Trump rejects senator's proposal for temporary government reopening

webfact

Trump rejects senator's proposal for temporary government reopening

2019-01-14T152550Z_1_LYNXNPEF0D19O_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the news media before boarding Marine One to depart for travel to New Orleans from the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., January 14, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he rejected a proposal from a Republican ally in the Senate that he temporarily reopen closed parts of the government to allow resumption of negotiations on a funding standoff.

As he left the White House for a trip to Louisiana, Trump told reporters he did not agree with Republican Senator Lindsey Graham's proposal to reopen the government for three weeks.

If talks fail during that period, Graham said on Sunday, then Trump could go ahead and declare a national emergency to bypass Congress and get money for a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border - the issue that triggered the shutdown on Dec. 22.

Trump has held out the option of declaring a national emergency if he cannot get a deal with lawmakers. He said on Monday he was not looking to do so.

The federal government has been partially shut over Trump's demand that a spending bill include $5.7 billion to build a wall along the border with Mexico as he promised during his campaign. Democrats have refused further negotiations until the government is reopened.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Writing by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Bill Trott)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-15

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trump needs to stand his ground here. Caving in to bullies is a real no no. To keep a sense of reality in this highly politicized and deeply dishonest anti-Trump frenzy how about we review what the bigwigs in the Democrat party have previously said about the wall.

“Illegal Immigration is wrong, plain and simple. Until the American people are convinced we will stop future flows of illegal immigration, we will make no progress.” - Schumer

“We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented and unchecked” - Obama

“I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders.” -  Clinton

Now can any of the Trump haters on this forum explain exactly why the wall was a good idea until Trump became president, and a bad idea after? Because to me it looks like silly games and just a poor excuse to keep on bashing Trump.

44 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Trump needs to stand his ground here. Caving in to bullies is a real no no. To keep a sense of reality in this highly politicized and deeply dishonest anti-Trump frenzy how about we review what the bigwigs in the Democrat party have previously said about the wall.

“Illegal Immigration is wrong, plain and simple. Until the American people are convinced we will stop future flows of illegal immigration, we will make no progress.” - Schumer

“We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented and unchecked” - Obama

“I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders.” -  Clinton

Now can any of the Trump haters on this forum explain exactly why the wall was a good idea until Trump became president, and a bad idea after? Because to me it looks like silly games and just a poor excuse to keep on bashing Trump.

It has long been said that the best lies contain a few nuggets of truth in the mixture and your post is no exception. You have made quotes discussing the need for quality immigration, not one of which uses the word wall. 

You do have it absolutely correct when you state that caving into bullies is a no no, though you seem to be making a mistake on who the bully is. It is Mr. Trump who is saying give me the money or Government stays shut down. He is the one in the threatening position, so it is he who is the bully.

While we are discussing quotes, do you remember this one. "we are going to build a wall and the Mexicans are going to pay for it." Having singularly failed to keep his promise on that one, not only is the US taxpayer now looking at the bill for something most recognise as a complete waste of money, he is making life a misery for hundreds of thousands of workers and their families. No silly games, no excuses. Trump has said he is proud to own this issue, so please don't try to suggest he is not able to stop it, or that criticism of him for it, is not justified.

4 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

All that's needed to be done to stop the Schumer Shutdown is to give Donald the crumbs he's asking for to help build the Wall. 

The Democrats hatred for DJT is quite simply mind-boggling. 

Crumbs!!! as put by another TV member just one burger my solve the problem, well seeing he ordered in 300...

7 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

All that's needed to be done to stop the Schumer Shutdown is to give Donald the crumbs he's asking for to help build the Wall. 

If he stopped telling lies, thousands of them, stopped boasting about himself and showed that he was a normal and intelligent human being, then perhaps he MIGHT earn just a little bit of respect...........but even that is doubtful given the idiot that he is.

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

No one (I repeat: No One!) is in favor of illegal immigration!

The hint is in the word "illegal"!

This is a lie, that has been told by the Faux and friends and the Republicans for way too long!

That being said: illegal immigration as at an all time low!

Crimes, committed by "illegal" immigrants are at an all time low!

All that without the stupid wall!

We all know, what this is: Trump needs the wall, because it it something physical, something you can actually see!

Why?

Because his dumbass followers have something to look at, something not as abstract as "employment numbers", "tariffs" or humbug like that!

He needs 5pointsomething billion, so he can build A PART of a wall, so he has something to show to his base!

This is a dog & pony -show and nothing else!

...and you know it!

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

If he stopped telling lies, thousands of them, stopped boasting about himself and showed that he was a normal and intelligent human being, then perhaps he MIGHT earn just a little bit of respect...........but even that is doubtful given the idiot that he is.

We all know none of that is ever going to happen. It's all about his base. His racist base.

Trump’s Shutdown Settles It: His Base Is About Racism, Not Jobs

Last night, President Trump spent a handful of minutes spewing falsehoods about the dangers of illegal aliens. He seemed somewhat deflated, not his usually Mussolini-esque self, as he drearily delivered the usual Stephen Miller-composed, combatively factless diatribe with a self-righteousness that can only be described as a classic in the genre of moral turpitude.

Read more: https://forward.com/opinion/417326/trumps-shutdown-settles-it-his-supporters-care-more-about-being-racists/

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I think you will have difficulties coming up with references for "thousands" of lies. I did find a list of "Trump's lies" and most of them either weren't lies or distortions of what he said. It's a lie if it's intentionally untruthful.

Have you counted the inmtentional lies told by Comey, Brennan, Hillary, Wasserman-Schulz and all the rest? Much more serious and generally ignored by the MSM. FISA warrant? Russia hoax? Selling Uranium to RUSSIA? I certainly don't accuse those people of being stupid even if they are proven liars.

News for you: Mexico will pay for the wall, and ever since Trump blocked entrance, Mexico is having to pay the cost of looking after these people instead of dumping them on the US. 

You are accusing him (and doubtless most other people that you disagree with) of being stupid and a liar. Great argument, usually comes from the left. 

2 minutes ago, cooked said:

It's a lie if it's intentionally untruthful.

Quite right as most of the thousands he tells are..........plenty of evidence as to that. It's in his nature, he can't help himself.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/24/politics/donald-trump-lies-mistruth-scaramucci/index.html 

2 minutes ago, cooked said:

News for you: Mexico will pay for the wall, and ever since Trump blocked entrance, Mexico is having to pay the cost of looking after these people instead of dumping them on the US.

A poor effort at deflection at best.

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

You are accusing him (and doubtless most other people that you disagree with) of being stupid and a liar.

Well he is as evidenced by his actions and many untruths.......and he puts his foot in his mouth every time he opens it (the "doctors" letter that he dictated; the bone-spurs excuse, etc.............).

There is one overarching thing to remember:- most NORMAL human beings do not like or look up to people who are liars, cheats, misogynists, racists and bullies, and those who do? Well what does that say about their character?

29 minutes ago, xylophone said:

There is one overarching thing to remember:- most NORMAL human beings do not like or look up to people who are liars, cheats, misogynists, racists and bullies, and those who do? Well what does that say about their character?

Well said.  That pretty much sums up these wacko Trump supporters.  I get why Trump is lying and cheating and being an overall scumbag.  That's who he is.  But what's up with his supporters?  These are some sad human beings. 

trump continually puts his foot in his mouth but he gets things done, lower taxes, lowest unemployment rate for years, more african americans in work, then you look at the dems. They elect sub intellect people that have committed fraud and then put her in charge of the US banks, the youngest new member is a total idiot, so many have very little intelligence but have become multi millionaires while "representing" their communities that are falling to pieces, making sure husbands and family have been given massive contracts or over paid, had the govt pay out their sexual dalliances etc. The you get them going off on a jaunt instead of trying to work things out but they did decide to put in millions of dollars to be given to overseas women seeking abortions but refuse to even help their own ex servicemen. Dem states are paying huge taxes to support illegal immigrants(5 billion for a wall is a no no but well over 100 billion to pay for illegal immigrants in the US is fine), one state has offered free medical to the same people but threatened legal action against any poor americans that dont pay their way, yep I can see where all the idiocy is, its one thing to vote for the party you like continuously for years because of what they did in the past but it is entirely another to vote for them when they are destroying your country and you still stand up for them especially when from what I have seen is just the pure hatred of trump for defeating the dem candidate that was even more corrupt, yet try to demean those that voted against her when they are the pathetic ones who are too blinded to see what is happening

7 minutes ago, seajae said:

trump continually puts his foot in his mouth but he gets things done, lower taxes, lowest unemployment rate for years, more african americans in work, then you look at the dems. They elect sub intellect people that have committed fraud and then put her in charge of the US banks, the youngest new member is a total idiot, so many have very little intelligence but have become multi millionaires while "representing" their communities that are falling to pieces, making sure husbands and family have been given massive contracts or over paid, had the govt pay out their sexual dalliances etc. The you get them going off on a jaunt instead of trying to work things out but they did decide to put in millions of dollars to be given to overseas women seeking abortions but refuse to even help their own ex servicemen. Dem states are paying huge taxes to support illegal immigrants(5 billion for a wall is a no no but well over 100 billion to pay for illegal immigrants in the US is fine), one state has offered free medical to the same people but threatened legal action against any poor americans that dont pay their way, yep I can see where all the idiocy is, its one thing to vote for the party you like continuously for years because of what they did in the past but it is entirely another to vote for them when they are destroying your country and you still stand up for them especially when from what I have seen is just the pure hatred of trump for defeating the dem candidate that was even more corrupt, yet try to demean those that voted against her when they are the pathetic ones who are too blinded to see what is happening

Wow...I hope, this is sarcasm!

Otherwise: you need to get a reality check and professional help!

16 minutes ago, seajae said:

I did not vote for the other major party candidate but the subject of this posting is Individual #1. Personally, I do not "hate" but I do oppose his own words, his own policies and his own actions. Wrong person as POTUS and the American voters confirmed that by their voting for other candidates or staying home in 2016. The midterm elections of 2018 certainly did not confirm support for his or the Republican Party leadership direction.

5 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Here is the FULL quote:

"We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States, undetected, undocumented, unchecked and circumventing the line of people who are waiting patiently, diligently and lawfully to become immigrants in this country." (my underline emphasis)

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/barack-obama-2005-immigration-quote/

This is not the zero tolerance policy that Trump instituted wherein immigrants are blockaded from entry to request asylum, forced to circumvent official border crossings in order to request asylum, illegally removed from the US side of the border without any immigration hearing or after being assigned an immigration hearing deported out of the US without due process of law.

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Oh, I don’t think you have to be a democrat to hate trump and what he does. Again you are a funny, funny man. Just not in a laughing way.....

There is of course another option. Renounce the tax cuts to the rich that were put in place, declare those beneficiaries ‘Mexico’ and voila! You have money and it came from ‘Mexico’. At least as ‘paid for by Mexico’ as the drivel about trade benefits being the way Mexico will pay.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

I think you will have difficulties coming up with references for "thousands" of lies. I did find a list of "Trump's lies" and most of them either weren't lies or distortions of what he said. It's a lie if it's intentionally untruthful.

Have you counted the inmtentional lies told by Comey, Brennan, Hillary, Wasserman-Schulz and all the rest? Much more serious and generally ignored by the MSM. FISA warrant? Russia hoax? Selling Uranium to RUSSIA? I certainly don't accuse those people of being stupid even if they are proven liars.

You are accusing him (and doubtless most other people that you disagree with) of being stupid and a liar. Great argument, usually comes from the left. 

C’mon.... if his thousands of documented “lies” and documented “untruths” were unintentional... then he really is a stupid man.

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Lmao!

i was going to “... explain....”.... but I see that it’s already been explained to you so effectively, by multiple posters, that if you don’t understand by now, it’s willful ignorance at work, and thus you will never understand.

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

trump continually puts his foot in his mouth but he gets things done, lower taxes, lowest unemployment rate for years

unemployment is already going down every year consistanly since 2010 so it is normal and not a trump thing.

Accualy figures shows the last y the average number was around 6.3 million unemployed persons so the only thing what did happen is it stayed status quo until now.

But wait and see what will happen this y with all those extra taxes he brought in so called to protect the American industry.

So don't give him credit for something he didn't do at all.

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

Crumbs!!! as put by another TV member just one burger my solve the problem, well seeing he ordered in 300...

Trump has been serving whoppers his whole life. Now he’s serving them from The Whitehouse.

Archived