Heartburn from thai bottled water

gppower

there are not that many brands around that profess, and actually are more towards Alkaline...  

we settled upon Avian whilst doing Europe, for that reason

still... be careful that one does not 'overdo' the amount of alkanity absorbed!

... think about what happens if you take too much Eno for example!

- where,apart from the after effects dropped (splooshed) into the toilet bowl, but the possibility to take big doses of Probiotics to get things back to normal... 

There is also the train of thinking; where having excessive Alkalinity has a direct efect upon the stomach's sphincer! 

heartburn comes from acid making it's way up thru the sphincer

A sphincer relaxes 'more' when the acidity of a stomach lowers (relatively)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

I can pick up the taste of impurities and process chemistry in many of the local bottled water brands.  One of the best I've found, for a decently "polished" bottled water is "H2O" brand (clear bottle, blue writing/graphics).

Water polishing: The term water polishing can refer to any process that removes small (usually microscopic) particulate material, or removes very low concentrations of dissolved material from water.

You can Google to find pH test results for many brands of water. Neutral pH is 7.0.

Results vary but Nestle Pure Life is usually around 7.0, Evian around 7.2

If you have kidney problems and need to drink a lot of water, the pH level of the water you drink is worth looking in to.

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

What is everyone's opinion of brushing teeth with tap water?

no one can answer that question for you. my water in Hua Hin is filthy. No way I would drink it or use it to wash dishes or wash produce.

It has the color of very diluted tea.

horrible rotten egg smell after heavy rain.

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

Perhaps you are drinking more than you would do back home (concerns about dehydration?) and this is the result:

When Just Water Causes Acid Reflux - Healing Acid Reflux

I probably drink more because of the heat. I don't force myself though. Actually, funnily enough, I sometimes hold back to avoid that annoying heartburn waiting to come across a fruit juice street vendor...

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

no one can answer that question for you. my water in Hua Hin is filthy. No way I would drink it or use it to wash dishes or wash produce.

It has the color of very diluted tea.

horrible rotten egg smell after heavy rain.

I agree, what comes out of my tap in Hua Hin is brutal and the dispensing machines on the street look to haven't been cleaned in years. I get wiffs of hydrogen sulfide occasionally also which makes sense with the gas/oil deposits in the area. Won't brush my teeth with it, that is for sure. 

4 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Possibly you are getting hotter here in Thailand, sweating more, and then you get some water and throw it down your throat?

Far better to take small amounts at a time, also gulping down water might cause acid reflux issues?

Definitely sweating more. In my case though it is not a matter of how much water I drink. As I mentioned, just one sip of the water from Foodland and my stomach is on fire....

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

from what i have read water that is too acidic is not good for one. So i got some litmus paper and tested some water from 7-11.

Minere and Nestle have the highest ph of the ones available from 7-11. generally i only drink these. but i have never got heartburn from anything other than beer !!

The tap water where i lived in Phrakhanong, Bangkok was OK to drink, in my opinion, as long as one can smell the chlorine.

In the absence of anything else, carbon dioxide in water can lower the  pH of pure water to less than 4. Beware of carbonated soft drinks. A well known brand of cola contains phosphoric acid, which gets the pH even lower.

According to nutritionists, lemon juice ( citric acid, ascorbic acid ), vinegar ( acetic acid ) and pickled vegetables such as sauerkraut and kimchi are all very good for the digestive system.  They activate gut bacteria. The stomach contains hydrochloric acid at 0.5%. That is essential to break down meat protein to amino acids. It seems a bit ridiculous for anyone to get their knickers in a twist about the pH of the water they are drinking.

5 hours ago, kkerry said:

You can Google to find pH test results for many brands of water. Neutral pH is 7.0.

Results vary but Nestle Pure Life is usually around 7.0, Evian around 7.2

If you have kidney problems and need to drink a lot of water, the pH level of the water you drink is worth looking in to.

I avoid Nestle

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Beware of carbonated soft drinks. A well known brand of cola contains phosphoric acid, which gets the pH even lower.

Most cola brands are 3.0 pH i.e. highly acidic, and the phosphorus in cola especially is something you need to be very aware of if you have kidney disease. Other soft drinks are commonly 3.5 pH.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It seems a bit ridiculous for anyone to get their knickers in a twist about the pH of the water they are drinking.

Maybe, but when the pH of bottled water ranges from the very acidic Dasani (3.0) to more alkaline waters that are 9.0 pH, it's something to be aware of. A more alkaline water can help reduce high uric acid when you drink two or more litres of water daily as recommended by many doctors.

6 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

I avoid Nestle

I drink many liters of Nestle every day, have been for about 5 years now, before that I drank Minere.

No problems with either.

These two are purified and then have minerals added back into them.

There is nothing wrong with them. If I can't get these then I go with the Singha but that's a rare day.

I will add that I've never had heartburn at all.

7 hours ago, kkerry said:

Maybe, but when the pH of bottled water ranges from the very acidic Dasani (3.0) to more alkaline waters that are 9.0 pH, it's something to be aware of. A more alkaline water can help reduce high uric acid when you drink two or more litres of water daily as recommended by many doctors.

An alkaline water would have to contain more sodium to achieve pH 9. Out of the frying pan etc.

If I take RO water from a roadside stand and boil it, there should be no salts in there and it will be pH 7, as boiling drives off any carbon dioxide. I am assuming the RO water is actually as advertised.

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

An alkaline water would have to contain more sodium to achieve pH 9. Out of the frying pan etc.

If I take RO water from a roadside stand and boil it, there should be no salts in there and it will be pH 7, as boiling drives off any carbon dioxide. I am assuming the RO water is actually as advertised.

but that would be a sodium carbonate as in for alkalising for laundry/swim pool type purposes etc

for consumption, there is Calcium BiCarb

sort of big difference! just like how for acidity; there's a huge end use difference between hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid

On 1/14/2019 at 11:16 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Try Mont Fleur. I find it to be low acidic like Evian.

I alway (mostly) buy water from Tesco (their own brand): big bottle: 10 thb. Tasts good (to me) just to drink, prepare coffee or tea. Never experienced any chemical taste or problems. I avoid at all costs all brands from "Nestle", whatsoever!!!

6 hours ago, Oxx said:

A made up statistic? This source says it's pH 6.4 and includes a photograph of the pH meter with the reading in the water.  (For comparison, vinegar is roughly pH 3.)

You can find many different results for the pH levels of bottled water. Different testing equipment, different days of the week, same brand but multiple origins, vested interests, I don't know. Not a made up statistic, well not by me anyway ????  See the links below. I agree, 3.0 sounds odd however there are multiple water test results online that do point to Dasani being more acidic than most, from 3.0 to 6.4 pH.

I only drink bottled water in Thailand because the Thais where I live don't trust the local water and I'm not out to prove them wrong. Where you can rely on the water most local authorities aim for a neutral pH so I stick to tap water unless it has a very chemical odor. Beats having to recycle loads of plastic bottles.

Dasani 6.4 pH 

Dasani 5.6 pH

Dasani 4.5 pH

Dasani 4.5 pH

Dasani 3.0 pH

7 hours ago, tifino said:

but that would be a sodium carbonate as in for alkalising for laundry/swim pool type purposes etc

for consumption, there is Calcium BiCarb

sort of big difference! just like how for acidity; there's a huge end use difference between hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid

Too much calcium is bad for the kidneys. That's why the WHO sets limits on the amount of salts in bore water for human consumption.

The difference between the two acids is the anion of one is chloride, and the other is sulphate. There is no difference between the H+ cations of one or the other, except hydrochloric acid has one, and sulphuric acid two.

1 hour ago, kkerry said:

I'll only comment on the one site.

This is clearly not produced by anyone with scientific knowledge, and I'm pretty sure the figure is just plucked from the air.

When a site claims "bottled waters that contribute to excess body acidity" one instantly knows one is dealing with a charlatan or ignoramus.  The body's pH is managed by homeostatic processes within an incredibly narrow range, 7.35-7.45.  Outside that range, and you're going to be severely unwell or dead.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/03/11/how-our-bodies-go-to-extraordinary-lengths-to-maintain-safe-ph-levels/#62cfa2d870e5

The home page of the website further proves it to be run by quacks and snakeoil salesmen.

"Detoxify" - nobody can actually say what these so-called "toxins" are.  They are not something scientifically recognised.  They're just all woo.

"Antioxidants" - the body is already packed with natural antioxidants.  Consuming food with antioxidant properties has no detectable effect on the lefts of antioxidants in the body.  It's also questionable whether oxygen and hydrogen even act as antioxidants in the body as is claimed.

"Water ionizers create high alkaline and low pH water" - utterly impossible for water to be both highly alkaline (high pH) and low pH at the same time.

Many UK residents drink water straight from the tap/faucet. What they for ph value get depends on location. I've never heard of complaints about the water for drinking.

Yes for being too hard for bathing, laundry etc. but not for drinking.

If they are lucky enough to live in Burton-on Trent they get the same water that the beer is brewed with so i see the logic of drinking Singha water.

Although one should also realize that advertising alcohol is illegal in Thailand so Singha only bottles water for one reason!

Think OPs problem is due to the food he is scoffing down before he finishes off the meal with a glass of water!

Has he considered the food 'at home' might not be so spicy as he is eating here, or he might be eating too much as he is enjoying his holiday meals? 

38 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Think OPs problem is due to the food he is scoffing down before he finishes off the meal with a glass of water!

Has he considered the food 'at home' might not be so spicy as he is eating here, or he might be eating too much as he is enjoying his holiday meals? 

LOL...I do enjoy my holiday meal, indeed.

Nevertheless, I never eat spicy food. I really can't stomach it. I have learned very fast the words "mai pet"...

Now, you might comment that I am missing out on food experience...this could be the topic of another thread....   

4 hours ago, gppower said:

LOL...I do enjoy my holiday meal, indeed.

Nevertheless, I never eat spicy food. I really can't stomach it. I have learned very fast the words "mai pet"...

Now, you might comment that I am missing out on food experience...this could be the topic of another thread....   

How much fatty food do you eat? That burdens the stomach worse than spicy food.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:30 PM, VocalNeal said:

Many UK residents drink water straight from the tap/faucet.

I can assure you there is not a single UK individual that drinks from a "faucet".  We have "spigots".

On 1/16/2019 at 3:45 AM, ukrules said:

I drink many liters of Nestle every day, have been for about 5 years now, before that I drank Minere.

No problems with either.

These two are purified and then have minerals added back into them.

There is nothing wrong with them. If I can't get these then I go with the Singha but that's a rare day.

I will add that I've never had heartburn at all.

nestle its not mineral water

minere is pure water from source, no mineral added, I wonder what make you think so wrongly ?

Archived