Thai driving licence on your phone starts tomorrow

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the time I show the police the receipt which some other police officer gave me when they took away my license.

And when they look at that document they know they can't take my license away a second time so they just let me go. No need for any digital license. ???? 

31 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You can't track a photo, easy to photo shop your face on another photo of another licence.

Afraid I'm going to be stuck dragging all 10 grams of it around like some kind of penance for being an IT luddite and no consideration given for my hip problem.

An app can't track you unless you give it permission to do so.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

How will the DLT know my blood group, illnesses, allergies etc etc. Only if I know and tell them what I want them to know. Load of unnecessary rubbish. Stick with that massive piece of plastic !

My GF just informed me that this information, blood group etc, is on their Thai ID card anyway.

Will it be necessary to go on-line to access the Licence? Or will it be an app installed inside your phone?

25 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Will it be necessary to go on-line to access the Licence?

Good question, how do they get it onto you phone ?  I have never had internet on a mobile phone, no need for it + cannot see a small screen..... my PC has a 42" monitor, and before this one was 32"  for past 10 years..

2 hours ago, CGW said:

You are making a very bold assumption that those doing the tracking are both honest and have integrity and have your interests at heart! ????

And are you convinced the databases are totally secure? I'm not.

But I do support the concepts involved to make life easier, more efficient etc.

I wonder if the overall site accessed to look at the license as it is in the LTO database also includes broader information about licenses, renewals etc. For example will it now be possible to renew a license totally on-line.

Further, my Thai driving licenses (car & bike) are lifetime licences. I'm 74 YO, i've read that over a certain age (not sure what the age is) lifetime license holders (possibly all license holders) have to do a retest or whatever as they get older, but getting clear information on this point seems to be elusive.

Perhaps the site accessed to look at the actual license on-line could contain broader information, like the point above.

2 hours ago, petermik said:

And if your doing nothing wrong it can be an asset.....:thumbsup:

and if your wife brother is BiB ? i like my afternoon delights she doesn't. I'm in a world of pain if she gets curious?
information a whole other income stream for brother.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Will it be necessary to go on-line to access the Licence? Or will it be an app installed inside your phone?

If it's an app then it is installed (inside) your phone.

And how exactly do you think the license get's in your phone? It's too big for the SIM card slot. It must come from somewhere. Maybe from the internet? ...

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If it's an app then it is installed (inside) your phone.

And how exactly do you think the license get's in your phone? It's too big for the SIM card slot. It must come from somewhere. Maybe from the internet? ...

No need for the sarky remarks, I was asking a perfectly valid question.

So you download the app onto your phone if you can. Then do you, the licence holder input the required data, or does the DLT (Hairy Cornflake ! ) send the info, via the internet, to your app. 

Then if the police need to see your digital licence, must you go on-line again, or is it stored in your phone.

A few general comments. 1) The app will eliminate the requirement of the police confiscating your license until you pay the fine and/or extort additional money from you.  Therefore, they write you a official ticket and you are on your way.  You pay or don't pay the ticket just like Thais. 2)  If you don't want the Thais to track you via the App, simply turn off your location services for the App in settings (at least on an Apple this is an option). 3) It would be helpful for ThaVisa to include the App link for download when it is ready as current searches in the iTunes store did not show anything !!

I can't help but ask myself negative things about this.

How many people don't have some sort of security on their phones? The comments that it would be good in the case of an accident (reference blood type, etc) is great, as long as you can get to the information. If the accident victim is conscious, ask them, but if not then you are stumped.

Similar thought, how many phones are going to survive a smash when the victim has literally been taken out?

(Pessimistic head on today)

29 minutes ago, kimjohansen said:

A few general comments. 1) The app will eliminate the requirement of the police confiscating your license until you pay the fine and/or extort additional money from you.  Therefore, they write you a official ticket and you are on your way.  You pay or don't pay the ticket just like Thais. 2)  If you don't want the Thais to track you via the App, simply turn off your location services for the App in settings (at least on an Apple this is an option). 3) It would be helpful for ThaVisa to include the App link for download when it is ready as current searches in the iTunes store did not show anything !!

This would require forward planning and testing to set up an itunes store account, the Gov work around is visit the nearest driving office and collect the 3.5 floppy disk with the app on and its up to you to do the rest, but locals will be offering a service once you have the disk.

location and tracking info.  in other words if you speed you will automatically be deducted points until your quota is used up.  You will then be informed via SMS that you must arrest yourself and throw your self in the lockup for driving without a valid license.  

What a ridiculous idea to make every driver install an app. How about an app that police officers install and use to check records of vehicle registration and drivers license detail. In Australia you don't even require a rego sticker (tax registration) as this is already linked to the number plate.  I think you don't even need to carry your license with you as the police can and do check online (even if you show your licence)  to see if any issues are outstanding, such as unpaid fines, arrest warrants,  demerit points etc etc.   No here make the common man responsible for police work. 

Archived