BANGKOK 19 February 2019 07:55

I just went down to my bank (Krungsri/Ayudhya) to check on a few things related to the letter that is required from a bank showing monthly, international deposits of a particular amount to satisfy the income requirement for Type O-A (Guardian/Marriage/Retirement) visas. Their reply, translated from Thai, was "We never heard of such a thing!" 

So, I am hoping someone on this forum has actually SUCCESSFULLY used a letter like this to verify their income (not money on deposit, but income). If they have, please post it here or send it to me (contact by personal message) so I can show it to my bank. If you do this, just black-out your name, address, account number, or anything else you want to keep confidential.

The other issue is the INTERNATIONAL transfer deposit requirement. I was told at my bank that ALL INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS go to The Bank of Thailand, (the Central Bank of Thailand) first, and then are forwarded to the bank specified in the transfer. So, I'm wondering if my bank will be able to actually verify that the transfer was an INTERNATIONAL one.

Also, I use Transferwise, an online transfer service, to transfer my money. They take it out of my US account using my debit card, and then a couple days later, it's deposited in my Thai bank. I don't know if this transaction also uses the Bank of Thailand or some other 3rd-party bank to complete the transfer. If they do, then again, my bank might not be able to verify that the transfer has come from an INTERNATIONAL source.

If anyone else has any experience doing this or has any suggestions to offer, let me know. My next visa extension isn't due until next December so I have some time to make whatever adjustments I need to. My problem right now is that I don't know what those adjustments might have to be.

Any thought?

Edited by ubonjoe
removed email address (forum rule)
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm only looking for a letter from them verifying that I have received monthly, international deposits of a certain amount. That is my understanding is what is now required to qualify for a Type O-A visa if you cannot get an income letter from your embassy.

You cannot apply for a OA visa at immigration since they are only issued at a embassy. You would be applying for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

It is not clear yet what will be on the letter. It may only be a letter confirming you account is valid with a statement or stamped/signed copies of you bank book showing the transfers into the country attached to it.

Yes, I know all that, but it is the "transfers into the country" which I am worried about. 

My bank book shows the transfers, but it only shows a "Teller" column and a code in that column. All the transfers I'm concerned with show the same "teller," "1274H," and that "teller" code only shows up on these international transfers. I asked the bank if that code signified they were international transfers, or at least from the Bank of Thailand, and they couldn't answer that. They are checking on it for me and have promised to call me with an answer. I will, of course, post their response here when I get it.

I hope all this will be just that simple.

Edited by billsmart
clarification

I use the 800k method and when I send money into Thailand I always get a copy of the Credit Advice/Receipt from the bank for my personal records.  My receipts show I requested transfer, source of funds and intermediate bank and routed to main Bangkok Bank branch and they deposit baht in my account.   It reflects dollar amount sent, bank fees and exchange rate.

You might try going to your bank and ask only the person that handles foreign currency exchange (I never ask regular teller) for a copy of Credit Advice/Receipt.  Show them your bank book and point out which transfer/transfers deposits you want Receipt.  Once you have these receipts take to person that generates bank letter and ask them to generate letter stating dates and amounts shown on receipts.  I would think they could generate letter using bank book if code indicates foreign transfer deposit.  My Bangkok Bank book code shows it as foreign transfer.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The want a letter certifying letter your account is valid. See the topic I posted a link to.

sorry.

Thanks to everyone who posted responses here.

I think now I've narrowed my concern down to just one: identifying my transfers as "international" transfers to the satisfaction of Thai Immigrations. That's one of the questions I've asked my bank (Krungsri/Ayudhya) already, so I just have to wait on their answer. 🤔

4 hours ago, billsmart said:

Thanks to everyone who posted responses here.

I think now I've narrowed my concern down to just one: identifying my transfers as "international" transfers to the satisfaction of Thai Immigrations. That's one of the questions I've asked my bank (Krungsri/Ayudhya) already, so I just have to wait on their answer. 🤔

There are along discussions and back-forth on this topic in other threads.  Transferwise has several banks they use as "local partners."   If the transfer goes direct to your bank, you get an international code.  If it goes through another Thai bank first, you don't.  Some think TW will always show international at Bangkok Bank - but even that is not 100% certain (they have other partner-banks here). 

I would not count on being able to get your bank to write some sort of custom-letter based on "credit-advice" on multiple transfers, or similar.  Most likely, you will be using a bank-history statement - possibly a modified one showing only incoming international transfers.

Personally, I would use a transfer method that is reliably international - a SWIFT transfer without an "intermediate bank" in Thailand specified.  If your Thai bank's SWIFT instructions include an intermediate Thai-bank, I would go open an account at that bank, and use it for your transfers.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I haven't read that one has to show where they got the 800000 from. I'm not saying they don't, but where is it written? 

3 minutes ago, cleverman said:

I haven't read that one has to show where they got the 800000 from. I'm not saying they don't, but where is it written? 

No source is needed for a "seasoned 800K in the bank" for a 1-year extension - only for a Non-O stamp done at immigration in-Thailand. 

However, proving one's monthly-transfers are international is required for the income-based method - from what we know so far based on the stated "new rules" for those who can no longer get embassy-letters.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My transfers from HSBC in UK, via Swift, to Bangkok Bank, are shown as BTN in my passbook. Hardly proof of an international transfer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1