Teachers-to-be can graduate with poor English, Thai panel decides

webfact

57 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Deflection..as usual.

My professional field actively recruits nurses from the Philipines,India (notably Kerala) Malaysia,Hong Kong andSouth Korea.

In my time I never saw a Thai Registered Nurse,radiographer,pathologist or technician.

They can't speak English and their so-called qualifications are extremely poor.

The usual Thai apologists who scream about Western teachers-merely enhance the already blatant image of a lazy,ignorant country which cannot even meet basic ASEAN standards-they just find another excuse to flub it-and to blame others.

They have built an even better wall then Hadrian or East Germany.They have built a self satisfied wall of smug ignorance.

I find it quite annoying when Thais look down on their neighbouring countries such as Cambodia. We all know what happened in that country about 40 years ago. All or most educated people were executed. Less than 2 generations later Thailand and Cambodia are probably very similar when you compare education levels or standards. That's smug ignorance for you!

Also, I am sure the level of spoken English in Cambodia will improve to some degree in the future. It certainly won't here. I might not know much but I know that.

I don't feel guilty about criticising Thais any more simply because they have a very high opinion of themselves.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

I find it quite annoying when Thais look down on their neighbouring countries such as Cambodia. We all know what happened in that country about 40 years ago. All or most educated people were executed. Less than 2 generations later Thailand and Cambodia are probably very similar when you compare education levels or standards. That's smug ignorance for you!

Also, I am sure the level of spoken English in Cambodia will improve to some degree in the future. It certainly won't here. I might not know much but I know that.

I don't feel guilty about criticising Thais any more simply because they have a very high opinion of themselves.

I too feel no qualms whatever about critising Thais. Of course they are people and deserve respect for that. They're also arrogant, xenophobic, lazy, ill-educated and extremely ill-mannered (despita all the Krabs and Ka's and wais and whatnot, all of which are designed to compensate for their having no manners. They deserve no respect at all for all those characteristics and I refuse to give respect until it is earned..

It seems to me like you missed a bit in your summary. The Khmer Rouge purged all the intellectuals some decades ago, yet Cambodia still compares favourably with Thailand and all Thailand went through was propaganda designed to make the rich even richer. Worth a mention...

12 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

You dont think perhaps there might be a bigger picture ?

Yes, but leave the English teachers to speak English because in theory they are the ones qualified to do it.  You don't expect a Maths teacher to teach English do you?  It would be different if we were talking about an English program; we're not!

On 1/14/2019 at 9:07 AM, Chippy151 said:

It would be nice if they could set an example to their students. Teach the students that if you learn English you can have a conversation with someone who isn't Thai. That alone must be worth something.

Also, I believe that teachers should encourage their students to be interested in the outside world. 

But again, from my experience, good luck with that.

Please remember that most Thais love Thailand, are not interested/ignorant of a world outside of Thailand (except Korean soaps, dubbed of course) and don’t want to/cannot afford to travel outside Thailand. 

Therefore no interest in learning other languages.

6 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Deflection..as usual.

My professional field actively recruits nurses from the Philipines,India (notably Kerala) Malaysia,Hong Kong andSouth Korea.

In my time I never saw a Thai Registered Nurse,radiographer,pathologist or technician.

They can't speak English and their so-called qualifications are extremely poor.

The usual Thai apologists who scream about Western teachers-merely enhance the already blatant image of a lazy,ignorant country which cannot even meet basic ASEAN standards-they just find another excuse to flub it-and to blame others.

They have built an even better wall then Hadrian or East Germany.They have built a self satisfied wall of smug ignorance.

a Thai-born academic with a PhD in Public Health.

Developing, delivering and evaluating the Australian-Thai primary health care and nurse practitioner role.

The project involved an academic exchange between Australia Catholic University (ACU) and Chiang Mai University for students undertaking Primary Care and Nurse Practioner courses.

nurses.jpg

7 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Guess the CEFR and special interest groups paid enough for this...Truly  SAD.. what next an MD degree in 3 years?  However, the ops for the wannabes will XXX

Takes less time to get an MD in Thailand because of the entry requirements.  Might want to look it up.  Makes sense to me but I'm on the paying end and not on the charging and not a member of the doctors money grubbing union. 

Archived