Poll shows Gen Prayut most suitable to be next PM

webfact

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Yes I am aware of that, however that route is only viable if the lower houses fails to reach an agreement to whom becomes PM, any result for PTP north of 200 seats will make that a formality. 

You really ought to read the constitution or at least the many informed commentaries on it.

It is specifically designed and engineered through proportional type methods to prevent the PTP reaching power and to promote smaller parties, with the intent of producing weak coalition governments. That is the whole point of the last 5 years - to crush Thaksin's influence notwithstanding his strong support in the country. If in the event the PTP looks too resilient, the stooges and placemen in the Upper House will do as instructed.

Bit of a devil's advocate; but actually so far nobody has suggested a more suitable PM than Prayuth.... So maybe the poll is right after all ????

By the way, I do not like Prayuth, but a return to somebody of the Shin clan as PM would in my opinion be even worse.

Massage the ego time, if he looks great then he is great but still no confirmation of an election date, with figures like these you would think he would want to have the election before the people change their minds!

29 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Bit of a devil's advocate; but actually so far nobody has suggested a more suitable PM than Prayuth.... So maybe the poll is right after all ????

By the way, I do not like Prayuth, but a return to somebody of the Shin clan as PM would in my opinion be even worse.

Being a devil's advocate is different from coming up with unmitigated bilge.Most sentient beings could come up with better candidates.

Turning away from this nonsense, here's an intelligent analysis.

https://www.benarnews.org/english/commentaries/asean-security-watch/Zachary-Abuza-01142019143002.html

34 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

I can agree with you if he stand for election and has the people's mandate to be PM. This way he is accountable to the people the same way the Shins and other elected officials were accountable for 4 years. Of course you know the history of Thailand to know that the military keep staging coups before the full tenure were completed except one. That exception one must be a clear endorsement by the people. 

Nothing and no one can be worse than an general seizing power and staying in power, re-writing laws and keep the draconian mother of all law article 44. 

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I can agree with you if he stand for election and has the people's mandate to be PM. This way he is accountable to the people the same way the Shins and other elected officials were accountable for 4 years. Of course you know the history of Thailand to know that the military keep staging coups before the full tenure were completed except one. That exception one must be a clear endorsement by the people. 

Nothing and no one can be worse than an general seizing power and staying in power, re-writing laws and keep the draconian mother of all law article 44. 

What Thailand needs most is a government that is not corrupt. In the end that could be more important than whether it was elected or not.

Yes general consensus amongst Thai business people is there is no popularity and no welcome for him and his group. Some have said that they can't wait for a new Government as he will become a civilian and then they will go get him and give him what he deserves as a civilian. The polls are only propaganda in nature just like the having to see the 6pm 4.0 B.S with every channel kidnapped to sectioned to abide giving the free time. How odd he can think that their channels are his channel's and no big deal when their business loses the airtime money. Majority turn it off at 6pm.  Funny how it shows the military logos and last is the police for start and finish of this wretched NCPO Junta program. So polls are only propaganda method controlled just like everything else like the tv channels. 

6 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

What Thailand needs most is a government that is not corrupt. In the end that could be more important than whether it was elected or not.

Will make this simple. Non elected junta government which you professed that you don;t like is corrupted and they have been in power for more than the tenure of elected government. No law can get rid of them and they don't looks like holding on to the election promises. Meanwhile they tore up the constitution and wrote the constitution to demand obedience to their strategy for next 20 years and has their own appointed senators who can block any legislation. What is more important for you now? A elected government whom the people can vote out or a corrupt military government who continue to stay in power. You want to get rid of corruption; empowered the people with election. 

40 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

For the last two weeks I have been having a series of business meetings with several large Thai companies and the sentiment appears to be the military and the good General have over-stayed their welcome and folk can't wait to get rid of them.

If you say so. However, my understanding is that the large Thai companies and banks are solidly behind the continuation of the Junta in "democratic" form. 

27 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Will make this simple. Non elected junta government which you professed that you don;t like is corrupted and they have been in power for more than the tenure of elected government. No law can get rid of them and they don't looks like holding on to the election promises. Meanwhile they tore up the constitution and wrote the constitution to demand obedience to their strategy for next 20 years and has their own appointed senators who can block any legislation. What is more important for you now? A elected government whom the people can vote out or a corrupt military government who continue to stay in power. You want to get rid of corruption; empowered the people with election. 

Unfortunately an election in Thailand does not necessarily mean that the next government will be less corrupt.

Clearly it is more than time for the military to step aside but it does not guarantee that Thailand as a whole will be better off. If the electorate restores all of those political dinosaurs to power nothing will have improved and corruption will continue unabated.

2 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Unfortunately an election in Thailand does not necessarily mean that the next government will be less corrupt.

Clearly it is more than time for the military to step aside but it does not guarantee that Thailand as a whole will be better off. If the electorate restores all of those political dinosaurs to power nothing will have improved and corruption will continue unabated.

Democracy does not guarantee no corruption but it give a legal recourse for the people to rid corrupt government without the risk of civil disorder. Malaysia is one fine example. I can add Japan and S Korea. All the examples of allowing democracy to prevail. 

20 hours ago, GarryP said:

You worry too much. As long as you keep away from the monarchy, you are quite safe in expressing your opinion. 

With so many people calling Prayuth the Fickwut he really is in social media, the courts would be overflowing with cases if he took action against them all. And this poll is about as reliable as a chocolate condom.   

I got my information on the subject of defamation from a restaurant owner in Cha-am when he asked me how I liked the hamburger and chips he served I said to him " the bun was quite small and the meat wasn't beef, ( was pork OK) there was no lettuce.  You put chili sauce on the hamburger when tomato sauce is what I expected ( not good with chili). I did eat it and the chips they were quite good.  He replied that my comments were defamation and that he was friends with the local police chief and the Mayor and that he could make big trouble for me and reminded me that defamation was a criminal offense in Thailand with some advice that I should keep my mouth shut in future...TIT.  This is a true dinky Di true blue story...5555

After reading this sobering article, it is just another reason for foreigners not to be foolish enough to put 800,000 baht or deposit 65,000 baht monthly into a Thai bank just to obtain a one year visa extension.  

Once the foreigner complies with this Thai banking requirement, they are plagued with the 90 day check in, and most recent TM30 form that must be submitted within 24 hours when changing your address, or re-entering Thailand.  You just can't make stuff like this up but evidently someone did, lol. 

27 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I got my information on the subject of defamation from a restaurant owner in Cha-am when he asked me how I liked the hamburger and chips he served I said to him " the bun was quite small and the meat wasn't beef, ( was pork OK) there was no lettuce.  You put chili sauce on the hamburger when tomato sauce is what I expected ( not good with chili). I did eat it and the chips they were quite good.  He replied that my comments were defamation and that he was friends with the local police chief and the Mayor and that he could make big trouble for me and reminded me that defamation was a criminal offense in Thailand with some advice that I should keep my mouth shut in future...TIT.  This is a true dinky Di true blue story...5555

He sounds like a right a-hole, also trying to show off by mentioning his supposed connections.  Why ask if he was not prepared to listen? In any case, surely you defamed the burger not him and I don't think the burger will sue you. 

Joking aside, if your comments were given directly to the restaurant owner, they do not fall within the ambit of defamation under Thai law. 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

He sounds like a right a-hole, also trying to show off by mentioning his supposed connections.  Why ask if he was not prepared to listen? In any case, surely you defamed the burger not him and I don't think the burger will sue you. 

Joking aside, if your comments were given directly to the restaurant owner, they do not fall within the ambit of defamation under Thai law. 

It appears if he makes a complaint about it the red tape and fallout from it can be very inconvenient to say the least.  I now often think I could help Thais improve things but now keep my mouth shut...good advice in Thailand, sometimes.

58 minutes ago, David Walden said:

It appears if he makes a complaint about it the red tape and fallout from it can be very inconvenient to say the least.  I now often think I could help Thais improve things but now keep my mouth shut...good advice in Thailand, sometimes.

The police should not even accept the case. I would not worry about a matter such as this. People like him or her are usually all bluster. When you call them out on it they quickly shut up.  

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

My experience has generally been that Thais are really not at all interested in what Westerners (no matter how experienced or skilled) think or have to say about anything relating to Thailand. The Thais know best.

That is why Thailand is the centre of the world and the Thai language is about to become the world language (according to a certain world genius named Prayut)!

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

The police should not even accept the case. I would not worry about a matter such as this. People like him or her are usually all bluster. When you call them out on it they quickly shut up.  

Shut up.   It seems to work...I'm never gunna speak to you again.  Gunna a very important word in Australian English.  Derived from the words "going to get around to doing certain things but never seem to get it done mostly blokes."  Often expanded to Gunnado, should be included in every English speaking dictionary in the world I'm sure they are gunnadoit (gunna-do-it) one day.   "he said I'm gunna get around to building that shed one maybe soon one day.  That's a gunnadoit.

40 minutes ago, Eligius said:

My experience has generally been that Thais are really not at all interested in what Westerners (no matter how experienced or skilled) think or have to say about anything relating to Thailand. The Thais know best.

That is why Thailand is the centre of the world and the Thai language is about to become the world language (according to a certain world genius named Prayut)!

You have been watching too many "The King and I " re-runs on TV.

7 hours ago, jayboy said:

You really ought to read the constitution or at least the many informed commentaries on it.

It is specifically designed and engineered through proportional type methods to prevent the PTP reaching power and to promote smaller parties, with the intent of producing weak coalition governments. That is the whole point of the last 5 years - to crush Thaksin's influence notwithstanding his strong support in the country. If in the event the PTP looks too resilient, the stooges and placemen in the Upper House will do as instructed.

The Thai Constitution has more interpretations than the Holy Bible.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:54 PM, joecoolfrog said:

Sadly most Thais cannot leave and they have little control over their future , glad you find this acceptable.

The "complainers" I ref to are the TV posters, who'd mostly be Farangs!! 

Archived