Retirement extension of stay - Wife not Thai

My wife is not Thai, we have lived here since 2010, I have a Work Permit. However I will retire soon, and will look to obtain an extension of stay based on retirement for myself and my wife. I would ask the forum the following questions (and thank you for any answers)

1) Do we both need to deposit 800k THB in a Thai Bank?

2) Can the money be in a UK bank with documentary evidence to show it is there?

Shackleton

13 minutes ago, Shackleton123 said:

1) Do we both need to deposit 800k THB in a Thai Bank?

No. You can deposit 800K and apply for an extension of stay. Your wife can then apply for an extension as your spouse. She effectively piggybacks your extension.

13 minutes ago, Shackleton123 said:

2) Can the money be in a UK bank with documentary evidence to show it is there?

No. The 800K must be in a Thai bank account in your sole name. It will need to be in you bank for 3 months before the day you apply for the extension, IF you’re able to change the reason for your extension without leaving the country.

If you currently have a non ‘B’ visa they might want you to leave and get a new non ‘O’ visa before applying for the extension based on retirement. In which case they should only insist the funds are in your bank for 60 days before applying for the extension.

Whether or not you can switch reasons for your extension, or need to get a new visa/entry first, will depend on the policy at the office you apply at.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

No, wife does not have to show any income, bank account or even 100 Baht note.

But if you do piggyback and the husband dies then the wife has, is it 10? days to leave Thailand.

Also you must show certified marriage certificate.

1 hour ago, Shackleton123 said:

Superfast reply! and good news too. Thank you very much.

Shackleton

The news may not all be good, though, unfortunately.

If you married your wife in the UK then you will first need to get your marriage certificate formally legalised as a prerequisite to her piggy-backing on to your retirement extension on dependency grounds. This will entail a convoluted bureaucratic process which will become apparent to you as you follow the step-by-step guide in the link below:-

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

If you married your wife in the UK then you will first need to get your marriage certificate formally legalised as a prerequisite to her piggy-backing on to your retirement extension on dependency grounds. This will entail a convoluted bureaucratic process which will become apparent to you as you follow the step-by-step guide in the link below:-

Interesting - the couple of times I have had to do this I went to the UK embassy/consulate and they stamped and signed a copy of my marriage certificate (or is it a licence, I forget.)

1 minute ago, briley said:

Interesting - the couple of times I have had to do this I went to the UK embassy/consulate and they stamped and signed a copy of my marriage certificate (or is it a licence, I forget.)

Yes, the Embassy did use to do the necessary, but the procedures were changed (for the worse) a couple of years ago.

52 minutes ago, briley said:

You should have kept the original and submitted copies, that's what I have done when having to submit consular certified docs.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Then I'm wondering if my wife can change from the guardian extension to piggy back my retirement extension?

You wife and child can apply for extensions for being a member of your family that will be valid for same amount of time as yours.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Currently we need to season 500k and 800k respectively for our visas so if the kid can have a student extension without a guardian then it could save me some money?

That is not necessary for your wife to get the extension. Your child does not have to be on an extension for attending school they can be on the same type of extension as your wife based upon your extension until they are over 20 years old.

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:36 PM, OJAS said:

We were married in the United States.