Carnage as eight die and thirteen injured in pick-up/ electrical authority vehicle collision

webfact

Carnage as eight die and thirteen injured in pick-up/ electrical authority vehicle collision

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Eight people are dead and thirteen injured after an electrical authority maintenance vehicle collided with a pick-up carrying workers. The accident happened at a bend in Lomsak, Phetchabun yesterday. 

The injured people were taken to Lomsak Hospital, reported Daily News. 

The collision was between a Toyota Revo pick-up and an EGAT six-wheeler fitted with crane and mounted bucket for repairing electric lines. 

The accident happened at the second bend after the Huay Tong bridge on the Lomsak to Chumpae Road.

Pol Capt Winai Hansakkhu of the Ban Klang police is investigating. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-14

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

The accident happened at a bend in Lomsak,

I am not at all surprised at this. 

Every day I drive up and down Soi 88 in Hua Hin. For those not familiar with this road it has a winding hilly stretch for about two km. I am constantly having to brake hard and pull tight to the left because some k**b end is coming around the curve straddling the centre line. They appear to be completely incapable of negotiating a corner, and always take the shortest route.......:sad:

R.I.P to another eight who have joined the statistics.

Eight die.  If you really, really thought about this....it would paralyze you.  

That's really unbelievable and amazingly tragic.  

I've been on that road.  It's crazy how many super dangerous roads I've been on.  

I offer zero solutions, I have no idea how to solve this.  

I just hope that in 100-years, it will be solved.  

19 minutes ago, puukao said:

I've been on that road.  It's crazy how many super dangerous roads I've been on.  

No such thing as "dangerous roads" the danger is the drivers incapable of negotiating said road. 

Proactive police work is what it will take. And even at that, it will take decades but a gradual reduction in the carnage will be realized.

Check points are good to some degree for (besides raising cash donations) nabbing many illegal habits, aka bad/dangerous driving. But being on the city roads and highways nabbing those who chronically snub their noses at safe driving is what it will take.

Most western countries maintain a very proactive "highway patrol", thus, the carnage is comparatively low, very low as compared to Thailand. We are programmed to observe the rules of the road. If not, we pay for it dearly through traffic summonses and increased insurance rates (via a point system). To wit, I personally am 7 years summons-free, decades accident-free. It is the strict road rules that put me in this position (plus a defensive driving habit).

Such a program has to start from the top down. But the top in Thailand seems to do nothing more than give it lip service.

8 minutes ago, gwynt said:

No such thing as "dangerous roads" the danger is the drivers incapable of negotiating said road. 

I disagree with you road layout certainly makes a situation more dangerous at times. Sure its up to the driver too but how a road is laid out makes a lot of difference in how dangerous it is. Bad drivers just add to the danger.

3 minutes ago, gwynt said:

You are right but only in definition... 

There are roads on which junctions are blind or illogical, signing is late or absent, u-turns positioned dangerously, roads without ‘traffic calming measures’.... 

On these roads the accident rates are higher because of human failure...  roads can be and are designed to minimise human failure and thus create safer roads...

As such, some roads are more dangerous than others & in Thailand there are many designed in a manner which may indicate whoever designed such road / intersection does not themself drive for no consideration is provided for visibility, breaking distance, avoidance & separation from other traffic etc...

43 minutes ago, puukao said:

With regards to ‘corner cutting’ fixed plastic bollards on the centreline world prevent idiots from cutting the corner on blind bends & could have prevented this accident.

The major issue: There is no genuine concern. Those in positions of decision making power are not directly impacted by any of these accidents, thus, thre is no incentive for them to implement real change. There is no incentive to force the Police to operate up to their remit, there is no incentive for drivers to follow the rules, there is an absence of education amongst road users who are thus unable to recognise, understand and intelligently respond appropriately to the potential dangers - the consequence of all this apathy is the high, tragic & completely avoidable death toll. 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

This daily carnage will continue until somebody in authority takes drastic action, and insists that everybody regardless of who they are takes a proper, and i mean PROPER driving test, and learns how to drive.

TRanslation : until the bribeable people are replaced, the carnage will continue

HIGHWAY PATROL , sounds good , can be seen weekends , crawling up and down JOMTIEN beach road, with lights flashing like a christmas tree. while the weekend thai brigade, go flashing by, a  lot not old enough to hold a licence, and what does a helmet look like, (sigh)

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

This daily carnage will continue until somebody in authority takes drastic action, and insists that everybody regardless of who they are takes a proper, and i mean PROPER driving test, and learns how to drive.

You wouldn't know it watching them but quite a lot can drive - the question is, why do they drive the way they do?  I also believe that drastic action is needed but more along the lines of firstly making laws (believe it or not they have very few traffic laws), then enforcing those laws and providing extra courts to deal with those that fail to take note of the law.  Penalties should be such that they act as a serious deterent.

I really don't know what it is with Thai's - maybe the lack of effective (real) policing but they just don't give a damn.  My ex was driving long before she passed her test and each time she was checked she just said 'I left my licence at home' - 200 baht fine and on your way!!!  I would have been messing myself if I'd had no licence and got pulled over in the UK - they don't give a damn.  The laws are either not enforced, replaced by the daily tea money collection or don't exist - is it any wonder the carnage goes on?

I don't think foreigners are the only ones that know this - surely Mr Prayut does too?

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

You wouldn't know it watching them but quite a lot can drive - the question is, why do they drive the way they do?  I also believe that drastic action is needed but more along the lines of firstly making laws (believe it or not they have very few traffic laws), then enforcing those laws and providing extra courts to deal with those that fail to take note of the law.  Penalties should be such that they act as a serious deterent.

I really don't know what it is with Thai's - maybe the lack of effective (real) policing but they just don't give a damn.  My ex was driving long before she passed her test and each time she was checked she just said 'I left my licence at home' - 200 baht fine and on your way!!!  I would have been messing myself if I'd had no licence and got pulled over in the UK - they don't give a damn. Even before they had direct links to the DVLA, a UK cop would have checked I had a licence by phone before sending me on my way.  The laws are either not enforced, replaced by the daily tea money collection or don't exist - is it any wonder the carnage goes on?

I don't think foreigners are the only ones that know this - surely Mr Prayut does too?

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Totally agree Colin, but for example, you 'learn' to drive at a school in UK, pass your test, and then everyday driving is significantly different than what you learned. If everyone drove as the driving test requires, the traffic would come to a standstill.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

With regards to ‘corner cutting’ fixed plastic bollards on the centreline world prevent idiots from cutting the corner on blind bends & could have prevented this accident.

The major issue: There is no genuine concern. Those in positions of decision making power are not directly impacted by any of these accidents, thus, thre is no incentive for them to implement real change. There is no incentive to force the Police to operate up to their remit, there is no incentive for drivers to follow the rules, there is an absence of education amongst road users who are thus unable to recognise, understand and intelligently respond appropriately to the potential dangers - the consequence of all this apathy is the high, tragic & completely avoidable death toll. 

"There is no genuine  concern.."

That is it-in a nutshell.

It's all just a facade,a genuine Potemkin village.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Totally agree Colin, but for example, you 'learn' to drive at a school in UK, pass your test, and then everyday driving is significantly different than what you learned. If everyone drove as the driving test requires, the traffic would come to a standstill.

Yes i agree, but my point is nobody here, even does a driving test, most just buy a vehicle and jump behind the wheel and hope for the best.

An example of that is my ex, she went to Toyota Buriram, put down a small deposit on a pickup.

Asked them salesman to drive her home, on the way she asked him, can you show me how to drive, she had maybe 15 minutes of a salesman showing her the basics, she drove the salesman back to Buriram ( brave man) and off she went, no license no nothing how she is still alive is amazing.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I disagree with you road layout certainly makes a situation more dangerous at times. Sure its up to the driver too but how a road is laid out makes a lot of difference in how dangerous it is. Bad drivers just add to the danger.

I agree with you robblok , take U turns for instance . You want to do the turn , the vehicle coming towards you wants to do the turn, you can't see what is coming along behind him , he can't see what is coming along behind you . Less U turns and more roundabouts would help but there is a roundabout in the town where I live and despite a sign saying give way to those o n the roundabout the locals have not a clue !

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Good point but nothing will improve the Thai driving mentality 

Archived