Ahead of vote, UK PM May warns it would be catastrophic to halt Brexit

webfact

Ahead of vote, UK PM May warns it would be catastrophic to halt Brexit

By Kylie MacLellan

2019-01-13T140129Z_1_LYNXNPEF0C0FJ_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ECONOMY-PRODUCTIVITY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May leaves 10 Downing Street in London, Britain, January 9, 2019. REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May warned lawmakers on Sunday that failing to deliverBrexit would be catastrophic for democracy, in a plea for support two days before parliament is expected to reject her deal with Brussels.

With the clock ticking down to its March 29 exit from the European Union and parliament deadlocked, Britain faces a hugely uncertain path that could lead to a disorderly exit or even remaining in the bloc.

May, who postponed a vote in parliament on her deal in December after admitting she was set to lose it, said lawmakers must not let down the people who backed Brexit in a June 2016 referendum.

"Doing so would be a catastrophic and unforgivable breach of trust in our democracy," she wrote in the Sunday Express.

"So my message to Parliament this weekend is simple: it is time to forget the games and do what is right for our country."

May has so far refused to retreat from her unpopular deal, which envisages close trading ties with the EU, but without any say on policy as Britain has now. The vexed Brexit issue represents Britain's biggest shift in foreign and trade policy in more than 40 years.

May's deal has come under fire from all sides -- with opponents of the EU seeking a cleaner break and many pro-Europeans pressing for a second referendum. May is expected to suffer a big defeat when parliament votes on Tuesday.

Brexit minister Stephen Barclay told BBC TV that persuading enough lawmakers to support the deal would be "challenging" but that even if it was rejected, he suspected parliament would ultimately support something "along the lines of this deal".

Opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn said leaving the EU without a deal would be catastrophic and his party would do everything it could to prevent that outcome.

However, Corbyn's priority is to force a national election and he said he would propose a vote of confidence in the government "soon" if May loses on Tuesday.

The Observer newspaper reported that military planners had been sent into several government departments to help with preparations for a no deal Brexit.

PARLIAMENT FLEXES MUSCLES

After a week in which parliament forced the government to promise to come back with a 'plan B' within days if May's deal is rejected, Barclay said the risk of parliament acting in a way that frustrates Brexit had increased.

The Sunday Times reported that rebel lawmakers were planning to wrest control of the legislative agenda away from May next week with a view to suspending or delaying Brexit, citing a senior government source.

Vince Cable, the leader of the pro-EU Liberal Democrats, said parliament would act to prevent a no deal Brexit, and could ultimately seek to prevent Brexit altogether.

"I think parliament will take control of this process, will insist that we pursue the option of no Brexit," he told BBC TV.

Cable said this could be done by revoking Article 50, the mechanism which triggered the exit process, or by holding a second referendum.

Former Conservative prime minister John Major wrote in the Sunday Times that the government itself should revoke Article 50 and ask parliament to consult on the options before calling another referendum.

Asked about the prospect of another referendum, Labour leader Corbyn told BBC TV:

"My own view is that I would rather get a negotiated deal now, if we can, to stop the danger of a no-deal exit from the EU on the 29th of March which would be catastrophic for industry, catastrophic for trade."

Corbyn said that if he forced a national election and his party won, Brexit may have to be delayed while they negotiated a new deal with the EU.

"An election would take place what February-March time, clearly there is only a few weeks then between that and the leave date, there would have to be a time for those negotiations," he added.

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; Editing by Keith Weir)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-14

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May, just get the message will you! Another referendum is your only way out of this shambolic mess.

The British public are now aware of the lies and deceit that were used to persuade the disgruntled few that the country would be better off out of the EU. They know better now.

Let the people speak.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

May, just get the message will you! Another referendum is your only way out of this shambolic mess.

The British public are now aware of the lies and deceit that were used to persuade the disgruntled few that the country would be better off out of the EU. They know better now.

Let the people speak.

Patronising drivel. The leave vote understood exactly what the issues were. The people have spoken.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Let the people speak.

" lies and deceit" ?

Suppose your message gives the truth then???

"disgruntled few"

The don't know better unless they can see into the future.

19 minutes ago, simtemple said:

Patronising drivel. The leave vote understood exactly what the issues were. The people have spoken.

Patronizing you say.

As you assure us of the certainty of understanding of over 17million people.

Shall we just take your word for it?

No, let’s ask the people.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Former Conservative prime minister John Major wrote in the Sunday Times that the government itself should revoke Article 50 and ask parliament to consult on the options before calling another referendum.

Someone is talking sense.

Most interesting thing is Corbyn's impending motion of no confidence, he has to do it or lose whatever credibility he has left, and history is not on his side since 1945 there has been some 20 odd motions of no confidence put by the various Opposition Leaders, all but one was defeated.

I predict that Corbyn would find it hard to even get 250 votes for. almost certainly the other opposition parties will abstain assuming May has revoked Article 50.

That does not mean the Tories are high and dry, this is a wounded Government that will really struggle to make it to 2022, the UDP may well prop it up but a few by-elections could see even them not being enough.

22 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Patronizing you say.

Already did that in 2016. That has not been acted upon yet. Took over 40 years to get a referendum on leaving the EU and you want one when we haven't even left yet. We also had a GE and people voted then. Both Libour and the Cons manifesto was to act upon the referendum result.  Banging on about another referendum is childish when the first hasn't even happened, Please don't say people didn't know what they voted for they did. Lets have another one in say 20 years, cn't be fairer than that, half the time when we got one, although I doubt the EU will be around like it is in its present state.

53 minutes ago, simtemple said:

The vote revealed that a percentage of them wanted to leave.

The percentage is now smaller.

Parliament will make its decision(s) based upon the latest numbers, not the old ones.

You really need to talk to Parliament about it.

Nobody here can help you.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Already did that in 2016. That has not been acted upon yet. Took over 40 years to get a referendum on leaving the EU and you want one when we haven't even left yet. We also had a GE and people voted then. Both Libour and the Cons manifesto was to act upon the referendum result.  Banging on about another referendum is childish when the first hasn't even happened, Please don't say people didn't know what they voted for they did. Lets have another one in say 20 years, cn't be fairer than that, half the time when we got one, although I doubt the EU will be around like it is in its present state.

Remind me who said: "“In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way"?

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It is encouraging to see Brexiteer hubris being reeled in. Not so long ago these boards were awash with Brexiteers salivating at their collective fantasy of an EU on the brink of implosion. Now, when reality has shown that the EU is the solid entity and it is the UK that is about to become a tawdry relic of history, the rhetoric has been toned down to 'the EU will probably change'. 

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Remind me who said: "“In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way"?

Who ever it was it doesn't matter. If one person more voted for leave than remain it is a victory. Let it happen and then review it after some time. Its not a best out of 3 although it would seem many remainers feel it should be,

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

It is encouraging to see Brexiteer hubris being reeled in. Not so long ago these boards were awash with Brexiteers salivating at their collective fantasy of an EU on the brink of implosion. Now, when reality has shown that the EU is the solid entity and it is the UK that is about to become a tawdry relic of history, the rhetoric has been toned down to 'the EU will probably change'. 

I would disagree the EU isn't a solid entity that you mention. Greece, Italy, Hungary and a few others would love to get out given the chance. I am against the undemocratic, bossy boys club that the EU has become. Its dodgy nontransparent ways, will I believe, be its downfall. If it was such a great organisation then the EU would let everyone leave. We all know that it isn't true.

19 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Who ever it was it doesn't matter. If one person more voted for leave than remain it is a victory. Let it happen and then review it after some time. Its not a best out of 3 although it would seem many remainers feel it should be,

And no previous vote is binding on a future vote.

52 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The vote revealed that a percentage of them wanted to leave.

The percentage is now smaller.

Parliament will make its decision(s) based upon the latest numbers, not the old ones.

You really need to talk to Parliament about it.

Nobody here can help you.

The percentage is now smaller????

Done your own poll have you?

I gaurantee the leave percentage would be a lot more than 52% now that people have seen that the mafia running the EU are nothing more than bullying criminals

11 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

I gaurantee the leave percentage would be a lot more than 52% now that people have seen that the mafia running the EU are nothing more than bullying criminals

To return your own question to you.

'Done your own poll have you?'

2 hours ago, simtemple said:

I think they want to speak again, we all make mistakes, many of the dementia crowd who voted leave are now underground.

21 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

on the other hand they want to keep their jobs and be able to pay the rent.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I would disagree the EU isn't a solid entity that you mention. Greece, Italy, Hungary and a few others would love to get out given the chance. I am against the undemocratic, bossy boys club that the EU has become. Its dodgy nontransparent ways, will I believe, be its downfall. If it was such a great organisation then the EU would let everyone leave. We all know that it isn't true.

All that Greece, Italy or Hungary have to do is to send a letter that they trigger article 50.

They have not done so. Why? Obviously, because they do not want to leave the EU.

Your comment is nonsense.

2 hours ago, simtemple said:

So you knew what the terms of exit were and the implications for the economy were, before the referendum? Can I borrow your crystal ball?

32 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

And how do you propose to guarantee that assertion? Shall we say 20THB held in escrow?

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Let the people speak.

And how precisely do they "know better now"??

It's pathetic to see people on here, who have fled the UK of the European Union, now having the luxury of telling us all how much better off we will be if we REMAIN in the Union of European Soviet Republics.....

What this woman should be saying is that it will prove to be catastrophic NOT to halt Brexit.

The people's judgement now that they know the facts, not fabricated lies, has been changed in favour of the obvious advantages of remaining in the EU, the world's largest trading bloc.

A new People's Vote is the obvious way out of this ridiculous situation, especially for the sake of young people.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Patronizing you say.

There's none so blind as those who cannot see [that the 'people' were 'asked' two years ago....]

Archived