Smartphone Driver License Not Accepted By Cops

webfact

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

I suspect shady86's skepticism will be more than justified, knowing that legal amendments aren't this regime's strong point.

Can't you think . . . at least for a moment, before letting go both barrels?

And what professional experience do you have with legal amendments in Thailand?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, the habit of the police of confiscating driving licences off Thais will stop this one going forwards until they have developed the "holding licence at station app" where the Thais have to go to the police station and deposit gems on the app to release their licence. Even the Thai police are not stupid enough to try and confiscate a Thais phone. Large chest of gems now available in New Year sale for 500THB with a random boost card included (Some gold boost cards allow 1 murder free).

Carry a physical driver’s license or be fined, say police as approval for digital app delayed

By The Nation

0934b78a0f86cfe9da9f8c8dec694fd4.jpeg

Motorists are being warned that they must temporarily continue to carry a physical version of their driver’s license to show police, despite a digital app version being slated to come into effect on Tuesday.

Police said they would impose a fine under the current law if motorists failed to present the physical card. Police would not recognise the new digital driver’s licence until a legal amendment is in place, said Pol Maj-General Ekkalak, deputy commander of the Police Education Bureau of Royal Thai Police.

The National Legislative Assembly will on January 17 consider amending the Land Traffic Act, BE 2522 (1979) to allow the digital driver’s licence, he said. In the meantime, police would still check the physical licences and impose fines accordingly. 

The Department of Land Transport had aimed to implement the digital app from January 15 onward. The app shows a QR code, enabling police to scan for details including bans or outstanding fines.

A digital licence would come in handy at an accident scene as it will host the driver’s profile, including vital information such as blood type, allergies and location.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30362278

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-15

3 hours ago, kannot said:

how  much is  the fine for no driving licence  then?

B200 for Thai.

B500 for Foreigner.

As I was told by several Thai colleagues a couple of weeks ago. "B500? You must have paid the Farang price!"

Just now, Retfed50 said:

Do any government agencies in Thailand ever work with one another?

In a word, NO. The right hand has as little to do with the left as is humanly possible.

This is further proof that walking and chewing gum is well beyond the capability of most the bureaucrats involved. Announcing with great fanfare that a new service is available without making sure the laws and co-operation with other departments is in place.

On a different note, how will the plod take your licence to deliver to the station if it is a virtual thing? They might have to learn how to use the pens and fill out a proper ticket on the spot, the infringement pad will not look good in the pants of the BIB.

Waiting for the first confiscated phone story to hit the press.

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

There you go. Few millions wasted for digital license program. Guess where the money go to?

it isnt wasted...only transferred to the right pocket.

thailand 4.0 = all 4 the top brass: 0 for average joe public.

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Can't you read? 

"until a legal amendment is in place"

Yes, and according to the khaosodenglish and other news sources, "a legal backing of the digital ID is included in drafts of amendment to the current traffic laws, which would be deliberated by the interim parliament on Thursday."

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

corruption.  to create as much confusion whenever possible to extort money.

i can not wait for marijuana to be "legalized". :clap2:

Do you know the difference between "advance notice" and "entry into force", or are you unable to read!? 

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

But all of the details should should have been considered before they make the initial announcements about the 'start date'.

Don't u know that u are in Thailand?  This IS the Thai way, Forget about Common sense.

1 hour ago, jerojero said:
8 hours ago, kannot said:

Wifie in the village here (in Issan) got stopped recently, didn't have her license with her, said the cop asked 400 baht fine but she negotiated down to 300. 

Surely the official fine is 200 Baht.

5 hours ago, JAG said:

B200 for Thai.

B500 for Foreigner.

As I was told by several Thai colleagues a couple of weeks ago. "B500? You must have paid the Farang price!"

great happy to pay every time, only been asked twice in 13  years

4 hours ago, johng said:

The top blue oblong is to login if already registered.
Second oblong down is to register via qr code
Third oblong to register without qr code.

I dont see a "Ferk you" option?

2 hours ago, jerojero said:
9 hours ago, kannot said:

Wifie in the village here (in Issan) got stopped recently, didn't have her license with her, said the cop asked 400 baht fine but she negotiated down to 300.

wonder if  they accept  copy  of licence?

offering digital is ok (I guess).I don’t think it will be widely used. 

I’m not downloading an app I’m not fairly sure of hacked. With all the information on it. 

Plus i carry a wallet with license and money for the wife....

I rarely take my phone with me.... if it’s important they'll

call back. 

Hopefully it didn’t cost over the top money.... how many people 

drive with out a license. I’d think that’s a fairly big number. 

I see lots kids that feet feet barely reaching the ground whenever 

going into town . 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:33 AM, mserror said:

The announcement was the most important thing, with all the attendant fanfare, the attention-seekers getting the required attention.

Most annoying when people actually check the project delivery.

Not totally unknown for government departments or politicians in the worldly-wise western democracies to make vacuous, pre-emptive statements of intent if only to push some pedantic heel-dragging, hand-sitter off the metaphorical fence.

...or is that me just virtue signalling (again)?

Archived