BANGKOK 18 February 2019 13:14
marcusarelus

Ear exam and cleaning discomfort

Mine are chihuahua but about 6kg so too large for lap dog so a long way down.  Have several wood long handle shoe horns like below which agree are very useful - even without the dizzy issue.

Image result for wood shoe horn

On 1/14/2019 at 2:46 PM, marcusarelus said:

I went to check out some dizziness.  The doctor showed me on a tv screen what she was looking at in my ear and then did tests with my balance and walking and laying down with two people holding on to me at all times.  Everything was fine.  No disease or brain problems. 

She asked if I wanted the little bit of wax cleaned and I said OK.  Wheeee was that uncomfortable.  No sharp pain but like someone rummaging around your ear with a semi sharp instrument.  Dug my fingers into my palm so as not to move or yell.  Is that normal?  No blood and she didn't puncture my eardrum but did not feel good.  Was she just rough or does everyone feel like that and I'm oversensitive. 

longstanding wax gets very firmly stuck to the inside of ear and without pre-softening pulling it out with instruments can be very nasty..

Mayo Clinic info.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/home-remedies-cleaning-out-the-earwax/

Never attempt to dig out excessive or hardened earwax with available items, such as a paper clip, a cotton swab or a hairpin.  

If earwax blockage becomes a problem, you or your doctor can take simple steps to remove the wax safely.

Lifestyle and home remedies

If your eardrum doesn't contain a tube or have a hole in it, these self-care measures may help you remove excess earwax that's blocking your ear canal:

• Soften the wax. Use an eyedropper to apply a few drops of baby oil, mineral oil, glycerin or hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal.
  • Use warm water. After a day or two, when the wax is softened, use a rubber-bulb syringe to gently squirt warm water into your ear canal. Tilt your head and pull your outer ear up and back to straighten your ear canal. When finished irrigating, tip your head to the side to let the water drain out.
  • Dry your ear canal. When finished, gently dry your outer ear with a towel or hand-held dryer.
  • Like 1

Ear wax is supposed to be removed by syringing with oil or warm water. The use of instruments has a high risk factor.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:03 AM, lopburi3 said:

Mine are chihuahua but about 6kg so too large for lap dog so a long way down.  Have several wood long handle shoe horns like below which agree are very useful - even without the dizzy issue.

Image result for wood shoe horn

How do you get that into your middle ear canal please?

• Haha 1

It was in reply to post 15 about dizzy bending down to put shoes on.  

the barbers in the little town in VN where I was living included a thorough ear cleaning as part of the service...after I had my military brush cut (they only knew how to cut hair one way) I declined as the arrangement didn't appear to be very hygienic...

but they were very nice folks...right by the market and nothing was very clean around there by western standards...you could also have a bothersome tooth pulled if ye waited fer a bit...I went to the dentist in Hanoi before I traveled out...

at the local pharmacy 'hi there, I'm looking for some diabetes medication...' 'nah, we ain't got none but we got some bandaids and aspirin that you can use...' they were very well intentioned...

and in the misty astounding natural beauty of the north central coast Death hovered gracelessly for the unprepared...tutsi is with his son Louie who asked 'dad, whats that crater fulla water over there?' 'looks like a bomb crater as the americans bombed this place to shit during the war, just a buncha farmers in cone hats and flip flops with oxcarts...the famous Ho Chi Minh Trail is just over that ridge over there...looks like some dipshit bomber pilot fell asleep at the wheel and missed his target...' and then he looked at me silently as similar insanity would never be on his plate...

Edited by tutsiwarrior