BANGKOK 23 March 2019 23:31
guzzi850m2

Triumph Street twin 2019- Honda CB650R?

8 hours ago, hello55060 said:

Thanks for the advice and to the other posters as well who reminded me that top end isn't all, you have swayed me towards the mt09 now and because of the weight factor explained below. How would I go about using the 20k voucher, do I just got into the shop and say about the price like asking if they will give 20k discount off the 400k or do I need to have a voucher printed or something first and when does it expire? Plus upon closer inspection, the z900 is actually 210kg, the mt09 says it's 188-193kg depending where you read off so an extra 22-17kg is quite a big difference. I'm only a 52kg 5"8 guy lol and I got a Ninja 650 with 8k kilometers on it and that's 186kg so I think the extra weight maybe not so fun for me with the z900 and a bit of a struggle in city environments, especially in BKK where I would be riding. And apologies to the OP for somewhat hijacking the thread a bit. Appreciate all the input.

No problems.

I think it's good to discuss bikes in the around 300-450k range.

The Z900 is really a track bike, the Z900RS is really beautiful and have milder cams for more mid range grunt but looses some HP on that account. 

Another review of the CB650R, tester very happy with it:

So the price is about 8000EU which is app 288k baht and we can get it for 305k baht here which is not too bad.

Street Twin 2019 is listed at 8100BP which translate into 336,5k baht and it cost 407k baht in LOS for the cheapest colors.

Honda EU/Thai price difference= 17k baht ~ 540$

Triumph EU/Thai price difference= 70k baht~ 2200$

So looks to me that Triumph Thailand are still keeping somewhat inflated prices and when we look at the new Speed Twin the difference is even bigger. Okay lets not forget when the old air-cooled Bonneville was sold here it was over 800k baht so things have improved a lot but still not fully there. Tempted to write to Triumph and ask them why such a difference! 

Sorry; just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 12:26 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

Another review of the CB650R, tester very happy with it:

So the price is about 8000EU which is app 288k baht and we can get it for 305k baht here which is not too bad.

Street Twin 2019 is listed at 8100BP which translate into 336,5k baht and it cost 407k baht in LOS for the cheapest colors.

Honda EU/Thai price difference= 17k baht ~ 540$

Triumph EU/Thai price difference= 70k baht~ 2200$

So looks to me that Triumph Thailand are still keeping somewhat inflated prices and when we look at the new Speed Twin the difference is even bigger. Okay lets not forget when the old air-cooled Bonneville was sold here it was over 800k baht so things have improved a lot but still not fully there. Tempted to write to Triumph and ask them why such a difference! 

Sorry; just thinking out loud.

I've mentioned before The New Triumph Speedmaster is 645,000 bht in Thailand and 21K in Australia.The Aussie dollar being very weak ATM,that's less than 455,000 bht.

HOnda  honda  honda  honda  honda  honda...........................HONDA, I luv my cbr650, saw  the new one the other day at Bigwank Hua  Hin Looks  good  in black but I like the full fairing 320k took a  photo of the red one they had in stock with non stock exhaust

20160104_105131_resized.jpg

20190128_114651.jpg

• Sad 1

On 2/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, BKKBike09 said:

You sold your Ducati? 

+1 to JonnyF's comment: I bought an FZ09 in May 2014 and still have the bike. I love it. It was 435,000 when first introduced here; now as the MT09 it's under 400K, and also has all the goodies that the original FZ import didn't have (e.g. ABS, slipper clutch, traction control, quickshifter). For a CBU import I think it's hard to beat. The triple crossplane engine is a beauty. Like JonnyF I mostly ride it in BKK and I find it as easy to filter as my PCX (I'm 6'2"). Slightly narrower bars though are a good call. The main negatives for me are:

1. The original seat was bone hard (I had it re-shaped and some more padding added)

2. The tank capacity is on the small side

3. It used to be hard to find aftermarket accessories - I don't know about now 

4. It's quite hard to keep the front wheel on the ground in first and second gear (Ed. - this is not a negative)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Still got the 899 but I use it only for what it's intended i.e. 2-3 hour blasts out of the city (Rayong, Kanchanaburi etc.) and track days. Love that bike, 22k kms so far and the biggest issue was fork seals!

Good point on the small tank on the MT09 but I found that it's not too bad in terms of kpl. I can easily get 200 kms between fillups if I'm touring at sensible speeds. I find the seat ok but I made a detachable pillion 'cushion' for the gf as it's pretty much a slab back there.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:49 PM, findlay13 said:

I've mentioned before The New Triumph Speedmaster is 645,000 bht in Thailand and 21K in Australia.The Aussie dollar being very weak ATM,that's less than 455,000 bht.

The strong baht and weak AUD / GBP is definitely making bikes seem comparatively expensive here, but in the case of the Speed Twin I do think Triumph Thailand has overpriced it by about 10%.

Maybe due to high demand in other regions so they can afford to chance it with a high price here, if it doesn't sell then they have customers lined up elsewhere...

Now with all this positive talk about the MT09 and I also talked to an expat yesterday on a MT09 which basically said the same as earlier posts, got me thinking hard.

I will have to check the MT09 more, visit some shops next week.

The Bonneville is all about the look and the MT09 is more about a fun ride, both got very torquey engine.

Sadly the Speed Master is out of budget, due to family commitments my max budget are in the 400k range.

Thanks for the inputs guys, all lot of food for thought.

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Now with all this positive talk about the MT09 and I also talked to an expat yesterday on a MT09 which basically said the same as earlier posts, got me thinking hard.

I will have to check the MT09 more, visit some shops next week.

The Bonneville is all about the look and the MT09 is more about a fun ride, both got very torquey engine.

Sadly the Speed Master is out of budget, due to family commitments my max budget are in the 400k range.

Thanks for the inputs guys, all lot of food for thought.

IMO the XSR900 is a better looking bike (same same -different clothes).

Whilst there check out the MT07 and XSR700.

The twin is probably the more sensible option for over here and plenty grunty/fast enough.

In fact, plenty of journos worldwide actually prefer the twin over the triple.

I would need to ride both to make an informed opinion, although i've always thought triples acted closer to a 4 than a twin, and i don't like in line 4's.

Let us know your thoughts once you've seen them, sat on them, or ridden them.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

IMO the XSR900 is a better looking bike (same same -different clothes).

Whilst there check out the MT07 and XSR700.

The twin is probably the more sensible option for over here and plenty grunty/fast enough.

In fact, plenty of journos worldwide actually prefer the twin over the triple.

I would need to ride both to make an informed opinion, although i've always thought triples acted closer to a 4 than a twin, and i don't like in line 4's.

Let us know your thoughts once you've seen them, sat on them, or ridden them.

The XSR doesn't really tick for me, looks somewhat odd to me, but that's me.

Yes I also saw one bike journalist from a well know bike magazine saying he gonna buy the new ST 2019 for the looks alone but it will not be his only bike but those guys must love bike enormously since they are making a living testing them (lucky bastards). 

Agreed that the ST is powerful enough for Thai roads but the MT09 will very likely have a huge fun factor whilst riding it.

Try check out this owners review (bike tester as well) of the MT09, he absolutely loves it and he demonstrates how much toque that triple engine got and he says that the Triumph Street triple is a more complete bike but at 50% more cost and not worth it to him:

41 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

The XSR doesn't really tick for me, looks somewhat odd to me, but that's me.

Yes I also saw one bike journalist from a well know bike magazine saying he gonna buy the new ST 2019 for the looks alone but it will not be his only bike but those guys must love bike enormously since they are making a living testing them (lucky bastards). 

Agreed that the ST is powerful enough for Thai roads but the MT09 will very likely have a huge fun factor whilst riding it.

Try check out this owners review (bike tester as well) of the MT09, he absolutely loves it and he demonstrates how much toque that triple engine got and he says that the Triumph Street triple is a more complete bike but at 50% more cost and not worth it to him:

When i said twin, i meant the MT07 or XSR700.

Understand the retro-industrial XSR looks are not to everyone's tastes.

But then i don't like the transformer/predator/flying insect looks of modern bikes or the MT series.

The last modern bike i found highly desirable in the looks dept were the 2005-2010 Speed Triples. The bug eye look of the 2011-current models are just too trannsformerish/Japanese for my tastes.

• Like 1