Heartburn from thai bottled water

gppower

I have tried a few thai bottled water and all of them give me heartburn.
Back home I do not suffer of any excessive gastric acidity nor reflux (if I do not go to bed straight after a meal).
The worse water is probably the one served at Foodland. They pour it from a jug but I know it comes from a big bottle, can't remember the brand. Just a sip of that and my stomach goes on fire.

Have you had the same experience and have you got a brand to recommend?
Can this be caused by chemicals dissolved in the water to sterilise it?

I am safe with Evian, but being imported it is very expensive.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can pick up the taste of impurities and process chemistry in many of the local bottled water brands.  One of the best I've found, for a decently "polished" bottled water is "H2O" brand (clear bottle, blue writing/graphics).

4 hours ago, bubblehead said:

Aura allegedly has the best crystals.

I watched a very interesting documentary on water a while ago.

Quite amazing. I don't remember the name of it but I am sure it is out there somewhere, google it.

One of many.

If the bottled water over here is anything like most of the bottled water "back home" (i.e. Canada) then it is literally just tap water in a fancy package.

However, I doubt that bottled water would give anyone heartburn. The food would be the more likely source.

It was proven (years ago) that some famous brands of bottled water (like Dasani) was literally the exact same water as came out of taps of every house in the area where the bottled water was being produced.
"In 2001, a WWF study, "Bottled water: understanding a social phenomenon", warned that in many countries, bottled water may be no safer or healthier than tap water and it sold for up to 1,000 times the price. It said the booming market would put severe pressure on recycling plastics and could lead to landfill sites drowning in mountains of plastic bottles. Also, the study discovered that the production of bottled water uses more water than the consumer actually buys in the bottle itself."

"
A study of drinking water in Cincinnati, Ohio, discovered that bacterial counts in bottled water were often higher than those in tap water and fluoride concentration was inconsistent."

We set up a bottling plant in Afghanistan as the only other option was to fly in water from Dubai (or Pakistan which wasn't really an option). The water we used was from our own wells and was filtered before getting to the bottling plant where it was filtered again. Technically, our water was cleaner and safer than what was sold on the shelves of stores "back home".

However, even with all that, there was still the issue of the bottles themselves. We had to have strict stock rotation procedures and even had to build covered storage areas to keep the bottles out of the sun as they would start to develop a "taste" after just a couple weeks of exposure.

Now imagine the same thing, in a country were the standards may not be as high, nor as strictly enforced. 

I've had severe heartburn for years (long before I started living in Thailand). I finally went to a doctor (in Thailand) back in 2010 who scoped my stomach and found an ulcer. I was also prescribed medication for acid reflux. Been taking that stuff for over 8 years now and no problem, even when eating extra spicy Thai food.

Last year I'd drink 4-5 liters of water a day in the mistaken belief that I'd be dehydrated if I didn't. This year I've cut down to 1, 1 1/2 liters a day and have had no problems,

No affect on the acid reflux either. If I stop the medication (rather - if I forget to take it one day) the heartburn comes back regardless of how much water I drink (or don't drink).

9 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Try Mont Fleur. I find it to be low acidic like Evian.

My wife likes that also. The essential difference,as I understand is t that ,like Aura and Minere ,are mineral waters rather than the (cheaper) reverse osmosis waters. She found she was getting cramp from the cheaper waters because of the lack of minerals so the natural mineral waters solved that. Heartburn though seems a harder to explain phenomenon.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

If the bottled water over here is anything like most of the bottled water "back home" (i.e. Canada) then it is literally just tap water in a fancy package.

However, I doubt that bottled water would give anyone heartburn. The food would be the more likely source.

It was proven (years ago) that some famous brands of bottled water (like Dasani) was literally the exact same water as came out of taps of every house in the area where the bottled water was being produced.
"In 2001, a WWF study, "Bottled water: understanding a social phenomenon", warned that in many countries, bottled water may be no safer or healthier than tap water and it sold for up to 1,000 times the price. It said the booming market would put severe pressure on recycling plastics and could lead to landfill sites drowning in mountains of plastic bottles. Also, the study discovered that the production of bottled water uses more water than the consumer actually buys in the bottle itself."

"
A study of drinking water in Cincinnati, Ohio, discovered that bacterial counts in bottled water were often higher than those in tap water and fluoride concentration was inconsistent."

We set up a bottling plant in Afghanistan as the only other option was to fly in water from Dubai (or Pakistan which wasn't really an option). The water we used was from our own wells and was filtered before getting to the bottling plant where it was filtered again. Technically, our water was cleaner and safer than what was sold on the shelves of stores "back home".

However, even with all that, there was still the issue of the bottles themselves. We had to have strict stock rotation procedures and even had to build covered storage areas to keep the bottles out of the sun as they would start to develop a "taste" after just a couple weeks of exposure.

Now imagine the same thing, in a country were the standards may not be as high, nor as strictly enforced. 

I've had severe heartburn for years (long before I started living in Thailand). I finally went to a doctor (in Thailand) back in 2010 who scoped my stomach and found an ulcer. I was also prescribed medication for acid reflux. Been taking that stuff for over 8 years now and no problem, even when eating extra spicy Thai food.

Last year I'd drink 4-5 liters of water a day in the mistaken belief that I'd be dehydrated if I didn't. This year I've cut down to 1, 1 1/2 liters a day and have had no problems,

No affect on the acid reflux either. If I stop the medication (rather - if I forget to take it one day) the heartburn comes back regardless of how much water I drink (or don't drink).

Ummm no. Most of the bottled water in Canada is not tap water. It's safe to say that 50% is natural water bottled at the source and the source is mostly in Canada as it is, of course, rich with water. If you buy water from Pepsi or Coca Cola that will be tap water gone through reverse osmosis. 

And yes, water can give you reflux. There are many different reflux issues and sometimes reflux meds and PPI's don't help.  I thought was the only one who had constant GERD problems until I joined a Facebook group. Two members from here were messaging me with the same symptoms.

BTW, taking (what I assume is a PPI) for acid reflux for 8 years may soon give you more problems than the reflux itself. It is one of the most prescribed and dangerous meds on the planet. If taking meds is actually stopping your reflux you should be able to control it with a diet change. Eating spicy food is just insanity if you have this condition, even if you do it once a month.

29 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

My wife likes that also. The essential difference,as I understand is t that ,like Aura and Minere ,are mineral waters rather than the (cheaper) reverse osmosis waters. She found she was getting cramp from the cheaper waters because of the lack of minerals so the natural mineral waters solved that. Heartburn though seems a harder to explain phenomenon.

I understand that Mont Fleur is the only true natural water of the 3. Minere and Aura is tap water with minerals added.

30 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I understand that Mont Fleur is the only true natural water of the 3. Minere and Aura is tap water with minerals added.

Then that would be serious misrepresentation from how they market them...but TIT ! She certainly prefers Mont flour and I recently stocked up when they had 2 extra free bottles in the 6 pack.

Buy water from one of the roadside RO machines. Take it home and boil it. If drinking that is still giving you problems, it's time to seek medical advice.

Buying bottled water is for people with more money than sense.

Possibly you are getting hotter here in Thailand, sweating more, and then you get some water and throw it down your throat?

Far better to take small amounts at a time, also gulping down water might cause acid reflux issues?

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I have always drunk Minere and just love the taste, for whatever reason to my palate, it always tastes so pure. I was about to recommend it to the OP and was quite dismayed to see a slur bringing down all my previous beliefs in flames . Would you have any concrete evidence for your understanding that will truly bury my allegience to Minere. Appreciated.....

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

What is everyone's opinion of brushing teeth with tap water?

The tap water in Thailand is not as bad as you might think.  They did some tests in Bangkok some years ago and concluded it was safe to drink, even if it's not "clean".

I drank one glass by mistake and lived to tell the tale.  

7 minutes ago, balo said:

The tap water in Thailand is not as bad as you might think.  They did some tests in Bangkok some years ago and concluded it was safe to drink, even if it's not "clean".

Not quite.  Safe to drink when it leaves the production plant.  However, not necessarily safe to drink when it comes out of your tap because of pipe leaks along the way allowing bacteria to enter.  And the state of water infrastructure in Bangkok is parlous.  Quite possibly worse in other provinces.

Fiji or Volvic Water from Tesco or Tops (delivery also). Nothing compares to these as both have high Silica content. Fiji much much higher. 

What is silica and what is its role in your body?

Silica is a relatively unknown mineral which is absolutely astounding bearing in mind what it does for the body, which is nothing short of miraculous. Also known as Silicon, it is a combination of silicon and oxygen, the two most abundant elements on our planet. It is within the grass that herbivores eat whilst meat eating animals have much less of it within their bodies. Silica is found in many vegetables including leafy greens and onions as well as whole grains.

Silica is absolutely essential to bone growth and for the development of the body. When you are young, your body has abundant levels of silica which is why children normally have beautiful silky hair, soft skin and perfect nails. We are born with large amounts of silica and low amounts of calcium and as we age, we lose silica and our bodies deposit calcium in our glands which leads to what is termed “calcification” of our tissues and the eventual loss of gland functions. Calcium requires vitamin D3 for its absorption but it also requires silica for the utilisation of calcium into building strong bones and teeth. A calcium deficiency is invariably associated with a deficiency in silica. Several studies have indicated that people with broken bones heal a lot quicker when silica levels are high irrespective of their calcium levels in the bloodstream. In fact, without silica your body could break apart!

Silica also promotes proper mineral balance between calcium and magnesium within the body. This mineral balance in turn helps with hormonal balance. This hormonal balance in turn is important because it is precisely hormonal imbalances that lead to osteoporosis. By achieving hormonal balance and its ability to enhance bone mineralisation, silica is invaluable in the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis and ideally every good calcium supplement should have some silica within the formulation.

Silica energises the immune system and it is thought that its action on alkalising the body may have a lot to do with this property. The alkalising property of silica is important because an acidic environment within the body, often as a result of poor dietary choices, results usually in a compromised immune system and illnesses. Silica is also required for the manufacture of antibodies and antigens both of which are essential components of a healthy immune system. Consuming this mineral along with healthy dietary choices and an exercise plan will help to restore healthy pH levels within the body.

Silica is used by every single cell and every internal gland within our bodies. Silica has an impact on strengthening the cardiovascular system as well as the central nervous system which relies of calcium and magnesium for the optimal transmission of nerve impulses.

Silica also may be of value in the elderly for offering protection against Alzheimer’s since it counteracts aluminium’s effects on the body by aiding its removal.

10 minutes ago, bofhman said:

Silica also may be of value in the elderly for offering protection against Alzheimer’s since it counteracts aluminium’s effects on the body by aiding its removal.

Aluminium does not cause Alzheimer's. That particular myth came into being when an aluminium microtome was used to prepare brain schists for chemical analysis. Cross-contamination of the sample.

Modern theory is the plaques which are present in the brains of all Alzheimer's victims are caused by a series of micro-strokes.

48 minutes ago, bofhman said:

What is silica and what is its role in your body?

Whole load of codswallop lifted verbatim from a website promoting quack treatments.  Written not by an expert in the field, but by a man who worked (or works) behind the counter of a chemist shop.

Aluminium does not cause Alzheimer's. That particular myth came into being when an aluminium microtome was used to prepare brain schists for chemical analysis. Cross-contamination of the sample.
Modern theory is the plaques which are present in the brains of all Alzheimer's victims are caused by a series of micro-strokes.
Interesting point of view.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

15 hours ago, gppower said:

Have you had the same experience and have you got a brand to recommend?

from what i have read water that is too acidic is not good for one. So i got some litmus paper and tested some water from 7-11.

Minere and Nestle have the highest ph of the ones available from 7-11. generally i only drink these. but i have never got heartburn from anything other than beer !!

The tap water where i lived in Phrakhanong, Bangkok was OK to drink, in my opinion, as long as one can smell the chlorine.

from what i have read water that is too acidic is not good for one. So i got some litmus paper and tested some water from 7-11.

Minere and Nestle have the highest ph of the ones available from 7-11. generally i only drink these. but i have never got heartburn from anything other than beer !!

The tap water where i lived in Phrakhanong, Bangkok was OK to drink, in my opinion, as long as one can smell the chlorine.
That's what I understand to be the case too. Alkaline water is always best.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived