Thai driving licence on your phone starts tomorrow

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you possess a smart phone device, you become incapacitated in an accident, nobody knows your pin no or your swipe pattern to open it..

Or your phone is broken in an accident.. Dead phone..

The medics urgently need to know your blood type and/or any allergies you may have in transit to a hospital..

I'm sure after 6 mths this new electronic license will be dead in the water.. Unfortunately too many Thai bureaucrats think like school children, without any checks and balances..

I can see what's going to happen here, police check your license after accident, take the phone to the station to take picture or something and you have to go to the station next day or so to collect your phone. Oh, we sorry sir your phone go missing or or or.

i will stick to carrying my plastice one.

No need for the sarky remarks, I was asking a perfectly valid question.
So you download the app onto your phone if you can. Then do you, the licence holder input the required data, or does the DLT (Hairy Cornflake ! ) send the info, via the internet, to your app. 
Then if the police need to see your digital licence, must you go on-line again, or is it stored in your phone.

You scan the QR code on the rear of the licence. If you don’t have a QR code then you can’t use the app.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A good idea in some ways technology replacing the need for having things mailed out etc.  Question is, can this country manage the system and all the data?

What really is being gained?  

Anyone aware of similar systems in use in other countries.

Thailand needs to look at it's priorities. 

5 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Next thing in your phone will be the passport and visa, with biometric info, of course. You get convenience they get tracking tools.

Oh lord, someone stole my phone meaning I do not longer exist...:shock1:

4 hours ago, siambluesky said:

actually it is a good thing to have a digital license I think, no more hit and run if the plates are identified, no more fake driving license also. I don't believe any government will track 50 millions drivers daily.. even if they could.. what would be the reason for that. 99% of people are just living their life normally and don't need to be tracked. In that way CCTV are more invasive.. but useless when needed. 

How will a digital licence stop hit and run even if plates are identified. Drivers can drive different cars, swap plates, and I am sure that within a month this app will have been hacked.

If it's an app then it is installed (inside) your phone.
And how exactly do you think the license get's in your phone? It's too big for the SIM card slot. It must come from somewhere. Maybe from the internet? ...

I think you’re onto something. A phone or protective case with a slot big enough for a Thai license! Then the holdouts can also claim “My license is in my phone”.

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

How will a digital licence stop hit and run even if plates are identified. Drivers can drive different cars, swap plates, and I am sure that within a month this app will have been hacked.

The time, speed, location and direction of your phone would be the give away.

Also, most people swerve, or change speed when they hit something.

5 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

The only reason photo of the passport won't allow you to pass borders it's only because one cannot stamp

phones. Custom Officers would be totally lost without Entry Stamps in their hands.

Put the stamp on the persons forehead. ????

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This sounds interesting, a driving licence on your phone that tracks your every movement.

Given Big Joke's recent efforts, the tracking certainly has interesting implications for foreigners. However, this seems more of an effort to ensure that Thai people will actually have a license on their person. I'm sure the most common excuse the police hear is, "I left my license at home". This way they will always have with them, as most are constantly talking/texting while driving anyway, even on a motorbike.

4 hours ago, racket said:

An app can't track you unless you give it permission to do so.

Nonsense, look at your google history, even with the phone in "flightmode" mode you are still tracked, don't believe me? take a look :shock1:

Make sure you have plenty of free disc space to download info as they have your every movement ????

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This sounds interesting, a driving licence on your phone that tracks your every movement.

I start walking with phone in pocket: Walking Street first, then BitchRoad down to Soi6 then a move over to Buakhao etc., and I do this every day...what a boring profile to the powers in charge

Archived