Koh Samui cost of living.

Hi there. I was all set for retirement in Issan but some mates say Samui is a great destination, and do like the sea/beach there. But in Issan a condo monthly could be as low as 8000 baht monthly, I can’t find anything near in Samui. Is there anywhere there maybe? I was thinking Lamai. Also like Tesco Lotus and similar dearer there than Issan? I see good hospital there  too, Bangkok Hospital, is that okay. I mean Bangkok I found a lot more pricey than say Khon Kaen in almost everything, so is Samui more Bangkok prices? Sorry if this has been asked time and again but would like thoughts please. Thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's expensive as you want it to be. You can find cheaper options in each location ... Depends on your living style really however I don't think you'll find anything below 10.000 baht / month in Samui and neither BKK.  Maybe if you are a good negotiator and pay a few years in advance , IDK.  I would run away from BKK mainly because of the pollution no matter the offer and diversity.

You will find Samui more expensive than both Bangkok and Isan. There are a number of reasons

First - it is a holiday destination. These are always more expensive than 'local' places. All down to the tourist dollar, or now, more likely to be the tourist RMB.

Second - it is an island. Transportation costs of the basics are higher. eg gasoline here is more expensive than the published maximum prices.

Still, it is a great place to live and the air is clear. There are cheaper areas on the island - the furher away from Chaweng, the cheaper. There are very few condos here and the ones that are here would be full of tourists in the high seasons. Pick a small house away from the east side of the island.

Certainly come and have a look around before making the decision.

You can get a two room bungalow for as low as 8000 baht, rare find but they exists. 

I know three bungalows for that price in Chaweng, all currently occupied. 

Met a guy the other day that just moved here from Bangkok, rents a studio for 8000 baht in central Chaweng. 

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

You can get a two room bungalow for as low as 8000 baht, rare find but they exists. 

I know three bungalows for that price in Chaweng, all currently occupied. 

Met a guy the other day that just moved here from Bangkok, rents a studio for 8000 baht in central Chaweng. 

Two room bungalow meaning bedroom and ensuite? Or bedroom, ensuite bathroom, and a kitchen / lounge area? 

In Isaan, rent can be much lower than that. 

In Ubon city, for example, you can rent a whole house for 3,000 to 5,000 baht a month. 

There are also good hospitals that will not rip you off like the hospitals from the Bangkok chain. 

If you don't mind the sea, then a city in Isaan will be much cheaper, and you will avoid the world famous criminality of Koh Samui! 

Lived in Samui for 4 years but have now moved up here for the wife. It depends on what you want, we had a great lot of mates, both local and tourists, that drank at the same aussie bar in Lamai but times have changed. Samui has many tourists, less so in the cities of Issan (not having lived there).

The beach is good between May to November depending on the winds. Once the onshore winds start the beaches on the east coast tend to be dirty except for the odd good days.

Good idea to try both for a couple of months but choose the time to go to Samui for the beach. Isaan is very hot during the best time for Samui.

I've been living at Samui for close to 14 years now, and with the invasion of chains like BigC, Tesco, Family Mart and 7-Eleven, it's mainly down to gasoline being the little more expensive daily need product because of living on an island.

You can (still) find a bungalow – bedroom, bathroom, living room, small kitchen, and a balcony/terrace – for long term rent in the area of 8,000 to 10,000 baht, sometimes even within walking distance to both beach and local shopping.

It's depending of life-style and expectations; as yes, some things might be little up-priced because of Samui being a tourist destination – could be hanging out with pals in a pub where the beers are higher priced than up Isaan – but on the other hand you also easily mingle up with others speaking another language than Thai, they might even be native speakers of your own language.

Areas away from major tourist zones – and probably forget Chaweng, if you're not into party – are slightly cheaper, than staying together with the tourists. The southern part of Samui is more rare and still a bit like "Samui once was", but also on the preferable northern coastline are areas, like for example Bang Po, where you can find a selection of affordable accommodation. Just getting on the land-side of the Ring Road, which runs around the island, makes rents lower than staying within a few hundred meters from the beach; however, there are still affordable bungalows in that area, but they are often occupied on long term agreements.

We have 4 private hospitals in Bo Phut (Chaweng), with Bangkok Samui Hospital being the most expensive; and 1 government hospital in Nathon that is fine, and both recommended and used by a number of foreigners. For a reasonable surcharge you can have private room, a so-called "VIP-room", which comes in a number of price levels from around 1,200 baht up to 3,500 baht a day; think there are 5 different choices. I've seen both 1,200 baht room, and 3,000 baht room; the first can compare to one of the cheaper private hospitals on the island, and the 3,000 baht room is new and looks quite similar in standard to the room I've seen at Bangkok Hospital.

I use to say – and so did another poster above – that one shall come for some weeks and test-live, preferably moving around and try different potential places on the island, and check the neighborhood and local price level. What I may like, you may not not; and I may have a different life-style, and thereby expenses, than you.

????

7 hours ago, Brunolem said:

...and you will avoid the world famous criminality of Koh Samui! 

Wait what? What 'world famous' criminality are you talking about? While I agree the index is up there it is not much difference versus BKK for example. And nowhere near versus the ones in countries like Brazil, South Africa , Venezuela ,etc Those are WOLD FAMOUS high criminality locations.

4 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

If you paid me rent to live in issan i would not do it. After the 100th ant bites you and after the 50th time you get asked for five baht to buy the propane they drink you will be done. 

Blimey what a drama queen

On 1/14/2019 at 3:21 PM, anon7854 said:

It's expensive as you want it to be. You can find cheaper options in each location ... Depends on your living style really however I don't think you'll find anything below 10.000 baht / month in Samui and neither BKK.  Maybe if you are a good negotiator and pay a few years in advance , IDK.  I would run away from BKK mainly because of the pollution no matter the offer and diversity.

Plenty of places in bkk for under 10k a month.  You can get rooms for as cheap as 2000-3000b a month.  Samui will more expensive than issan.  Depending where in issan it can get very boring.

12 hours ago, RickG16 said:

where is this?

It is called The Outback but is now owned by the same South Africans that have the Bondi. It used to be run by an aussie and his wife but he got the big C (ok now) so sold it.

It is located on the road that runs through Lamai and where the one way comes down from the ring road. Good spot to watch the world go by while having a beer.

Samui is one of the most expensive places in Thailand . I have lived here for 11 years and I wonder how some people I know survive and its only going up and up . If you eat in the cheapest places possible , rent very cheap room with no frills and don't want to do anything that really costs money then you might find it ok.

I have lived on Samui for 10 years plus just South of Lamai and love it.

I have traveled Thailand extensively and spent time in Isaan (my GF of 8 years is from Sakon Nakhon), but always return to Samui.

The prices are very comparable to BKK, but no smog or ridiculous traffic and nice great beaches if you know where to look.

Hospitals aplenty and very high standards (in the private ones)...Nathon Goverment hospital is basic....but better than many UK NHS hospitals I have attended and you can turn up and get seen without appointment normally in less than 2 hours.

You can easily rent a 1 bed house less than 1K from the beach for 10-12K Thb in Lamai behind the temple.

Good sized Tesco Lotus and Makro are really good value.

Great restaurants if you want to eat out and reasonably priced. Also great food markets at Lamai and Hua Thanon (Muslim Village) where the fish is always fresh, many times the crabs are still alive if you go early enough...Also cheap and very good quality home-farm fruit and veggies.

You can also get a roadside meal at the cheap end for about 60 Thb for a curry, etc.

Isaan lovely people and it is very cheap but F*** All to do and can be cold by Thai standards in winter (10 - 15C) and very hot in April May...One day it was 47C when I was there last time....Deffo no "Sea Breeze"!

Please PM if you want to know more.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

I can't speak to Issan prices/costs (simply don't know), but I find it truly incredible that people who live on Samui find it expensive.

I have a one bedroom bungalow (bed room, sitting room, dining area, kitchen, bathroom) with a gorgeous garden (that is taken care of by the owners), and included in the monthly price are all utilities (electricity, water, WiFi, cable TV), clean sheets and towels every week, shared laundry on site, and there is a part-time care-taker who tends to my cats when I am away as well as other helpful stuff, all for under 9,000 Baht a month. And, it is about 200 yards from a quiet, pristine, truly gorgeous beach.

In terms of food, there is Tesco, Big C, Makro, Tops for larger shopping trips, while smaller markets/shops (many open 24/7) for veggies, fruit, etc, everywhere, all seemingly about the same price as Bangkok. Further, as it is a tourist island, there are other, imported, things available, but as they aren't normal Thai fare, they do cost more. Restaurants; there is a HUGE selection from grossly over-priced to very reasonable, with everything in between. It really depends what you want; I happily get a meal for under a 100 Baht without thinking about it (often closer to 50-60 Baht) , but can splurge if it appeals.

Again, as it is a tourist island, there is a large selection of activities, bars, events, etc. There are people from all over the world, some residents, some who 'winter', some who visit for short times and the locals, so there are always plenty of folk around, if you want them. That said, if you are looking to get away from people, that is easily done as well.

What can I say? I love it here, obviously; I can, and often do, live like a 'Westerner' in the morning, then relax as a 'Thai' in the afternoon/evening.

2 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Samui is one of the most expensive places in Thailand . I have lived here for 11 years and I wonder how some people I know survive and its only going up and up . If you eat in the cheapest places possible , rent very cheap room with no frills and don't want to do anything that really costs money then you might find it ok.

So why do you live there?

Could have been a lot more "Flooded"had the predicted 5m Pabuk "Storm Surge" happened! ????????????.

Thankfully it missed us, but must admit I ran to 'High Ground".

I live 10metres from the beach! That would have wiped my place out!

Like most sensible people on this Forum I rent so might have lost a  few  belongings had the worst happened.

Anyway staying put and loving it.????

4 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

How about cooking your own food instead of eating out? Definitely saves a bit.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have a one bedroom bungalow (bed room, sitting room, dining area, kitchen, bathroom) with a gorgeous garden (that is taken care of by the owners), and included in the monthly price are all utilities (electricity, water, WiFi, cable TV), clean sheets and towels every week, shared laundry on site, and there is a part-time care-taker who tends to my cats when I am away as well as other helpful stuff, all for under 9,000 Baht a month. And, it is about 200 yards from a quiet, pristine, truly gorgeous beach.

Sounds almost too good to be true. With a / c? And which part of Samui if you don't mind me asking? 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

How about cooking your own food instead of eating out? Definitely saves a bit.

Cook quite a lot of the time and any time other than special occasion just eat from local sellers at the market etc that cost 50-100 bht .

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Sounds almost too good to be true. With a / c? And which part of Samui if you don't mind me asking? 

No worries, It is on the north coast/Mae Nam. And, in my eyes electricity is A/C; yes, with A/C.

i would add 3 comments.

First, my deal isn't something that a newbie is going to get on their first week on the island, but visitors can get something similar if they put in the legwork and spend a bit of time here. And if they put in the leg work, there are many similar deals available. Second, I will freely admit that my house isn't new or flashy, but it doesn't flood and is sturdy as hell. Or, in other words, it ain't too pretty, but it gets you where you need to be, every time. Finally, one of the reasons that I have a good deal is that I make the effort to get along well with my landlord and their family; too many times I see people treating their landlords as strangers and/or intruders. This is, in my view, one of the differences between 'East' and 'West'; in the 'West', when you rent a house it is yours, period. In the 'East', landlords see it more as you paying them a bit to 'live with them on their land'; if you treat them well and with respect, your costs go down quite quickly. 

Samui is quite cheap if you make the effort to learn to live as locals do and explore your options. If you live like a 'Westerner', you'll pay western prices/costs.

I don't find it particularly expensive but you can tell that you live on an island when it comes to competition in speciality shops. While you can get pretty much everything on the island there might only be on shop that sells particular food and they price it accordingly. For "hardware" this is not so much a problem with the likes of Lazada and Aliexpress bringing everything to your doorstep at the same price you pay in the rest of Thailand.

Eating out and going for a drinks varies widely between tourist areas like Chaweng/Fisherman Village etc. and the quiet parts of the island. I find it very cheap to eat in my friendly local restaurant and drink cheap beer at my local (both places are frequented by Thai and Farangs so I don't feel isolated in a Thai only place). If you prefer the lively nightlife of Chaweng you will spend considerably more for you drinks and food.

The real costly part of living in Samui is the cost of travel. Flight prices are insane compared to the rest of Thailand and the regular Taxis are a complete no go given their ridiculous approach with the sky high non-meter pricing. There is a great online Taxi service available at much better pricing but it still does not reflect the cost in the rest of Thailand. 

It is a great and relaxing place to live. Exception is over xmas and new year when the hordes of tourists cause havoc and the roads get jammed. 

13 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Like most sensible people on this Forum I rent so might have lost a  few  belongings had the worst happened.

Anyway staying put and loving it.????

Hmmm. I am glad that I am not sensible.

I bought my land over 18 years ago and built three houses. Paid 3 mil baht per rai for the land. Sold one house a few years back and covered all of my initial costs. I still have two houses and the land nearby recently sold for 30+ mil baht per rai. Rent - zero on my own house. Income from the second one.

Agree - staying put and loving it.  ????

Archived