U.S. government shutdown drags into fourth week amid stalemate

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I'm not sure if the ATCs want to mention the word "strike," in light of what happened in the Reagan years....

[Reagan fires 11,000 striking air traffic controllers Aug. 5, 1981]

https://www.politico.com/story/2008/08/reagan-fires-11-000-striking-air-traffic-controllers-aug-5-1981-012292

Perhaps they can all call in sick.

That is such a great move. I love it. 

2 hours ago, Srinivas said:

If bulk of SES were Obama hires  as of Dec. 2016 when article was written,

then they would still be Obama hires a month later on inauguration day of Jan.20 2017.

like I said slow down.

I'll try for one last time. You used the present tense. "Maybe entire depts is the plan, especially SES of which the   2/3 are Obama hires".  You didn't write "2/3 were Obama hires as of Jan 20, 2017." This won't be the first time you denied what was was written in plain English.  

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I'll try for one last time. You used the present tense. "Maybe entire depts is the plan, especially SES of which the   2/3 are Obama hires".  You didn't write "2/3 were Obama hires as of Jan 20, 2017." This won't be the first time you denied what was was written in plain English.  

and you presented some unrelated  2007_2008 numbers.???? nice try 

Just now, Srinivas said:

and you presented some unrelated  2007_2008 numbers.???? nice try 

Not unrelated. The point was to show that there is a lot of turnover in the SES since by the conclusion of Obama's term that 65 percent under Bush who hadn't been in the department for a presidential turnover became 70 percent under Obama. As the article pointed out there's always lots of churn. So it's unlikely that there is anything currently like 70 percent of appointments made by Obama as you claimed. In other words, the reference was entirely pertinent.

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Not unrelated. The point was to show that there is a lot of turnover in the SES since by the conclusion of Obama's term that 65 percent under Bush who hadn't been in the department for a presidential turnover became 70 percent under Obama. As the article pointed out there's always lots of churn. So it's unlikely that there is anything currently like 70 percent of appointments made by Obama as you claimed. In other words, the reference was entirely pertinent.

Its not pertinent, as my comment was about removing SES from past admin via RIF procedures after a fulough past 30 days. 

Thats the main point. 

You tried to deviate from that and make noise about some exact number just to attack. which I understand you cannot help yourself.

slow down dude and you'll improve reading comprehension????

8 hours ago, wayned said:

Guarantee that if all TSA and ATC went on strike and refused to work the shutdown would be over in a very short time!

The Al-quaeda that were responsible for 9-11 did not get into the USA because airports had private security instead of a government run TSA.  Those terrorists should have been stopped by Immigration (now part of Homeland Security).  TSA can be replaced by private security like almost every other country has and the USA had before 9-11.  Dogs can detect bombs, metal detectors can detect knives.  

5 hours ago, Kelsall said:

ATC tried that back in Reagan's day.  You may recall what happened.

That was over a pay increase demand, not over not being paid at all, but it would be interesting.  A far as the TSA, they are in a different boat, low paid, average pay under 30k/year, non college educated people that just can't make it without there checks.

6 hours ago, Skallywag said:

The Al-quaeda that were responsible for 9-11 did not get into the USA because airports had private security instead of a government run TSA.  Those terrorists should have been stopped by Immigration (now part of Homeland Security).  TSA can be replaced by private security like almost every other country has and the USA had before 9-11.  Dogs can detect bombs, metal detectors can detect knives.  

So simple eh?!

21 hours ago, wayned said:

No, he wouldn't, but if he tried I think that the GOP would finally grow some gonads and put a stop to this!

Just think about what would happen if he did, all US airports would remain closed because there was no security and no air traffic controllers.  Not exactly people that you can find to replace them at the local homeless shelter especially since you don't intend to pay them.  I'm surprised someone hasn't thought about this solution yet!  Talk about digging a hole and pulling the dirt in after you jumped in!

He is not in a hole over this he could quickly get the mililitary involved for security and even air traffic control. The military are one of the best equipped and trained in the world, and he has the powers to do just that.

Additionally, to your what appears disparaging comment about homeless people. I am sure many homeless have skills that are not utilised to their lack of a permanent home, and I would not try to insult them with such comments as many will undoubtably come from either the military as VETS or will have professional qualifications. Homelessness does not incur stupidity just that something has gone wrong with their lives they could not rectify easily.

11 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Quiet simple to replace them, the military can step in straight away ( National Emergency Trump has the power) and most but not all TSA employees are non college semi skilled employees. 

Most immigration checks are by computer or beforehand using intelligence in any case very little is picked up by most TSA employees. In fact people make mistakes.

Within a few years more technology will have made many of these functions redundant in any case.

Archived