Nan vs Loei. Best area to build home

I am looking for feedback and tips from knowledgable guys who have built or bought homes with stunning views in Nan or Loei. Which areas are prime, which to avoid? Which Amphoes are best to be near for necessities? Already have designed 4000sf home, but need engineering and plans incase you can refer builder for upscale build. I am retired and have designed and built in Los Angeles for 30 years. I have been reading blogs in this forum for years and I respect your efforts to offer solid information. Having traveled in Thailand for the last 14 years and have a Thai family I beg you guys to please spare me the obligatory warnings of scams, cultural irregularities, obstinate officials, so lets get to the nitty gritty so I can get out of Los Angeles and settle down with the rest of you suffering souls who have already been there, done that.

Sorry,  the nitty gritty  is you won't own it and by your post seems. Like it will be a multi million  baht house. If you insist,  the local planning offices have architects that draw up plans  for a fraction of the cost an independent architect would  charge and you won't have any problems with building  permits 

I don't live in either, but have spent quiet a bit of time in both. So my 2 cents...

Loei: More foreigners (although not too many), so less likely to be lonely. As far as views go, well you've got the Mee Khong River. Closest city with decent shopping, nightlife and restaurants, plus a good hospital would be Udon Thani.

Nan: Much more isolated, far fewer foreigners. Personally I find Nan to be stunning beautiful. Loei is also beautiful, but Nan takes it to a whole new level. While there has been recent tourism development, it's aimed at Thais and seems to be more eco friendly and in tune with the environment. If your an outdoors sort of guy, cyclist, runner, hiker, bird watcher, this is the place to be. Closest large city is Chiang Mai, which offers much more than Udon.

At the end of the day I think it depends what you are looking for. Nan is more isolated, especially for a foreigner. This could be a problem if you enjoy the company of other expats. So while I think Nan is more beautiful, I'd personally probably build in Loei with a view of the Mee Khong. Nan is just around the corner if you fancy a weekend trip.

Re your family: To the best of my knowledge there are no international schools in either town. Some local school have English language programs that employ western teachers.

I actually Iive in Loei, have lived here for 7 years and been coming here for 20 years, there is an airport, air asia and nok air in and out. There is a cycling community Thai/falang with many bicycle lanes, fitness clubs/yoga if you want anymore information I will be only too glad to help

On 1/15/2019 at 1:47 AM, peleid said:

I actually Iive in Loei, have lived here for 7 years and been coming here for 20 years, there is an airport, air asia and nok air in and out. There is a cycling community Thai/falang with many bicycle lanes, fitness clubs/yoga if you want anymore information I will be only too glad to help

Thanks peleid,

Regarding areas to live, we must be near enough to a middle grade school. But we also want to explore the very best district to build that has awesome views. Which districts have a view of the Mee Khong river? Recently I spoke to a guy who is selling a 15 rai hilltop house which overlooks Stone Mountain, but seems to be a long haul to town. Still looking into this.

• 3 weeks later...

I like chiang khan in loei, it's at the mekong rivet and quite "hip". Big walking street that is very family friendly filled with restaurants and artsy stuff directly at the mekong.
Very bike friendly and prolly has reasonably good schools.

What's your budget for the house and. Land ?

Most good architects and building companies are from Bangkok but they are worth the price.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 3:55 AM, Johan drc said:

I am currently in this process of starting to build a house in Phu Ruea(in the mountains 60km from Loei), I am using a local building company for plans and building- turnkey). You are welcome to pm me

Hi Johan drc,

Just checking in to see how your building is progressing. Is there anything you would have done differently? We hope to be in the area by June this year.

Good luck with all aspects of construction.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:47 AM, peleid said:

Thanks peleid,

Regarding areas to live, we must be near enough to a middle grade school. But we also want to explore the very best district to build that has awesome views. Which districts have a view of the Mee Khong river? Recently I spoke to a guy who is selling a 15 rai hilltop house which overlooks Stone Mountain, but seems to be a long haul to town. Still looking into this.

Archived