Smog in Bangkok serious threat to public health: experts

webfact

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The key thing you want in a mask for dealing with PM2.5 here is that it be N95 certified. Any 3M model that's N95 certified should be OK. However, not ALL 3M masks are N95 certified. So you need to be careful to choose a model/version that is.

Not sure what you mean by "respirator models"... Some of the newer and more expensive 3M models have what's called an exhale valve on the front to ease the outflow of air when you breathe out. That's basically aimed at making the mask more comfortable to wear. But as I said, they're not as common here, and usually more expensive than the regular non-valve 3M masks.

Re Lazada, 3M does sell their masks in boxed packages (I have a couple versions at home ordered from the U.S.)  Then as far as authenticity is concerned, FWIW, on Lazada, 3M does have its own online store as part of the Lazada site. So I'd say buying from them there is probably a pretty good assurance of authenticity.

BTW, other than the models I already mentioned, someone asked a similar question in a separate thread that's running right now just on masks, and I was reminded that the 3M Lazada site also sells a model of mask called "V-Flex" model 9105 that others here used last year and found comfortable. (Items there may or may not be in stock...)

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/3m-official-online-store/?spm=a2o4m.pdp.seller.1.791a39aaptQm9R&itemId=263480139&channelSource=pdp

Thanks for the detailed info. Unfortunately it looks like all masks on the 3M Lazada site are out of stock ???? The prices on the 3M store I must say are expensive compared to the other 3M masks sold Lazada not by their store. Looks like all masks are sold as one each on the 3M store, not in packs of 10 or 20.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DaveInSukhumvit said:

>> Thanks for map TallGuyJohn.  Please share a link if you can.  I looked on PCD website and could not find.

Here's the link for that... Choose the EN button up in the top right corner, and then use the "Change Region" pull down box near that to select what region of TH you want it to show the map for... BKK or other. And from there, you can then select individual monitoring station results from within that region.

When you choose a region, the page reloads to show the map for that region and its sensors at the top, and then underneath that, a list of all the sensors in that region and their current pollution level readings in chart form.

But within those charts, keep in mind, the AQI values they report and the corresponding color/healthy/unhealthy ratings are all using the LOOSER THAI government scale, not the U.S. EPA scale. So neither the AQI numbers nor the color ratings are going to match up with the AQICN.org numbers and colors, which use the better, stricter U.S. EPA scale.  But the readings in micrograms of PM2.5 still should be correct.

http://air4thai.pcd.go.th/webV2/region.php?region=1

BTW, here's another useful sensors and mapping display for Thailand from the AirVisual folks, who sell their own sensors and aggregate sensor data:

https://www.airvisual.com/thailand

On 1/14/2019 at 8:27 AM, 1337markus said:

Same story every year for the last 13 years, nothing happens. So who cares?

I care, because it's my body. 

I will do anything I can to protect myself. 

Related image

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Thanks for the detailed info. Unfortunately it looks like all masks on the 3M Lazada site are out of stock ???? The prices on the 3M store I must say are expensive compared to the other 3M masks sold Lazada not by their store. Looks like all masks are sold as one each on the 3M store, not in packs of 10 or 20.

Gonna have to look around... One of the problems with waiting until the annual smog siege hits BKK and other places here is that's when too many people suddenly realize they need/want these masks...

I ordered mine by box from Amazon U.S. last year, and have them reshipped here by Planet Express for a pretty economical rate. But not everyone is from the U.S. or setup for U.S. to TH reshipping.

Someone mentioned in another thread that some local 7/11s supposedly are selling a 3M Nexcare mask that's N95.... So that might be another place to look... But I've never had much luck finding those at my local 7/11s.... You never know....

4 hours ago, DaveInSukhumvit said:

Most pharmacies in BKK have a 3M N9501 mask for about 35 baht.  They test well if you seal against nose.

BTW, here's a U.S. CDC list of the various 3M mask models that are N95 certified. So if there's any doubt when shopping, you can search for a particular model number on this website and see if it's listed...

I don't see the 9501 or KN95 model listed there... Which may mean that particular model isn't sold in the U.S. and thus has never been submitted for U.S. NIOSH certification.  Found the same thing with some UK only 3M masks, which were certified there under a different standard but not in the U.S.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1.html

1 hour ago, mserror said:

Note that long-term use of masks can induce emphysema.

Emphysema risk is reduced by using masks with exhalation valves.

(Risk is eliminated using forced-air equipment.)

Emphysema induced by non-valve pollution masks??  I can't find any data on internet search that suggests that conclusion.  How many double blind studies have been carried out over 10-20 years on valve vs no-valve PM2.5 masks?  Disclaimer:  I am not great researcher nor lung professional.  If you know more, please share.  I don't mind being wrong, just want the source data.

FWIIW, the valves do reduce exhale backpressure, but only a little.  I have several styles (valve/no valve)  but I prefer the non-valve style 3M 9501 (drugstore) and 9510 (Lazada - thx TallGuy) because they test well and fit into a pocket easily.  It is also simple to tell if they are sealing because they collapse a little on inhale and expand on exhale.

11 minutes ago, DaveInSukhumvit said:

It is also simple to tell if they are sealing because they collapse a little on inhale and expand on exhale.

Amazingly, last night at home, my Thai wife asked me if she could have one of my 3M masks to take and wear outside to work today... something she'd never ever done before...

And as I was explaining to her how to wear the mask and fit it properly... that was EXACTLY the way I told her how to know if she had gotten a good, tight face seal -- that when breathing in and out with the mask on (at least for the flexible fabric varieties), the material is going to puff in and out a bit as you breath.

If the brain-trust in Government House thinks it's bad now, just wait until the Northern rural locals begin this year's burning of their forests in order to clear the forest undergrowth in order to harvest mushrooms that account for a minuscule percentage of GDP and in turn, destroys the health of the country.  At what point do these <insert your own word> start to actually address the horrendous problems with the 2.5 ppm pollution in this country that is endemic from, now, January until the start of the Rain Season. 

Archived