Carnage as eight die and thirteen injured in pick-up/ electrical authority vehicle collision

webfact

Why is it that the police are too dim to realise they could be very wealthy just by enforcing the laws regarding road transport.

I am sure I read that the police get a slice of the fines that they impose , can anybody confirm this? so if a policeman was to stop and fine people for breaking the laws for only a few hours a day the revenue would be amazing, his share would certainly improve his lifestyle, and maybe in a few years would affect people’s attitudes.

Having said this there is one insurmountable problem T I T

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

This daily carnage will continue until somebody in authority takes drastic action, and insists that everybody regardless of who they are takes a proper, and i mean PROPER driving test, and learns how to drive.

Until someone in authority takes drastic action... that'l be never then !!

I have also driven this road on many occasions and this particular section, on major trunk route 12, is narrow (just 2 lanes) and twists and turns up and down the mountainsides from just outside Lomsak eastwards via the Nam Nao National Park towards Chumphae. It is a very busy cross country route linking Laos with Burma across the north of Thailand used by many vehicles including heavy lorries and intercity buses travelling between Isaan and Lanna (Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in particular). This tragic accident appears to have happened on the dangerous 2 lane section with many bends on the descent from Nam Nao towards Lomsak. RIP victims and best wishes for recovery to the injured.  

9 hours ago, neeray said:

Most western countries maintain a very proactive "highway patrol", thus, the carnage is comparatively low, very low as compared to Thailand.

Yes' The UK death toll was eight, I believe, in the seven days covering Christmas and New Year. The figure in Thailand was 463. The same population, more or less. Incredible, isn't it.

10 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Must be the bend that was responsible for the accident.

Yes, Thais always blame the brakes, trees, rain, tiredness, incoming phonecalls, bends, ditches, oh yes, farangs. If in the poo, they'll admit to drinks, yaba, and whatnot... but they are good drivers, and if it weren't for the above, all would be hunky dory

1 hour ago, Redline said:

RIP sorry people, the government simply does care who or how many are killed on the roads here-these deaths are mostly preventable 

"the gov't simply does care..." 

You may have left out the "not" because if you haven't then they have the most peculiar way of caring-tho' fudging the figures certainly indicates a lethargic desire to sweep the slaughter under the carpet.

In any case the whole tragedy simply indicates the wholesale collusion between the populace and its gov't to keep the present situation going-be it dead or alive.

Horrific crash that likely could have been avoided. Time is money - too many of working age are in a hurry to get to work, to get home, to get to a restaurant, to their Mia noi, etc... More people die in automobiles every month in the U.S. than died in 9-11, yet we go to war for 16 years to fight against that "attack".  No attack considered with the automobile, also a major factor in the air pollution over Bangkok now.  The cost and headaches of driving made me lose my interest years ago....though I could still die in a taxi (Grab) or on a train or bus any day.  Just feel I am too old and dont need the stresses of driving my own car here.  Kudos to those who still have a love affair with the automobile.  Be careful out there people! 

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are right but only in definition... 

There are roads on which junctions are blind or illogical, signing is late or absent, u-turns positioned dangerously, roads without ‘traffic calming measures’.... 

On these roads the accident rates are higher because of human failure...  roads can be and are designed to minimise human failure and thus create safer roads...

As such, some roads are more dangerous than others & in Thailand there are many designed in a manner which may indicate whoever designed such road / intersection does not themself drive for no consideration is provided for visibility, breaking distance, avoidance & separation from other traffic etc...

Sorry I disagree, roads may very well be built or laid out badly, however the human element must drive to the conditions and the visibility available, failure to do so results in accidents like this one here. Driver training is non-existent here, and that also includes ALL Govt vehicles including the Police . After years of training in the UK I was allowed to drive Traffic cars in the Police, here they are in my mind all untrained, undisciplined and uncaring t other roads users therefore I drive with that in my mind all the time 

20 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You wouldn't know it watching them but quite a lot can drive - the question is, why do they drive the way they do?  I also believe that drastic action is needed but more along the lines of firstly making laws (believe it or not they have very few traffic laws), then enforcing those laws and providing extra courts to deal with those that fail to take note of the law.  Penalties should be such that they act as a serious deterent.

I really don't know what it is with Thai's - maybe the lack of effective (real) policing but they just don't give a damn.  My ex was driving long before she passed her test and each time she was checked she just said 'I left my licence at home' - 200 baht fine and on your way!!!  I would have been messing myself if I'd had no licence and got pulled over in the UK - they don't give a damn.  The laws are either not enforced, replaced by the daily tea money collection or don't exist - is it any wonder the carnage goes on?

I don't think foreigners are the only ones that know this - surely Mr Prayut does too?

He is Thai he obviously does not give a damn read the thread this is reality.

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

This daily carnage will continue until somebody in authority takes drastic action, and insists that everybody regardless of who they are takes a proper, and i mean PROPER driving test, and learns how to drive.

Yep. Unfortunately the need is for an 'authority training' and 'authority test' so that people can have confidence in the 'somebody in authority' to take the necessary drastic action. The need for a competent authority is all too evident.

10 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

"the gov't simply does care..." 

You may have left out the "not" because if you haven't then they have the most peculiar way of caring-tho' fudging the figures certainly indicates a lethargic desire to sweep the slaughter under the carpet.

In any case the whole tragedy simply indicates the wholesale collusion between the populace and its gov't to keep the present situation going-be it dead or alive.

Yes, missed the “not” oops, my bad

On 1/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, puukao said:

Eight die.  If you really, really thought about this....it would paralyze you.  

That's really unbelievable and amazingly tragic.  

I've been on that road.  It's crazy how many super dangerous roads I've been on.  

I offer zero solutions, I have no idea how to solve this.  

I just hope that in 100-years, it will be solved.  

Possible solution: Cameras on various such bends around Thailand that capture license plates of those crossing the center line. A few motorcycle cops enforcing driving laws wouldn't hurt.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:02 AM, richard_smith237 said:

With regards to ‘corner cutting’ fixed plastic bollards on the centreline world prevent idiots from cutting the corner on blind bends & could have prevented this accident.

The major issue: There is no genuine concern. Those in positions of decision making power are not directly impacted by any of these accidents, thus, thre is no incentive for them to implement real change. There is no incentive to force the Police to operate up to their remit, there is no incentive for drivers to follow the rules, there is an absence of education amongst road users who are thus unable to recognise, understand and intelligently respond appropriately to the potential dangers - the consequence of all this apathy is the high, tragic & completely avoidable death toll. 

I figure the faith Thais placed on fate, destiny , karma and reincarnation play a huge part in their mindset of road safety. 

Archived