US English teacher faces rape charge, meets Big Joke who says he'll be prosecuted then thrown out of Thailand

webfact

59 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

BJ is a politician (aspiring) and is just following the path of populists around the world (Trump, Farage, Le Pen, Putin, Bolsanaro etc etc). No doubt many of posters on TV who indulge in a bit of Thai bashing against BJ's policies are more than happy to support a populist at home. The only difference is that in Thailand these posters are on the receiving end of a populist policy. 

To my mind BJ is actively enforcing the law. If you have a problem with the law then leave or do something to change it. 

Apportioning guilt to a person prior to trial is endemic. Just take a look at your daily news from home. 

To suggest that he is an idiot just because he does not speak English is facile

BJ is paid to be a policeman, not a judge. Defending him in the terms you use, would suggest an authoritarian, though I know you won't be one of those.

Your post got pretty silly when you said 'If you have a problem with the law then leave or do something to change it' which shows a detachment from reality which ought to worry you but which probably doesn't.

You could have found stronger arguments, the 'like it or leave' argument started off weakly and quickly became farcical. Thais would probably appreciate it but intelligent people can't quite get their heads around the silliness of it all. Or so I have found.

'Apportioning guilt to a person prior to trial is endemic'

Not in any civilised country it isn't.

'To suggest that he is an idiot just because he does not speak English is facile'

He's not an idiot because he can't speak English friend, unintelligent maybe, culture-bound and propagandised certainly. What makes him an idiot is what he does, not what languages he can or cannot speak.

Bit of a swiss cheese ;post really, niot much of any substance or usefulness in it.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, balo said:

Do you think all the details always are revealed to the media ?

I know people are skeptical to RTP in many cases, because of corruption, but Big Joke has not been doing a lot of mistakes since he took over. 

This was a rape of a student in the school, it would not go silent, parents and other teachers would know.  

Just to clarify that there was no mention of a school in this case. The man may well be a private tutor though no information was provided either way.

Rooster

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

If and i say if the man is guilty he needs jailed for a long time.

Yet once again the Big joke is opening his mouth before any proper investigation, court case to prove his guilt.

Personally i find it difficult to believe a man who has lived here so long, has family here, would suddenly turn into a rapist.

He could be a rapist for the whole 20 years.

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He could be a rapist for the whole 20 years.

I did not say he wasnt a rapist, i said Big joke was opening his mouth before a proper investigation, or court case to prove the matter 1 way or the other.

Again Big joke is just jumping in to get media coverage, this is a matter for the police, not immigration.

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I did not say he wasnt a rapist, i said Big joke was opening his mouth before a proper investigation, or court case to prove the matter 1 way or the other.

Again Big joke is just jumping in to get media coverage, this is a matter for the police, not immigration.

Immigration is a part of the Royal Thai Police

37 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Just to clarify that there was no mention of a school in this case. The man may well be a private tutor

Yes from the article

"The suspect denied raping a child who was his student." 

So he could be a private teacher. 

To me this sounds like the bugle call being sounded to start going after foreigners teaching in Thailand. Immigration policy have created a two edged system that has resulted in schools here employing under qualified teachers for 20 years since few with proper degrees and experience would consider working for the crap salaries being offered and under conditions of continuous doubt in terms of visa and work permit status. This was supposed to be sorted under Taksin who declared a minimum wage for foreign workers, by which of course was meant Farang workers not Asian, to be eligible to gain visa and work permit. But of course the culture of greed that rules all institutions in the country could not let that happen so now there are more teachers than ever in my experience working illegally with tourist visa's. And of course its the poor and middle class who suffer, while the rich take the pay offs and send their kids to private schools. 

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Wow. If a cop did this in  a country subject to the rule of law, the charges would be vacated due to the perversion of justice. So much for the concept of a fair trial.

Contempt of court. But to adhere to contempt of court principals you must have fair rules for all. This means of course that contempt of court does not apply in Thailand, especially as the courts (like the media) are so pliable.

4 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Indeed. If he's guilty then put him in prison and throw him out when his prison time is done, but Mr Haircut's job is to put him through the courts, not declare his guilt or innocence,

"...but Mr Haircut's job is to put him through the courts, not declare his guilt or innocence".

No one has done that.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

If and i say if the man is guilty he needs jailed for a long time.

Yet once again the Big joke is opening his mouth before any proper investigation, court case to prove his guilt.

Personally i find it difficult to believe a man who has lived here so long, has family here, would suddenly turn into a rapist.

Perhaps he hasn't "suddenly" turned into a rapist?

"Yet once again the Big joke is opening his mouth before any proper investigation".

No assertion re his guilt has been made, if it has please quote it!

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Love to see you justify that!  Where exactly was that "declaration" made and by whom?

In the article headline:

US English teacher faces rape charge, meets Big Joke who says he'll be prosecuted then thrown out of Thailand

You'll note the absence of 'if guilty, he will...' it just says he'll be prosecuted and thrown out of Thailand. Big Joke would be fired for that in any civilised country, and good riddance.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In a video posted to Facebook Lt Gen Surachate said that there are many good English teachers and religious teachers but that some bad ones slip through the net. 

That Lt Joke lets slip a comment suggesting he conflates religious teachers with English teachers does not convince me that Lt Joke is in the mind at all to be fair or clear headed about this. Why mention religious teachers? What does that have to do with this situation? I would guess that because he is of Pakistani origin, Joke then "thinks" that therefor the guy should be religious, ie Muslim and therefor supposed to uphold religion. Kind of a nasty very questionable thing to say to make this already quite nasty case even nastier. He really does seem to be afflicted with quite a bad case of animosity and prejudice against foreigners and his conflation only incites even more outrage before the case has even gone to court. Yet another drop in the bucket towards diminishing respect for Thailand in the minds of many living in the rest of the world.

8 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

That Lt Joke lets slip a comment suggesting he conflates religious teachers with English teachers does not convince me that Lt Joke is in the mind at all to be fair or clear headed about this. Why mention religious teachers? What does that have to do with this situation? I would guess that because he is of Pakistani origin, Joke then "thinks" that therefor the guy should be religious, ie Muslim and therefor supposed to uphold religion. Kind of a nasty very questionable thing to say to make this already quite nasty case even nastier. He really does seem to be afflicted with quite a bad case of animosity and prejudice against foreigners and his conflation only incites even more outrage before the case has even gone to court. Yet another drop in the bucket towards diminishing respect for Thailand in the minds of many living in the rest of the world.

I don't interpret what he said in that way. I interpret if to mean that his mind is (like so many Thai minds), like a bowl of spaghetti. He just can't think in a straight line.

As Napoleon is reputed to have said 'Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity'.

Mr Haircut is a clown, the only thing he's missing is the clown shoes and the big red nose....

3 hours ago, pagan1 said:

To my mind BJ is actively enforcing the law. If you have a problem with the law then leave or do something to change it. 

He's in charge of the Immigration police...

He's not in charge of criminal rape investigations... He's not a prosecutor. He's not a judge.

His only role here OUGHT to be to take any appropriate action against someone who's not legally here, or, against someone who's been convicted of a serious crime and lost the right to stay here...

Everything else is just grandstanding and overstepping his proper role.

BTW, closer to home, has he seen that criminal charges have been filed against his own Immigration officer who supposedly confessed to facilitating fake visas for a bunch of African lately?  The Africans got arrested, but the unnamed Immigration officer was only said to be under investigation, even after supposedly confessing... Maybe not enough time to take care of those minor kinds of matter....

IF, and I repeat IF, this guy is guilty, then he deserves prison and whatever else follows... Though BJ appeared to go a bit too far in basically pronouncing the guy guilty before even court charges have been filed or a trial held. He obviously missed the police academy course on presumption of innocence.

However, can't help feeling like there's a HUGE double standard going on here in the way this American guy is being treated... considering how many Thai teacher student rape cases have been alleged and then quietly seem to disappear or get shuffled about with the teacher just transferred to some different school and/or the family paid off to make it go away...

If we're going to treat teacher student sexual assaults seriously, as society should, then it ought to be equal treatment for all accused, Thai or farang, and all should have their fair day in court...  And not just be disappeared to another school where the person, assuming they're guilty, can then proceed to prey on other students.

It is generally accepted that those sexually attracted to children can be be found in jobs where they work with children. BJ may give the impression that any or most foreigners teaching English to Thai children is a pedophile and this us worrisome, to say the least. Without a proper justice system being allowed to run a true course, you can end up with vigilantes and lynch mobs meting out "justice".

Archived