Oztaffy

Have you tried Jucing to loose weight

31 minutes ago, Oztaffy said:
  •  
  • cooked
  • Advanced Members
  • 6,504 posts

I just came upon this:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/experts-debate-should-you-ever-do-a-juice-cleanse/?utm_source=international&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MFP_Intl_NL_UI_Weekly_20190114&os_ehash=55@sfmc:192570691

Had a look at this and it is very superficial and only just scratches the surface of the topics mentioned.     One of the previous posters has it 100% right in my opinion,  in that every one is different and that there are many different styles of diets and each person needs to choose the thing that they will best be able to maintain, as it is this maintainability that will actually enable the results you are looking for.  

There is no "one size fits all" solution to this weight loss dilemma,   If you simply take this one dimension aspect then at one end of the continuum you simply stop eating to lose weight and eventually you lose weight and die,  at the other end  you eat too much gain weight and eventually die!     So you are left with all that grey area in between,  Vegan, intermittent fasting, Keto, Carnivorous diet, low carb diet, low fat diet  juicing  Etc etc.      

Now  when you add in the "health" aspect of losing.gaining weight you add a new level of complexity to the situation.     

STRESS  seams to be mentioned in most if not all the lose weight systems as one of the major considerations/causes in weight control.     So one way of helping with this stress is to remove your self from your usual (stressful) routine and go and enjoy a nice "xxxxx" in a relaxing atmosphere and chill out for a 30 minutes or more!

Check out your local healthy cafes in your area,  simply do a google search for health or lifestyle or de stress and see what takes your fancy!

And a blatant plug  if you are in the Chiang Mai area  check out Zenzen Lifestyle Cafe in Meechok Plazza,  or if you are an early bird  check out JJ Markets on a Sunday morning for all the Organic, Keto, freah breads, Smoked Hams and delicious healthy foods..

Currently just losing weight by eating less and exercising. But I am one of those people who can easily eat the same thing day in day out. So I bought myself some frozen vegetables from makro that i put in my steamer. Then i take some chicken or other meat and I am set for a meal. I just don't trust the Thai fresh vegetables too much pesticides.

I could make a roast and just cut enough meat off add it to steamed vegetables. No need to always go to pricey shops (especially if its a lifestyle change). For a while I ordered salads from Jones salad on a daily base. While not that expensive it added up and preparing it yourself by buying organic salad and olives... chicken and smoked salmon and storing it in the fridge gave me a much bigger  salad for a lot less of the price. So no need to spend your money on expensive shops just learn to cook yourself. 

• Like 1

The question is what will you do after the juicing.

10 hours ago, madmen said:

The question is what will you do after the juicing.

I juiced for a while, but made a vegetable juice. But it tasted really bad, i am sure it was healthy but if I added to much bitter stuff it would end up with me running to the toilet. Especially if too much garlic and ginger was added. 

I did not see juicing as a thing for weight loss more as a way to get extra vitamins and minerals in my diet. But it really became a bore cleaning the slow juicer and always having to make sure all the vegetables where there to make the juice. 

This whole weight loss question is all about a life style change and a balanced diet,  whatever fad or diet you choose.   It is the ability to sustain the change that is the key to permanent weight loss and not simply the yoyo-ing up and down!   There is also a big difference between Fruit juicing and vegetable juicing.  The main culprits in weight gain are Sugars and large portion meals.    Some form of program with juicing  can help reduce th sugar cravings and help with portion size control.

A slow introduction to the stronger green Veggie juices is a must!  Especially for "overweight" people as they are most probably already strongly addicted to sugar and sweet tastes!!    So adding sweeter tasting veggies like beetroot or even adding some green apples to begin with will make it easier to start and continue with it.  And having a cafe do the preparing and cleaning for you would be worth the extra expense,  especially if you have never juiced before and do not want the expense of buying a juicer up front.    A SORT OF TRY BEFORE YOU BUY IDEA.....  Along with a slow introduction to the stronger tasting juices like Ginger, lemon grass, tumeric  etc (mixing these with pineapple juice is a good solution)..

13 hours ago, Oztaffy said:

A slow introduction to the stronger green Veggie juices is a must!  Especially for "overweight" people as they are most probably already strongly addicted to sugar and sweet tastes!!    So adding sweeter tasting veggies like beetroot or even adding some green apples to begin with will make it easier to start and continue with it.  And having a cafe do the preparing and cleaning for you would be worth the extra expense,  especially if you have never juiced before and do not want the expense of buying a juicer up front.    A SORT OF TRY BEFORE YOU BUY IDEA.....  Along with a slow introduction to the stronger tasting juices like Ginger, lemon grass, tumeric  etc (mixing these with pineapple juice is a good solution)..

You do understand that fruit juices are not healthy ? You get far too much sugars from your drinks then without the fiber you would normally get when you eat fruits. Vegetable juices are something else as vegetables are not caloric rich. 

Bickering troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

I juiced for a while, but made a vegetable juice. But it tasted really bad, i am sure it was healthy but if I added to much bitter stuff it would end up with me running to the toilet. Especially if too much garlic and ginger was added. 

I did not see juicing as a thing for weight loss more as a way to get extra vitamins and minerals in my diet. But it really became a bore cleaning the slow juicer and always having to make sure all the vegetables where there to make the juice. 
I only make carrot juice these days , it really tastes great , I make 2 litres of it and then freeze it,
then when its time to drink it , I put a bottle in the fridge over night and the juice is ice cold , ready to drink. Its really delicious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, balo said:

I only make carrot juice these days , it really tastes great , I make 2 litres of it and then freeze it,
then when its time to drink it , I put a bottle in the fridge over night and the juice is ice cold , ready to drink. Its really delicious.

I admit, i got too lazy to find loads of vegetables and then juicing them. Cleaning my slow juicer was a bit of a process. Right now no juices just water or pepsi max, loads of vegetables and some meat, a few protein shakes and healthy fats. Some carbs close to the time i exercise and it all seems to work for me. Slowly getting rid of the flab that i build up in the 4 months of inactivity. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, robblok said:

I admit, i got too lazy to find loads of vegetables and then juicing them. Cleaning my slow juicer was a bit of a process. Right now no juices just water or pepsi max, loads of vegetables and some meat, a few protein shakes and healthy fats. Some carbs close to the time i exercise and it all seems to work for me. Slowly getting rid of the flab that i build up in the 4 months of inactivity. 

You might re-evaluate using artificial sweetners that are listed as ZERO calorie.  Lots of research shows they cause weight increases double that of consuming the normal sugar alternative.  No one knows why but the research on the weight gain is out there and it is shocking!

Just a thought!  

Unsugared tea and coffee and water for me.  And when I am in Thailand a nice coconut water from the street vendor.  I don't drink it here it has been too adulterated in the USA. 

8 hours ago, dontoearth said:

You might re-evaluate using artificial sweetners that are listed as ZERO calorie.  Lots of research shows they cause weight increases double that of consuming the normal sugar alternative.  No one knows why but the research on the weight gain is out there and it is shocking!

Just a thought!  

Unsugared tea and coffee and water for me.  And when I am in Thailand a nice coconut water from the street vendor.  I don't drink it here it has been too adulterated in the USA. 

I read about it and other research countered that research. So its a bit hard to know what is true. I try to drink as much water as possible as I think it would be better on the long run. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I read about it and other research countered that research. So its a bit hard to know what is true. I try to drink as much water as possible as I think it would be better on the long run. 

Glad you limit it.  I cut it out entirely back in the 80's.  The taste of the artificial sweeteners gave me stomach upset and heart burn.  I don't use the sugar ones either anymore.  Gave those up even tho.' I liked the taste and had no digestion problems. I don't want the additional empty calories with no nutritional benefit.

The science research I read was very damning!  The counter research is from Coke, Pepsi and their sweetened soft drink associations.  It is estimated they spend $65 million USD a year making sure they have of plenty of murky research.  The research doesn't deny the weight gain they just deny the culpability of the sodas.  Could be unaccounted for by other variables etc.  

Basically they are following the lead of the cigarette manufacturers who to this very day claim no study has proved that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer.

20 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

Glad you limit it.  I cut it out entirely back in the 80's.  The taste of the artificial sweeteners gave me stomach upset and heart burn.  I don't use the sugar ones either anymore.  Gave those up even tho.' I liked the taste and had no digestion problems. I don't want the additional empty calories with no nutritional benefit.

The science research I read was very damning!  The counter research is from Coke, Pepsi and their sweetened soft drink associations.  It is estimated they spend $65 million USD a year making sure they have of plenty of murky research.  The research doesn't deny the weight gain they just deny the culpability of the sodas.  Could be unaccounted for by other variables etc.  

Basically they are following the lead of the cigarette manufacturers who to this very day claim no study has proved that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer.

Lets put it this way the counter research was put on a famous bodybuilder site that has nothing to win by promoting unhealthy things. I trust the people who reviewed that evidence as they usually do a good job with other research too.

That being said i just limit it as you can't be too sure. I get your point about empty calories, though its one of the few things i indulge in. Just a glas a day. However the moment my diet stalls that ill be cut out too. right now I can still take it. In the end I do want to switch totally to water. I have tried it before but it is hard for me. 

I hate that i had such a bad year in 2018 however i see the results already from a month of working out hard and minding diet. So i figure maximum of 2 more months to be back where I ended. Gaining alle the muscle back might take a bit longer. The last few KG's of muscle are always the hardest to gain back. 

I hope 2019 will bring me a lot of good things training wise, first bad year ever 2018.. health problems (sleeping) and then motivation problems. That kinda ruined it. I had some good periods too in 2018 but in the end i just went off the deep end. Nothing major that can't be corrected. Just annoyed with myself for letting it slip. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Lets put it this way the counter research was put on a famous bodybuilder site that has nothing to win by promoting unhealthy things. I trust the people who reviewed that evidence as they usually do a good job with other research too.

That being said i just limit it as you can't be too sure. I get your point about empty calories, though its one of the few things i indulge in. Just a glas a day. However the moment my diet stalls that ill be cut out too. right now I can still take it. In the end I do want to switch totally to water. I have tried it before but it is hard for me. 

I hate that i had such a bad year in 2018 however i see the results already from a month of working out hard and minding diet. So i figure maximum of 2 more months to be back where I ended. Gaining alle the muscle back might take a bit longer. The last few KG's of muscle are always the hardest to gain back. 

I hope 2019 will bring me a lot of good things training wise, first bad year ever 2018.. health problems (sleeping) and then motivation problems. That kinda ruined it. I had some good periods too in 2018 but in the end i just went off the deep end. Nothing major that can't be corrected. Just annoyed with myself for letting it slip. 

I always like to look at the footnotes and sources.  If they don't have that I move on when I am seeking definite factual advice.

You might add lemon or lime to your water.  Have some teas without sweeteners.  I find just water gets a bit dull.  I have coffee nothing in it.  Drink it black.  I have various teas and drink them all with nothing in the cup but the water and tea.  

If I were in Thailand I would have a fresh on the street coconut water.  I miss that.

My 2018 was the same.  Returning to the states to take care of elderly relatives is a bummer and it really undid lots of my progress.  I don't see any chance to get back on the programs I did in the near future.  I am just trying to maintain.  That is more difficult than making progress actually.