Smartphone Driver License Not Accepted By Cops

webfact

Smartphone Driver License Not Accepted By Cops

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

201612191040172-20150226125203-696x464.j

Traffic police man a checkpoint on Dec. 19, 2016, in Sakon Nakhon province.

BANGKOK — If you’re stopped by traffic police, don’t whip out your phone and show them a digital driver’s license touted by transport officials just yet.

Police said Tuesday they would not recognize digital driver’s licenses until a legal amendment is in place. Failing to show physical driving ID will result in a fine per the current laws, Maj. Gen. Ekkalak Limsankart told reporters.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/01/15/smartphone-driver-license-not-accepted-by-cops/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-15

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Oziex1 said:

Would like to know a few stats, how many have taken up the app when is the amendment likely to be in place. Are the police being lenient on those with the app but no old licence?

When people get a 'digital licence' all it means is they still get issued with a normal licence, but it will have a QR code on the back of it.

So for the present, they just still need to take the real licence(s) with them:

image.png.4bc9b7311ba4cf628cc6dbbf0e39cc3b.png

what an absolute waste of time and money, its no hardship to carry your licence, except for a thai maybe, i was stopped a few weeks ago, usual crap, thai girl behind me no helmet, (bet she had no licence as she did not produce it,) so she had a chat all smiles, then off she goes, cop wanted to look under my seat, no fkin way, looking for the machete, i generally carry, but not on a Tuesday for Friday. (joking) as this is police tea money days.

1 minute ago, shady86 said:
43 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
Can't you read? 
"until a legal amendment is in place"

Are you staying in Thailand? You can see how many government website actually works, all made up to benefit some parties.

Yes, many websites all over the world are not up to date, so nothing new there. This isn't a website, it is an App, do you know the difference? 

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

There you go. Few millions wasted for digital license program. Guess where the money go to?

Why?...  "Ekkalak said a legal backing of the digital ID is included in drafts of amendment to the current traffic laws, which would be deliberated by the interim parliament on Thursday".

51 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Can't you read? 

"until a legal amendment is in place"

I suspect shady86's skepticism will be more than justified, knowing that legal amendments aren't this regime's strong point.

Can't you think . . . at least for a moment, before letting go both barrels?

21 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But all of the details should should have been considered before they make the initial announcements about the 'start date'.

The announcement was the most important thing, with all the attendant fanfare, the attention-seekers getting the required attention.

Most annoying when people actually check the project delivery.

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But all of the details should should have been considered before they make the initial announcements about the 'start date'.

Yes, but don't carts normally go before horses in Thailand?

Wouldn’t it be nice if not correct and fair to everyone if their laws apply to Thai people as well ?! There wouldn’t be so many accidents on the roads ( expect for break failure naturally Lol ) All of them would have to wear the helmet and prohibited from carrying their entire family on the motorbikes, not jumping red lights, no driving the wrong way creeping up at you whilst riding/driving oh forgot to mention having the so called Thai motorists take a proper driving course both theoretical and driven on the roads plus getting rid of all these polluting busses, trucks and whateve ryou May find on the roads ????????‍♂️

And how about imposing M.OT to everyone ? I would also pester them with tv alerts about dangerous driving on Thai roads and least but not last doing driving campaign ( where the suitable cops get involved ) On the roads while they’re at it ?!

i very much dubt all of the above mentioned will ever happen here until then the coffin families business will only get richer ????

Archived