Jump to content
BANGKOK 27 May 2019 16:11
webfact

Thai driving licence on your phone starts tomorrow

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Will it be necessary to go on-line to access the Licence? Or will it be an app installed inside your phone?

If it's an app then it is installed (inside) your phone.

And how exactly do you think the license get's in your phone? It's too big for the SIM card slot. It must come from somewhere. Maybe from the internet? ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If it's an app then it is installed (inside) your phone.

And how exactly do you think the license get's in your phone? It's too big for the SIM card slot. It must come from somewhere. Maybe from the internet? ...

No need for the sarky remarks, I was asking a perfectly valid question.

So you download the app onto your phone if you can. Then do you, the licence holder input the required data, or does the DLT (Hairy Cornflake ! ) send the info, via the internet, to your app. 

Then if the police need to see your digital licence, must you go on-line again, or is it stored in your phone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This sounds interesting, a driving licence on your phone that tracks your every movement.

Maybe I have to  buy a smartphone ? :crazy:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few general comments. 1) The app will eliminate the requirement of the police confiscating your license until you pay the fine and/or extort additional money from you.  Therefore, they write you a official ticket and you are on your way.  You pay or don't pay the ticket just like Thais. 2)  If you don't want the Thais to track you via the App, simply turn off your location services for the App in settings (at least on an Apple this is an option). 3) It would be helpful for ThaVisa to include the App link for download when it is ready as current searches in the iTunes store did not show anything !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help but ask myself negative things about this.

 

How many people don't have some sort of security on their phones? The comments that it would be good in the case of an accident (reference blood type, etc) is great, as long as you can get to the information. If the accident victim is conscious, ask them, but if not then you are stumped.

 

Similar thought, how many phones are going to survive a smash when the victim has literally been taken out?

 

(Pessimistic head on today)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Give the phone to the dog when you go out.

Tried that,he cost me a fortune calling his bitch in Barking....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, kimjohansen said:

A few general comments. 1) The app will eliminate the requirement of the police confiscating your license until you pay the fine and/or extort additional money from you.  Therefore, they write you a official ticket and you are on your way.  You pay or don't pay the ticket just like Thais. 2)  If you don't want the Thais to track you via the App, simply turn off your location services for the App in settings (at least on an Apple this is an option). 3) It would be helpful for ThaVisa to include the App link for download when it is ready as current searches in the iTunes store did not show anything !!

This would require forward planning and testing to set up an itunes store account, the Gov work around is visit the nearest driving office and collect the 3.5 floppy disk with the app on and its up to you to do the rest, but locals will be offering a service once you have the disk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

location and tracking info.  in other words if you speed you will automatically be deducted points until your quota is used up.  You will then be informed via SMS that you must arrest yourself and throw your self in the lockup for driving without a valid license.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah great idea - lose your phone - give all and sundry even more information to help them in identity fraud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a ridiculous idea to make every driver install an app. How about an app that police officers install and use to check records of vehicle registration and drivers license detail. In Australia you don't even require a rego sticker (tax registration) as this is already linked to the number plate.  I think you don't even need to carry your license with you as the police can and do check online (even if you show your licence)  to see if any issues are outstanding, such as unpaid fines, arrest warrants,  demerit points etc etc.   No here make the common man responsible for police work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a shame that you have to go Department of Land Transport offices to apply for one; doesn't that rather defeat the objective short term?

Maybe an on-line application would be a good idea?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yeah great idea - lose your phone - give all and sundry even more information to help them in identity fraud.

You don’t lock your phone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...