60th Birthday celebration.

wamberal

I would like a bit of advice please.  My wife will turn 60 next year, I want her to have a wonderful celebration.  We live in Australia now.  She still has a fair number of former college and university friends in Thailand, plus a handful of immediate family.  BTW, I lived and worked in Thailand in the eighties, so have a fair, but limited, appreciation of the customs and traditions.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. 

60 is an important birthday being 5 times the 12-year cycle of years.  To celebrate mine  I paid for my son, wife and two grandsons  to visit us 11 years ago.  In one year's time I will be 72  ie 6 x 12 and this time my wife and daughters are going to the UK to visit them.

17 minutes ago, lungbing said:

60 is an important birthday being 5 times the 12-year cycle of years.  To celebrate mine  I paid for my son, wife and two grandsons  to visit us 11 years ago.  In one year's time I will be 72  ie 6 x 12 and this time my wife and daughters are going to the UK to visit them.

A birthday is merely 365 days from the last one. What's this 12 year cycle all about. My GF has a monthly one!

Thanks everybody, for your comments and suggestions.

I am sort of assuming that a big celebratory dinner would be a good option, somewhere in BKK.  Once upon a time I would have known where to go, now I am pretty much out of the loop.

Traditional Thai food, of course, probably near the river.  

11 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The Chinese zodiac has a 12 year cycle:

Image result for chinese new year cycle

Which is also followed in Thailand:

Image result for chinese new year cycle thailand

Just silly ancient superstition in my opinion. I was born 2 months premature so should have been a Pisces in 1948, but I am a Capricorn in 1947. I blame me Mum !

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Just silly ancient superstition in my opinion. I was born 2 months premature so should have been a Pisces in 1948, but I am a Capricorn in 1947. I blame me Mum !

You're a pig, so what? Could be worse, you could have been a rat.

7 hours ago, wamberal said:

Thanks everybody, for your comments and suggestions.

I am sort of assuming that a big celebratory dinner would be a good option, somewhere in BKK.  Once upon a time I would have known where to go, now I am pretty much out of the loop.

Traditional Thai food, of course, probably near the river.  

Unless there's an unwieldy number of guests, this sounds like a great idea. There's plenty places with views of the river as well as dinner cruises. There are also popular places with views of the Bangkok skyline.

http://www.bangkok.com/top10/top10-restaurants-riverside.htm

https://www.10best.com/destinations/thailand/bangkok/restaurants/waterfront-dining/

The toughest bit will be the logistics of herding them all to either venue.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, it's all a load of rot.  The Dr/midwife at your birth had a greater gravitational pull on you than any of the constellations.  But then, I'm pretty sceptical about most things, just like all Taurus's are.

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unless there's an unwieldy number of guests, this sounds like a great idea. There's plenty places with views of the river as well as dinner cruises. There are also popular places with views of the Bangkok skyline.

http://www.bangkok.com/top10/top10-restaurants-riverside.htm

https://www.10best.com/destinations/thailand/bangkok/restaurants/waterfront-dining/

The toughest bit will be the logistics of herding them all to either venue.

Thanks for that.  

Archived