BANGKOK 17 February 2019 12:17
webfact

Smog in Bangkok serious threat to public health: experts

3 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

At my school, we had extra long assemblies or line ups outsde last week. The kids had even more time to breathe in that dirt.

Even people who work all day at the office, just commuting there, have health issues because of the smog. I know, my girlfriend does. On the other hand, I, as an asthmatic, do not suffer in any way, perhaps because I'm used to worse pollution from back when I was a child.

My Wifes Family Company here in Bangkok has a solution that is a good start to cleaning up the engines of the buses and trucks as well as cars that continually belch diesel fumes into the air. It wont happen overnight but over time it can happen. The system is Engine Carbon Cleaning. Visit C&R Ventures Co Ltd Facebook web page to see how it works. In Counties like Europe vehicles have to under go vehicle inspection where exhaust gas emissions are checked. If they don't pass then its off the road till its fixed. A simple 30 minute engine clean for cars or 1 hour for trucks and buses is all it takes to clean the engines to reduce poison gases being pumped out the exhausts and the engines will run much smoother.   

• Haha 1

Hi all, I just moved to Bangkok a few months ago and this pollution the past month is nuts. It wasn't like this in Oct/Nov.

Is this a seasonal thing, or was it a seasonal thing in the past? I have an air filter in my condo and wear n95 masks everywhere now. If it's going to remain like this, I might need to choose another city in Thailand lmao.

Thanks in advance,

• Like 1

I'm curious why "staying indoors" is accepted advice. I've run an air filter, checked the air quality (AQI 4), then turned off the air filter. It only takes a few hours for the air quality in my well-sealed condo to match the outside air. I understand it might keep kids from running, and therefor breathing more deeply when outside, but being inside doesn't seem to provide any real protection to me, unless there are HEPA filters running 24/7.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

1 Update safe-air standards in line with World Health Organisation recommendations.

2 Set air pollution emission standard for power plant chimneys.

3 Promote the use of clean, renewable fuels in the transportation sector.

4 Improve public transit with broader access and more extensive coverage.

5 Encourage energy efficiency. 

6 Give people incentives to walk, ride bicycles and switch to electric vehicles.

7 Provide easy public access to the pollution monitoring system.

8 Add more urban green space as much as possible.

Source: Greenpeace

8 things that will definitely not happen anytime soon!!!

All of the above costs money.... but salvation may be at hand... at an affordable price.

Ask Prayut to pray to the gods again to take the nasty pollution away & stop harming his people!

Edited by hotchilli

23 minutes ago, Unify said:

I'm curious why "staying indoors" is accepted advice. I've run an air filter, checked the air quality (AQI 4), then turned off the air filter. It only takes a few hours for the air quality in my well-sealed condo to match the outside air. I understand it might keep kids from running, and therefor breathing more deeply when outside, but being inside doesn't seem to provide any real protection to me, unless there are HEPA filters running 24/7.

It's in part about keeping people's physical exertion down, and thus limiting deep breathing... of crap....

At my home, with everything closed, the indoor air may be a bit better than outside if I dont run my purifiers... But yr right, not much...

Maybe the Thai govt should start calling this "the 90 dangerous days" for smog -- Dec to March or so....

Because, it,'s the same like this pretty much every year Dec to March. Anyone who doesnt realize that...hasn't been paying attention.

• Like 2

While crop burning is a contributor to the pollution problem, there is also the invasion of the 

crap Chinese air every winter, brought down by Arctic winds originating in Siberia.

It used to take until late January for the Chinese crap to get down here.  Now, it seems

smog season is starting in December and lasting into March.  So, every year it gets worse.

As little as 3 years ago, a day with a 170 number was off the charts.  Now, it happens on a

regular basis.

And, speaking of China, the world has known about their problem for years.  What have they done

to tackle the problem???  And you expect any different plan of action here??

• Like 1

How did we know air quality was bad before we could measure or even knew about PM2.5?

A post containing a commercial link has been removed.  If you want to become an advertiser on ThaiVisa and enjoy the benefits of having a business name and the ability to post then please contact our Marketing department. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/contact

A post of a profane nature has been removed.  

You want Chinese to come and you will get their air pollution too 

it will probably just get worse and worse and it is not only Bkk but Chonburi yajong etc 

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

How did we know air quality was bad before we could measure or even knew about PM2.5?

It's been known for years. And HEPA air filters and N95 masks have been available for years....

But public awareness in Thailand -- the hub of people sticking their head in the ground and the government typically doing nothing -- has been and is lacking.

• Like 1