Thai driving licence on your phone starts tomorrow

webfact

Thai driving licence on your phone starts tomorrow

8pm.jpg

Sanook reported that the scheme to be able to show details of a Thai driving licence on your phone starts tomorrow. 

From 15th January it will be unnecessary to carry the regular plastic licence with you if you have applied for the Electronic Driving Licence. 

This can be shown to the police and would be useful in the event of an accident. 

Information on the digital licence includes allergies, blood type, illnesses, rights to use hospitals, person to contact in an emergency, location and tracking information. 

Anyone with an old licence can now apply for the new EDL at Department of Land Transport offices nationwide said chief of the DLT Pheerapong Thawornsupacharoen. It is also available for those seeking a licence for the first time.

Those with both car and motorcycle licences were eligible. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-14

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, South said:

I have a photo of my licence on my phone. Enough info there!

maybe - but not legal if asked for your licence.

just like your passport - do you really think it would be acceptable for leaving the country and entering another? 

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

maybe - but not legal if asked for your licence.

just like your passport - do you really think it would be acceptable for leaving the country and entering another? 

I have both on my phone, all it does is to offer a bit of breathing space if asked.

26 minutes ago, petermik said:

And if your doing nothing wrong it can be an asset.....:thumbsup:

You are making a very bold assumption that those doing the tracking are both honest and have integrity and have your interests at heart! ????

38 minutes ago, webfact said:

From 15th January it will be unnecessary to carry the regular plastic licence with you if you have applied for the Electronic Driving Licence.

Yeah, it's a real burden to lug around this (0.5 gram ?) plastic card compared to a telephone.

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

How will the DLT know my blood group, illnesses, allergies etc etc. Only if I know and tell them what I want them to know. Load of unnecessary rubbish. Stick with that massive piece of plastic !

Better bragging rights in the bar if you have it on your latest 'expensive' chinese phone then you can be  tracked all the way from China.

????????????

Like I have said already - if this involves a Government App on my phone then it is a firm no go for me and I would advise others to very carefully consider what they are installing on their private devices and what permissions it will be requesting

I now have a bare minimum of apps on my smartphone - no FB etc, if I want to access FB I use my browser, the latest Android OS allows a certain amount of control regarding permissions for Apps - it is amazing how many of them will not work unless you allow them to access your privacy

Beware

Just now, racket said:

So what's the different between just taking a photo of your current driver license instead of downloading an app on your phone?

You can't track a photo, easy to photo shop your face on another photo of another licence.

Afraid I'm going to be stuck dragging all 10 grams of it around like some kind of penance for being an IT luddite and no consideration given for my hip problem.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

This sounds interesting, a driving licence on your phone that tracks your every movement.

actually it is a good thing to have a digital license I think, no more hit and run if the plates are identified, no more fake driving license also. I don't believe any government will track 50 millions drivers daily.. even if they could.. what would be the reason for that. 99% of people are just living their life normally and don't need to be tracked. In that way CCTV are more invasive.. but useless when needed. 

Archived