Thai govt agencies ‘not taking air pollution seriously’

webfact

Well, up here in Udon we do not have too much air pollution. Sure, in the city, particularly around rush hour not so good, but get off the busier streets and not so bad. And farmers burning? Around our village very few do any more, more problems with the rubbish fires (and less of them as well). Haven't seen any real haze for a couple of years. We measure visibility in kilometres, not metres!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, webfact said:

Sukhum said the authorities were now educating the people about the harm caused by air pollution and on how to stay healthy during the smog season. 

Smog season? Smog that is preventable if the authorities elect to get off their <deleted> and tackle it doesn't have a season. 

If the government did something about the air quality that'd also mean stepping on the toes of the corporations aka their mates aka their bread and butter. Why would they do that? Better for them to let their people suffer whilst they sit in their mansions that are kitted out with Dyson air purifiers.

4 hours ago, rickudon said:

Well, up here in Udon we do not have too much air pollution. Sure, in the city, particularly around rush hour not so good, but get off the busier streets and not so bad. And farmers burning? Around our village very few do any more, more problems with the rubbish fires (and less of them as well). Haven't seen any real haze for a couple of years. We measure visibility in kilometres, not metres!

How'd you measure air quality? In the amount of asthma attacks in the village?

I did not even read the post because i just have missed the JOKE...

Burning season for months in the whole north... 

Trash fire everywhere everyday...

Start with that maybe ?...

And they love chemicals here.

Diesel same-same as everywhere in the world.

Damn i like jokes, but this one ?

Ho wait the joke must be somewhere to target smokers (more easy, smoking screen i could say - that's a good one -), when pollution is THE big world problem (and kills and make sick way way more people). Not specific to Thailand here. 

Thai govt agencies not taking anything seriously unless les  majeste, or defaming Thailand likewise I dont take Thailand seriously in anyway...................its a joke and a very bad one at that

On 1/15/2019 at 2:46 PM, simtemple said:

Forget pollution, now the Thai Government is set to expose the population to cancer causing/DNA damaging radiation in the name of profits.

That station is paid for by the Russian Government.

Just fake news.

As for 5G, 

Michael Brown
Okay; No. I'm a computer engineer and I specialize in embedded systems and wireless technology. All these claims are ill-informed so I'll lay out some facts. The 'fear' that's coming from all of this is that the frequency that 5G operates in is harmful to organic life. While, there is truth to this, the claim is wildly exaggerated. 5G operates on a higher frequency which means that it has a shorter range than our current 4G LTE infrastructure., this means we need more base stations closer to the targeted area. The fear that we will have more base stations too close to people doesn't encompass the whole situation. Currently, we have massive cell towers pumping out massive amounts of power to reach all of it's end users. With 5G, although there will be more base stations, they will be pumping out significantly less power than our current cell towers. It's not frequency that's harmful, it's the product of frequency and power. It wouldn't be much different than our current WiFi routers we all have in our homes. For perspective, the sun causes tens to hundreds (maybe even thousands) of times more radiation than mobile wireless signals. When you step outside on a sunny day, you can literally FEEL the radiation. The Sun has a proven link to skin cancer but no one seems to care because it's not human technology. The best way to avoid cancer is to avoid the Sun. There is no proven link that mobile wireless signals have caused any significant harm in humans. Dr David Carpenter claims 'There has been no safety testing of 5G', he is completely wrong. The telecommunication companies spend billions developing this kind of technology, do you really think they just say, 'oops' we forgot to test for radiation safety? This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, Gazza0308 said:

How can you take this problem serious when no other problems in the country are taken serious

And if you want to spray water to clean the air it should be done from the highest tower (s)which is the mahanakon iirc.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:17 PM, dcnx said:

Say what you will about Thailand’s development, at its core and in their hearts and minds, Thais are as third world as they come. 

With all things getting steadily worse, they are starting to be more third world than the old third world is today. Maybe Thailand should be called the fourth world. I bet they'd take that as a compliment.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:53 AM, Justgrazing said:

They are detached from reality if they think there is a quick fix to this .. It'll take years to bring it under control requiring mind boggling amounts of investment and a step change in the way of life here .. Unless of course PM has a cunning plan the pray the pollution away .. 

IMG_20190115_074700.jpg

A start could be made by forcibly taking them off the road, having engine servicing and TUNE UP done, substantially reducing those bellowing diesel fumes! No excuses!

BTW - I am not a diesel mechanic, so I may be wrong. ???? 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:22 AM, cedel said:

Hello I was in Home Pro as well as in BigC extra in Pattayaklang (Central Pattaya), but I cannot find the 3M P2. 5 N95 respirator. Where did you buy it exactly ? Only the green seal one-way valve mask is in Home Pro

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

Big C at Ratchaprasong Bangkok across from Central World in the hardware section on the second or third floor. Maybe they were out of stock or (OMG!) don't stock it at all in Pattaya. Take a picture of the image I provided and show it to the store staff.

5 hours ago, lvr181 said:

A start could be made by forcibly taking them off the road, having engine servicing and TUNE UP done, substantially reducing those bellowing diesel fumes! No excuses!

The engines on the old buses are probably too old to do anything with, but Thailand is an engine swap country, just plug in some cheapo Chinese NGV conversion. No need to worry about safety, nobody does here.

7 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Oh for sure adhering to a proper maintenance and service schedule laid out by the manufacturer would be a start .. but therein lies the rub here , they abdicate that in favour of blessings and amulets .. And if anything some of the older trucks here are just as bad if not worse than the buses ..

On 1/16/2019 at 2:00 AM, ZeVonderBearz said:

How'd you measure air quality? In the amount of asthma attacks in the village?

Laugh you might, but there is an AQI monitor in Udon, and i monitor it every day since start of the year. Although never 'good' it is in the moderate zone most of the time and always better than Bangkok and often Eastern Thailand. I don't know anyone here with Asthma ....... maybe they are all dead already?????

Archived