Ear exam and cleaning discomfort

marcusarelus

I went to check out some dizziness.  The doctor showed me on a tv screen what she was looking at in my ear and then did tests with my balance and walking and laying down with two people holding on to me at all times.  Everything was fine.  No disease or brain problems. 

She asked if I wanted the little bit of wax cleaned and I said OK.  Wheeee was that uncomfortable.  No sharp pain but like someone rummaging around your ear with a semi sharp instrument.  Dug my fingers into my palm so as not to move or yell.  Is that normal?  No blood and she didn't puncture my eardrum but did not feel good.  Was she just rough or does everyone feel like that and I'm oversensitive. 

Had ear wax removal done last year.  I thought it would be a quick flush and done.  I was wrong.  It was just as the OP described, very uncomfortable, always seeming on the verge of sharp pain but never quite got there.

Having a person probing deep into the ear, using sharp instruments with not a little force is very disconcerting.

I had pain  year ago while getting my ear cleaned. I complained to the doctor.

He told the problem was the skin was absent from some bone in the ear and he could do nothing about it the skin just has to grow back and cover the bone. He gave me 2 reasons this happens one I do not remember well but  had something to do lazers or some thing. The other which was my problem was using Qtips rubs off the skin.

I went back 3 months later no more Qtip cleaning and there was no pain the skin had returned over the bone

That could be the problem.do you use Qtips?Or probe your ears with other tings?

I forgot to mention he was using suction only. Woks great gets it all.

I have frequent ear clogging that sometimes requires cleaning at a doctor's office...most of the time it's just a suction device with some water and painless, no muss no fuss...

one time in Bahrain the shit clogged the cleaning device and shut it down...but they cleaned and restarted and got the job done...

best not to use a q tip as that just packs the shit down into the ear canal...I've found that if I wait and pour hot water into the affected area it will clear itself...just went thru an episode recently and it went from hard clogging to clearing in about 4 days...

hate to have that shit clogging my ear...very yucky...sorta like a big sebaceous cyst that needs to be squeezed but ye can't get hold of it...splatter the shit everywhere and lovin' it...still got a stain on the ceiling above the bed from 18 years ago when my dear wife hooked on to a big cyst on my back and the splatter was a monster...forever to remain on the ceiling as a memorial to our happy marriage...concentric half circles of pus and blood, symmetrical with bodily fluids and nature's way...

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I had pain  year ago while getting my ear cleaned. I complained to the doctor.

He told the problem was the skin was absent from some bone in the ear and he could do nothing about it the skin just has to grow back and cover the bone. He gave me 2 reasons this happens one I do not remember well but  had something to do lazers or some thing. The other which was my problem was using Qtips rubs off the skin.

I went back 3 months later no more Qtip cleaning and there was no pain the skin had returned over the bone

That could be the problem.do you use Qtips?Or probe your ears with other tings?

I forgot to mention he was using suction only. Woks great gets it all.

No Qtips.  Used sterile warm water and a cotton ball once.  Was dizzy for 3 hours.  Doctor told me it was because I was getting old.  My heart doctor agreed today.  Told me to walk more to lose weight and increase my circulation.  So I'm going to walk to the cheese shop tomorrow.  Ear doctor said don't put water or anything in my ear. 

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Doctor told me it was because I was getting old.  My heart doctor agreed today. 

What exactly was heart advise?  Vertigo (dizzy) when changing position (normally when getting up from sitting or slightly after) is very common if blood pressure goes too low for a few seconds (which happens sometimes if taking BP medications).

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

What exactly was heart advise?  Vertigo (dizzy) when changing position (normally when getting up from sitting or slightly after) is very common if blood pressure goes too low for a few seconds (which happens sometimes if taking BP medications).

He said more exercise and agreed with the circulation pills the ear doctor gave me to increase the circulation to the ear.  The ear doctor did all the vertigo tests fast and slow to see if I got dizzy.  Two women (doctor and nurse) pushing me all around on a bed might have been fun in a different circumstance. 

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

He said more exercise and agreed with the circulation pills the ear doctor gave me to increase the circulation to the ear.  The ear doctor did all the vertigo tests fast and slow to see if I got dizzy.  Two women (doctor and nurse) pushing me all around on a bed might have been fun in a different circumstance. 

Are you taking BP medications?  They could cause issue at home but not in doctors office (where BP is often much higher).  You mentioned heart doctor so figured it to be something to consider.  I find heart doctors all to willing to prescribe excess medications based on readings they get in hospital or office without consideration of how low it may go at home when not under stress.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Are you taking BP medications?  They could cause issue at home but not in doctors office (where BP is often much higher).  You mentioned heart doctor so figured it to be something to consider.  I find heart doctors all to willing to prescribe excess medications based on readings they get in hospital or office without consideration of how low it may go at home when not under stress.

Heart doctor and I agreed to cut the Concor dosage in half.  I wear a blood pressure and pulse watch so it's easy for me to track.  My pulse range is between 50 and 90.  I feel comfortable at 70 resting pulse rate. 

It is not the plus rate that I have an issue with - it is the actual blood pressure - when gets into the low 90's can get issues.  You should have an arm type blood pressure monitor that you can use at home during rest to get a good indications of your actual medication needs.  Wrist type monitors are often very inaccurate IMHO.  Don't know when your dizzy spells are but mine are low pressure when idle (after sitting at computer) - not when active.  But it does seem doctor concurs medication might be too much so hope it gets better now.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It is not the plus rate that I have an issue with - it is the actual blood pressure - when gets into the low 90's can get issues.  You should have an arm type blood pressure monitor that you can use at home during rest to get a good indications of your actual medication needs.  Wrist type monitors are often very inaccurate IMHO.  Don't know when your dizzy spells are but mine are low pressure when idle (after sitting at computer) - not when active.  But it does seem doctor concurs medication might be too much so hope it gets better now.

I have two arm units (battery and electric) at home and I check them against my wrist watch one.  The medicine's name is Concor (cut dosage in half).  I get dizzy when I look up or down like reaching for something on the floor or looking at an airplane flying overhead.  BP stays in the same range most of the time with variances due to time of day.  Pulse goes up and down but BP normally in the 110 to 130 range diastolic 70 to 80 (with ACE inhibitors) no booze. 

Had that type (bend down and almost fall) after dental cleaning about six months ago.  Chair was in an extreme downward position at head.  As slowly getting better over time did not see doctor and now do not feel.  But for an extended period had to be careful when bending over to tie shoes and pat dog.  Cheap drunk. 

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Had that type (bend down and almost fall) after dental cleaning about six months ago.  Chair was in an extreme downward position at head.  As slowly getting better over time did not see doctor and now do not feel.  But for an extended period had to be careful when bending over to tie shoes and pat dog.  Cheap drunk. 

I know what you mean.  Good thing I have a tall dog. I bought a shoe horn below.  I really like it.  I keep my shoes tied and slip them on and off.  Upsets me when people ask me to take my shoes off going into stores. 

shoe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 2:46 PM, marcusarelus said:

I went to check out some dizziness.  The doctor showed me on a tv screen what she was looking at in my ear and then did tests with my balance and walking and laying down with two people holding on to me at all times.  Everything was fine.  No disease or brain problems. 

She asked if I wanted the little bit of wax cleaned and I said OK.  Wheeee was that uncomfortable.  No sharp pain but like someone rummaging around your ear with a semi sharp instrument.  Dug my fingers into my palm so as not to move or yell.  Is that normal?  No blood and she didn't puncture my eardrum but did not feel good.  Was she just rough or does everyone feel like that and I'm oversensitive. 

longstanding wax gets very firmly stuck to the inside of ear and without pre-softening pulling it out with instruments can be very nasty..

Mayo Clinic info.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/home-remedies-cleaning-out-the-earwax/

Never attempt to dig out excessive or hardened earwax with available items, such as a paper clip, a cotton swab or a hairpin.  

If earwax blockage becomes a problem, you or your doctor can take simple steps to remove the wax safely.

Lifestyle and home remedies

If your eardrum doesn't contain a tube or have a hole in it, these self-care measures may help you remove excess earwax that's blocking your ear canal:

• Soften the wax. Use an eyedropper to apply a few drops of baby oil, mineral oil, glycerin or hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal.
  • Use warm water. After a day or two, when the wax is softened, use a rubber-bulb syringe to gently squirt warm water into your ear canal. Tilt your head and pull your outer ear up and back to straighten your ear canal. When finished irrigating, tip your head to the side to let the water drain out.
  • Dry your ear canal. When finished, gently dry your outer ear with a towel or hand-held dryer.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:03 AM, lopburi3 said:

Mine are chihuahua but about 6kg so too large for lap dog so a long way down.  Have several wood long handle shoe horns like below which agree are very useful - even without the dizzy issue.

Image result for wood shoe horn

How do you get that into your middle ear canal please?

the barbers in the little town in VN where I was living included a thorough ear cleaning as part of the service...after I had my military brush cut (they only knew how to cut hair one way) I declined as the arrangement didn't appear to be very hygienic...

but they were very nice folks...right by the market and nothing was very clean around there by western standards...you could also have a bothersome tooth pulled if ye waited fer a bit...I went to the dentist in Hanoi before I traveled out...

at the local pharmacy 'hi there, I'm looking for some diabetes medication...' 'nah, we ain't got none but we got some bandaids and aspirin that you can use...' they were very well intentioned...

and in the misty astounding natural beauty of the north central coast Death hovered gracelessly for the unprepared...tutsi is with his son Louie who asked 'dad, whats that crater fulla water over there?' 'looks like a bomb crater as the americans bombed this place to shit during the war, just a buncha farmers in cone hats and flip flops with oxcarts...the famous Ho Chi Minh Trail is just over that ridge over there...looks like some dipshit bomber pilot fell asleep at the wheel and missed his target...' and then he looked at me silently as similar insanity would never be on his plate...

Archived