Poll shows Gen Prayut most suitable to be next PM

webfact

4 minutes ago, TonyR101 said:

I conducted my own poll in Chiang Mai and got a completely different set of opinions on the suitability of General Prayut as Prime Minister.

Most say the problem began with the Army's decision to abandon a democratic constitution, and hold a referendum asking the electorate whether they preferred a new undemocratic constitution or no constitution at all. The result is a dictatorial system offering only those options suiting a small sector of society believing their own superiority, and confident of being backed up by force when necessary.

A bit like the British Parliament in Victorian times.

To call it a referendum is a joke. It was forced through. Opposing opinions were not even allowed and the public was kept in the dark. The new constitution is not worth the paper it is written on.   It needs tearing up and binning and I would support nearly any party that had that as one of its policies. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

And you actually believe the other polls? 

I don't believe the other polls because they are highly biased and flawed in their polling process - but Superpolls is just straight lies. 

Superpolls started as the "Thai Researchers in Community Happiness Association", the one that brought us the 93%-99% Prayut approval ratings during 2015/2015, and was linked to the military.

At this point it’s useless to read or listen to news from any Thai media outlet.

We’re living under military rule, and one of the first things any military does during a coup is seize all communication. Everything you’ve been reading since the coup comes from the junta or is approved by them. That’s how this works. It’s propaganda.  

It wasn’t much better before the coup, but it’s worse now. 

6 minutes ago, dcnx said:

At this point it’s useless to read or listen to news from any Thai media outlet.

We’re living under military rule, and one of the first things any military does during a coup is seize all communication. Everything you’ve been reading since the coup comes from the junta or is approved by them. That’s how this works. It’s propaganda.  

It wasn’t much better before the coup, but it’s worse now. 

I thought TV was a bit different but I couldn't put my finger on it.  Thanks for explaining.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Prayut most suitable to be next PM:cheesy:

What a load of bol+++s, who were the people polled?

Where did they find them? In the loonie bin perhaps, because no rational sane person would ever vote for a control freak.

Where did they find them?

In the Army barracks possibly?

9 hours ago, HalfLight said:

That about sums it up. Good job Mike. It's how I feel about the man too, and I suspect many others. But what happens if he is rejected? Another coup? I'm not at all sure tha Thai people or the international community, would accept another coup (though what other countries would do about it is doubtful, buy some more shrimp perhaps?). It seems to me that this guy is at the end of the line. and I suspect that's what he thinks too. The wheel has turned and with any luck, a particularlty shameful and disreputable several decades of Thai history are drawing to a well overdue end.

With a bit of luck and a following wind.

The only wind is coming from the Junta and cronies and it's really on the nose. 

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Despite an history of corrupt governments, elected and non elected, there's not AFAIK, an history of election rigging.

Buying of votes with promised favors, cash incentives, coercion, peer group pressure, prevention of electioneering campaigning etc etc etc. But not poll rigging. 

Why do you suspect this will happen when there's no need? 

Yes there is no history of election rigging. In fact, the last few elections were observed by impartial international observers, and they all agreed those elections were free and fair. The upcoming election (whenever it actually is held) will lack those observers. 

The need for rigging is crystal clear, he will not stand any chance to become the next PM if he does not rig the election. Despite this "poll"  he is vastly unpopular, and not only in the north and north east, even previous coup supporters have said they will not vote for him, even if their life depended on it. 

Yes he has his own little backdoor, involving 250 appointed senators, but I fail to see how that scheme can work if PTP gets north of 200 seats in parliament, and that number would be considered a weak result for them, as they repeatedely had north of 250 seats. 

Vote buying you say ? Funny, as the level of vote buying we see currently absolutely trumps anything that alledgedly happened in the past, by people without a mandate whatsoever. 

3 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Yes there is no history of election rigging. In fact, the last few elections were observed by impartial international observers, and they all agreed those elections were free and fair. The upcoming election (whenever it actually is held) will lack those observers. 

The need for rigging is crystal clear, he will not stand any chance to become the next PM if he does not rig the election. Despite this "poll"  he is vastly unpopular, and not only in the north and north east, even previous coup supporters have said they will not vote for him, even if their life depended on it. 

Yes he has his own little backdoor, involving 250 appointed senators, but I fail to see how that scheme can work if PTP gets north of 200 seats in parliament, and that number would be considered a weak result for them, as they repeatedely had north of 250 seats. 

Vote buying you say ? Funny, as the level of vote buying we see currently absolutely trumps anything that alledgedly happened in the past, by people without a mandate whatsoever. 

I think the problem is rather more intractable than you suggest.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/27/its-going-to-be-chaos-thais-to-vote-in-february-for-first-time-in-eight-years

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Oh make no mistake, at the end of the day, even if his proxy party doesn't get a single seat in parliament, whatever government emerges does not have free reign at all. 20 year roadmap, fully NCPO appointed senate, you name it. 

I suspect that party will get a few votes here and there, mainly at the expense of the democrats, but I fail to see how they legally and honestly would get enough support to enure Prayuth a continued PM job. Not without rigging the election results that is..

14 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

His greatest achievement has been uniting the country - against him. If he wins the election it is solely due to the lack of foreign observers keeping the election on the straight and narrow. 

Yep. And this is misleading since the people completing the poll are probably from the demographical group. This appears to be an old story that was published a month or two ago. They didn't even change the photo. 

By the way, great profile pic!

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Most respondents also think that politicians who will be in the post-election government lack the ethics and are not qualified

This really isn't news. It would be news if they were not corrupt and did meet the qualifications. 

15 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

His greatest achievement has been uniting the country - against him. If he wins the election it is solely due to the lack of foreign observers keeping the election on the straight and narrow. 

Totally false, the country has been united. Do you live in Pattaya or somewhere and not talk to normal Thais?

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

Oh make no mistake, at the end of the day, even if his proxy party doesn't get a single seat in parliament, whatever government emerges does not have free reign at all. 20 year roadmap, fully NCPO appointed senate, you name it. 

I suspect that party will get a few votes here and there, mainly at the expense of the democrats, but I fail to see how they legally and honestly would get enough support to enure Prayuth a continued PM job. Not without rigging the election results that is..

You should study the constitution. There's a careful route map planned for Prayuth to become PM.

14 hours ago, eggers said:

So much sarcasm, consider these questions about Prayut & his Gov't,

- Has the country been stable since the Coup?

- Is the country worse off now, compared to prior to the Coup? 

- How have these "commenters" been adversely affected by Prayut's Gov't?

- Are Thai people better or worse off now than were before the Coup?? 

The simple answer for the complainers is, if don't like it here .....LEAVE!!

Sadly most Thais cannot leave and they have little control over their future , glad you find this acceptable.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

You should study the constitution. There's a careful route map planned for Prayuth to become PM.

Yes I am aware of that, however that route is only viable if the lower houses fails to reach an agreement to whom becomes PM, any result for PTP north of 200 seats will make that a formality. 

4 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Totally false, the country has been united. Do you live in Pattaya or somewhere and not talk to normal Thais?

I don't live in Pattaya and speak to quite a few 'normal Thais". One thing is dead sure, he didn't unite the country. People claiming that are living in a fantasy world. Repression never works, it also doesn't work in Thailand, full stop.

Hard to know whether to laugh or cry.

It's Thai poll which is probably as instructive as my luck in buying a winning mega millions lottery ticket tomorrow.

It does however point to the direction of the rigging of the election and subsequent outcome, which few people would be shocked about.

It's one of those Thai things where you know where it's headed, pointless even thinking about the legitimacy of any of it

17 hours ago, newatthis said:

Simple then: Join a party and stand for election. Surely, it's as easy as putting your name on the ballot paper. 

You're missing the point. He has to wait and see which party wins before joining and becoming party leader....doh!

This guy is high on power, ignores anyone who tells him he's failing, then this BS poll?! Even Prem tried to warn him, so what does he do, reverts to the same thing his nemesis did, handouts to the poor to buy votes. He obviously isn't one of the brightest individuals here in Thailand, if he spent more time studying history, instead of forcing people at gun point to follow him, he might have had a chance at being remembered in a good way. Instead he will be remembered as General S44, the hot tempered dictator with the thin skin.

Archived