BANGKOK 19 February 2019 10:21
darren1971

Stop tearing families apart based on earnings! Scrap minimum income requirement

5 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't understand. How can self employed income not count?

It states on the UK Gov website that self employed income is acceptable 

What counts as income

You and your partner can use:

• income from employment before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips) - you can only use your own income if you earn it in the UK
  • income you earn from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK - check your Self Assessment tax return

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income

6 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yes. As it should be as it is a perfectly acceptable way to get a mortgage.

Something dodgy in op story.

It also stated that she was working in the U.K as well and both incomes can be combined to reach that amount .

Self employed in this case refers to unincorporated proprietorships, a sole trader.

If you incorporate then you're not in this class, you're a director.

Lots of people run small business in the UK with this type of informal company.

33 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Self employed in this case refers to unincorporated proprietorships, a sole trader.

If you incorporate then you're not in this class, you're a director.

Lots of people run small business in the UK with this type of informal company.

I was a sole proprietor in Canada. It doesn't make any difference regarding financial matters.

Is it different in UK? I wouldn't think so.

He says that his plastering business makes 18 000 a year , but its not clear whether he has people working for him and thus his profit may not be higher then 18 000 ,(if he has to pay wages out)

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He says that his plastering business makes 18 000 a year , but its not clear whether he has people working for him and thus his profit may not be higher then 18 000 ,(if he has to pay wages out)

If that's the case then he is lying in his post.

No one sane calculates profits before expenses. Your tax returns are your earnings. You either pocketed 18k or you didn't.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 1

Self employed do count but you need £18,600 before tax is deducted. The self employed have all sorts of allowances that are all taken into account before your income is taxed and I would think that the guy in the story has a turnover above £18,600 but he will be able to claim for a van (100% tax deductable), fuel if he uses it for his business and many other allowances.

There has to be a threshold and I think £18,600 is probably on the low side for a couple who will need to spend £8000 plus on visa fees, travel etc etc over five years. I think it's around £2400 extra if they have a child. Really? Somebody needs to tell me if they have a baby that it costs less than £50 a week to look after.

6 minutes ago, rasg said:

Self employed do count but you need £18,600 before tax is deducted. The self employed have all sorts of allowances that are all taken into account before your income is taxed and I would think that the guy in the story has a turnover above £18,600 but he will be able to claim for a van (100% tax deductable), fuel if he uses it for his business and many other allowances.

There has to be a threshold and I think £18,600 is probably on the low side for a couple who will need to spend £8000 plus on visa fees, travel etc etc over five years. I think it's around £2400 extra if they have a child. Really? Somebody needs to tell me if they have a baby that it costs less than £50 a week to look after.

'there has to be a threshold' why?

• Like 1