Thai driving licence on your phone starts tomorrow

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, thurien said:

I start walking with phone in pocket: Walking Street first, then BitchRoad down to Soi6 then a move over to Buakhao etc., and I do this every day...what a boring profile to the powers in charge

What makes you think they give a toss about where you go? The only people they would want to track are those breaking the law or being controversial. As any foreigners in Thailand are there by choice they have accepted the laws and Thai ways so should have no need to worry. I would be more worried about the security of the information that is gained, which is far more dubious.

6 hours ago, siambluesky said:

actually it is a good thing to have a digital license I think, no more hit and run if the plates are identified, no more fake driving license also. I don't believe any government will track 50 millions drivers daily.. even if they could.. what would be the reason for that. 99% of people are just living their life normally and don't need to be tracked. In that way CCTV are more invasive.. but useless when needed. 

Bet you're a fan of faeces book as well.

7 hours ago, racket said:

So what's the different between just taking a photo of your current driver license instead of downloading an app on your phone?

I haven't seen anything about an app mentioned in the news article, nor can I find such an app in Google Play store. Will the DLT install it on my phone right then and there, when I go to apply for it?

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Just downloaded DLT app...look like first step is go to school and take an intensive Thai language course...

emoji16.png

For Android or for iOS? Can you post a link to the page where the app can be downloaded?

Not quite sure what the app is supposed to achieve, as the 'new' licence has a QR code on the back.

"Cops will be able to check details - like outstanding fines or bans - by scanning a QR code."

So whether the app only shows an image of your licence for the police to scan the QR code, I'm not sure. Perhaps a putting photo of the new licence on your phone would suffice? I don't know.

A bit more info:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1073493-digital-age-no-longer-necessary-to-have-a-thai-driving-license-with-you-from-january/

image.png.00093f6448991b1788c6722b67f93230.png

13 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

modern countries don't even bother to stamp passports anymore.  its all digital.  

Damn........ I keep reading about Thai 4.0. So, Thailand is not a modern country? Hmm....  ???? 

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so the cops hold your phone hostage now instead of your license? :shock1:

Sounds like a good move, to many holding their licence is no problem, but holding their phone - well that a different story. 

16 hours ago, CGW said:

Nonsense, look at your google history, even with the phone in "flightmode" mode you are still tracked, don't believe me? take a look :shock1:

Make sure you have plenty of free disc space to download info as they have your every movement ????

Google have changed and adapted their privacy settings and made it much easier for users to navigate through their own preferences, but this data gathering was possible 5-6 years ago when people just started to figure out how much information was exposed to google and various other apps. More stringent laws and changes have been made within the last 2 years. I looked to Google settings and I have location history turned off. My iPhone automatically reminds me now and then which apps I share location with. If you have installed "Find My iPhone" then it will record and update location history only for you in case you have lost your phone. Flight mode doesn't disable the phone, it just  blocks the SIM card more or less.

14 hours ago, Maestro said:

I haven't seen anything about an app mentioned in the news article, nor can I find such an app in Google Play store. Will the DLT install it on my phone right then and there, when I go to apply for it?

Yeah I ain't sure either, but keep in mind that some apps are only available in certain regions so basically you'll need to change the region of your phone in order to access apps that are mainly found in the country you currently reside in. I know it sounds weird but an example in my case was the K-bank app which wasn't available in App Store in my native country, so I changed the region on my phone to thailand and was thereafter searchable. 

8 minutes ago, racket said:

Google have changed and adapted their privacy settings and made it much easier for users to navigate through their own preferences

I agree they have indeed, but - most have no idea just how much data they are gathering in the first place, also you need to be able to navigate your way to get into your privacy settings and change them, they make unnecessarily difficult to do so. I downloaded the data they had stored for me, it took hours & I have a fast connection.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:06 PM, Vacuum said:

Yeah, it's a real burden to lug around this (0.5 gram ?) plastic card compared to a telephone.

But what do you do when the battery dies, or you drop it, or the ink fades? Can charging it harm you or burn your house down? Can you play games on your driver's license? Can you take selfies with it? Can you impulsively buy crap you don't need with it? Can it display/confirm your culpability in various illegal actions?  Can it give other people access to your mail, bank account, passwords, credit cards, etc.? Did it cost you more than you want to think about? 

No? Thought so! 

These plastic cards are far inferior to the magic tracking/brain/spyware box that most people carry now. 

Just admit it and move boldly into the brave new world! 

????

Today was an update in The Nation, at least in the printed edition:

- currently police want to see the real driver license otherwise they want money

- the app will show a QR code. The police will scan that and then they see your license details, fines to be paid, etc.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:22 AM, webfact said:

Anyone with an old licence can now apply for the new EDL at Department of Land Transport offices nationwide said chief of the DLT Pheerapong Thawornsupacharoen.

For Thais only or for all those who have valid Thai DLs?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lambiepie said:

Has anyone actually installed it on an iPhone - if so, instructions would be helpful as I have tried but the interface is Thai and I am unsure how to add my details

You could ask a Thai person to assist you. There are plenty of them around here.

I am sure one of the motorcycle taxi drivers is happy to help you - and get a little tip.

Archived