Sorcery and black magic are alive and well in Cambodia, and they’re worth killing over

geovalin

Outbreaks of disease, unsolved deaths or bad luck are often blamed by villagers on witchcraft, and sometimes there are violent consequences

Phnom Penh seems to have all the trappings of a modern cosmopolitan city: towering skyscrapers, world-class restaurants and painfully air-conditioned shopping malls. But venture a few hours outside the capital and things become different very quickly.

There is, particularly in rural provinces, a pervasive belief in the supernatural in Cambodia. Near the end of November, a couple was attacked in Pursat Province – about 200km northwest of Phnom Penh – by a small mob accusing them of killing someone’s daughter with sorcery. The accused husband, 83, was beaten to death while his wife, 72, was shot in the leg with a home-made rifle.

read more https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/2181970/sorcery-and-black-magic-are-alive-and-well-cambodia-and

32 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

"towering skyscrapers, world-class restaurants" 

Has the writer of this piece even been to Phnom Penh?

It's a filthy, third-world dump with some of the worst food I've ever encountered.

I guess You probably haven't been there recently either. Third world dump? It's a city with the most number of new Lexus LX570s and Range rovers I have seen. 

15 hours ago, lks7689 said:

I guess You probably haven't been there recently either. Third world dump? It's a city with the most number of new Lexus LX570s and Range rovers I have seen. 

I was there last month and lived there for six years until last year. Yes, there are rich, corrupt Cambodians driving around in very expensive cars - whilst children beg on the filthy streets. It looks more like parts of Africa than Thailand or Vietnam.

Archived