Care in the home workers

darbyman

Well, we continue to prevaricate over moving back to LOS (although it looks like my health insurance is going to be steep) but my Thai wife is still youngish and may want to work. She is a qualified care worker here in the uk and has her own business supplying care to several older folk in their own home. These are people who are not ready-or too independent- to go into a care home. Duties usually include an hours visit in the mornings and half hour in the evening. She loves the work and is in great demand. Personally I am rather proud of her since it isn't everybody's cup of tea. Really, the reason for this post is to sound out if this sort of service is used by retired expats in LOS and any useful comments from readers would be welcome. Our vague plans are to move to the suberbs of Bangkok where there is likely to be a reasonable presence of expats.

Why restrict yourselves to expats, there must are large numbers of well off educated Thais with children, who  like in the UK are not going to just look after their parents, i see it as a good opportunity. I have a thai friend well enough off, who pays good money for a nurse, their parents dont need a nurse but a good care worker, they found it very hard to find anyone with the skills. 

If she plans to start somewhere as an employee i think most places would require her to be a certified practical or registered nurse in Thailand. In case she plans to directly start her own business this is not required, but i could imagine that potential clients might ask her about it.

Here a company offering similar services (more focused on the "nurse" part): http://rentanurse.asia

I spoke with a lady who had same plans. One of her fears was that a family would bring the caretaker, pay the first monthly bill and subsequently disappear. So the caregiver would now have a client but would receive no monthly payments anymore. What to do next ....

Archived