Government health insurance scheme - please explain

simon43

This topic has been mentioned in several previous threads. I'd like a clarification about the government health cover scheme for foreigners who have been legally employed and contributing to this scheme.

As I understand things, if I were to be employed for at least six months, I would then be eligible to continuing paying into that health cover, even after I no longer was employed, and as long as I continued to contribute, I'd be covered with no age ceiling etc.  Is my understanding correct?

I ask more as a 'plan B' scenario.  I already pay for expat private health cover, and that's all fine.  But I'm thinking of a worse-case scenario where my annual insurance premiums increased significantly as I got old, and where a change in my financial circumstances might mean that I were unable to afford the premiums any longer.  At least if I had the government scheme as a back-up, it would provide me with some modest cover.

This question has arisen because I currently teach online (and that income is all fine and good).  But I've been offered a STEM teaching position at a very respected school in Thailand, with a reasonable employment package.  It might be sensible for me to accept this offer, pay into the government scheme and then decide if I want to return to freelance teaching at a later date.

Archived