

Well, how about a fax? Or a lawsuit?

I have a very grim view of a leading hospital in Bangkok, favoured by Arabs.

- Pulmonary embolism. The ambulance dropped me off at a government hospital, where idiotic x-rays were taken (instead of ultra sound). Many times, just keep repeating this... 

Then they said "we cannot help him" and my wife chose a top hospital. That hospital sent an ambulance. In the ambulance, I told the young doctor that I have had a thrombosis and then pulmonary embolism.

Instead of taking action, I was left near the entrance for many hours. Then more hours of waiti at ICU, until the big boss doctor showed up. Then it took just minutes to reveal a heart deformation and do the blood works with the related crazy high reading. 

Day 2, a private room resembling a hotel room.

Help with renewing my VISA waiver.

Follow up checks, costing thousands each time. The 2 nights cost over 200,000 THB. 

The doctor was bloody rude, so I complained. They had letter boxes for complaints. Never heard back (surprise)! 

---

In my home country, assistants will do the work, starting immediately. When they encounter issues, they will get some experienced doctor involved.

In a real emergency it is always best to go to the ER of a top government hospital (,e.g. Chula, Siriraj).

For any issues re care should do as I previously advised:

Letter to hospital director with cc to Medical Council and the NGO mentioned. Find out the actual name of the Director and send it by courier with signature required. Never send a general "to whom it concerns" letter to a hospital It will be read by a low level employee who will immediately discard it rather than risk "upsetting" their bosses.

Compensation is possible only if real harm resulted and will be limited to at best actual expenses incurred. No punitive damages. Nothing for pain and suffering. Not like in some western countries.

I do know cases where people have successfully gotten settlements from private hospitals here but these were really egregious cases with demonstrable serious harm resulting.

Archived