Income Letter from Bank

I just went down to my bank (Krungsri/Ayudhya) to check on a few things related to the letter that is required from a bank showing monthly, international deposits of a particular amount to satisfy the income requirement for Type O-A (Guardian/Marriage/Retirement) visas. Their reply, translated from Thai, was "We never heard of such a thing!" 

So, I am hoping someone on this forum has actually SUCCESSFULLY used a letter like this to verify their income (not money on deposit, but income). If they have, please post it here or send it to me (contact by personal message) so I can show it to my bank. If you do this, just black-out your name, address, account number, or anything else you want to keep confidential.

The other issue is the INTERNATIONAL transfer deposit requirement. I was told at my bank that ALL INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS go to The Bank of Thailand, (the Central Bank of Thailand) first, and then are forwarded to the bank specified in the transfer. So, I'm wondering if my bank will be able to actually verify that the transfer was an INTERNATIONAL one.

Also, I use Transferwise, an online transfer service, to transfer my money. They take it out of my US account using my debit card, and then a couple days later, it's deposited in my Thai bank. I don't know if this transaction also uses the Bank of Thailand or some other 3rd-party bank to complete the transfer. If they do, then again, my bank might not be able to verify that the transfer has come from an INTERNATIONAL source.

If anyone else has any experience doing this or has any suggestions to offer, let me know. My next visa extension isn't due until next December so I have some time to make whatever adjustments I need to. My problem right now is that I don't know what those adjustments might have to be.

Any thought?

Edited by ubonjoe
removed email address (forum rule)
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm only looking for a letter from them verifying that I have received monthly, international deposits of a certain amount. That is my understanding is what is now required to qualify for a Type O-A visa if you cannot get an income letter from your embassy.

You cannot apply for a OA visa at immigration since they are only issued at a embassy. You would be applying for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

It is not clear yet what will be on the letter. It may only be a letter confirming you account is valid with a statement or stamped/signed copies of you bank book showing the transfers into the country attached to it.

Yes, I know all that, but it is the "transfers into the country" which I am worried about. 

My bank book shows the transfers, but it only shows a "Teller" column and a code in that column. All the transfers I'm concerned with show the same "teller," "1274H," and that "teller" code only shows up on these international transfers. I asked the bank if that code signified they were international transfers, or at least from the Bank of Thailand, and they couldn't answer that. They are checking on it for me and have promised to call me with an answer. I will, of course, post their response here when I get it.

I hope all this will be just that simple.

Edited by billsmart
clarification

I use the 800k method and when I send money into Thailand I always get a copy of the Credit Advice/Receipt from the bank for my personal records.  My receipts show I requested transfer, source of funds and intermediate bank and routed to main Bangkok Bank branch and they deposit baht in my account.   It reflects dollar amount sent, bank fees and exchange rate.

You might try going to your bank and ask only the person that handles foreign currency exchange (I never ask regular teller) for a copy of Credit Advice/Receipt.  Show them your bank book and point out which transfer/transfers deposits you want Receipt.  Once you have these receipts take to person that generates bank letter and ask them to generate letter stating dates and amounts shown on receipts.  I would think they could generate letter using bank book if code indicates foreign transfer deposit.  My Bangkok Bank book code shows it as foreign transfer.

Thanks to everyone who posted responses here.

I think now I've narrowed my concern down to just one: identifying my transfers as "international" transfers to the satisfaction of Thai Immigrations. That's one of the questions I've asked my bank (Krungsri/Ayudhya) already, so I just have to wait on their answer. ????

4 hours ago, billsmart said:

I think now I've narrowed my concern down to just one: identifying my transfers as "international" transfers to the satisfaction of Thai Immigrations. That's one of the questions I've asked my bank (Krungsri/Ayudhya) already, so I just have to wait on their answer. ????

There are along discussions and back-forth on this topic in other threads.  Transferwise has several banks they use as "local partners."   If the transfer goes direct to your bank, you get an international code.  If it goes through another Thai bank first, you don't.  Some think TW will always show international at Bangkok Bank - but even that is not 100% certain (they have other partner-banks here). 

I would not count on being able to get your bank to write some sort of custom-letter based on "credit-advice" on multiple transfers, or similar.  Most likely, you will be using a bank-history statement - possibly a modified one showing only incoming international transfers.

Personally, I would use a transfer method that is reliably international - a SWIFT transfer without an "intermediate bank" in Thailand specified.  If your Thai bank's SWIFT instructions include an intermediate Thai-bank, I would go open an account at that bank, and use it for your transfers.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cleverman said:

I haven't read that one has to show where they got the 800000 from. I'm not saying they don't, but where is it written? 

No source is needed for a "seasoned 800K in the bank" for a 1-year extension - only for a Non-O stamp done at immigration in-Thailand. 

However, proving one's monthly-transfers are international is required for the income-based method - from what we know so far based on the stated "new rules" for those who can no longer get embassy-letters.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, billsmart said:

If they are with Transferwise, that could be problematic as results vary.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billsmart said:

Yes, I'm only looking for a letter from them verifying that I have received monthly, international deposits of a certain amount. That is my understanding is what is now required to qualify for a Type O-A visa if you cannot get an income letter from your embassy.

If you go to online banking you can bring up your bank statement which will show a international transfer then you can print that off maybe the bank can witness that. I transferred some money from Australia on the 14/01 via transfer wise  and it shows up as the date and time and the words International Transfer

7 hours ago, johnmell said:

My transfers from HSBC in UK, via Swift, to Bangkok Bank, are shown as BTN in my passbook. Hardly proof of an international transfer.

On a SWIFT transfer, your bank will provide you with instructions on how to address the money.  If those instructions include an "intermediate bank" located in Thailand, I would not use this.  Instead, open an account at that "intermediate bank" (or Bangkok Bank), so as to avoid getting a statement showing your SWIFT transfers as "local" transfers.

2 hours ago, a977 said:

If you go to online banking you can bring up your bank statement which will show a international transfer then you can print that off maybe the bank can witness that. I transferred some money from Australia on the 14/01 via transfer wise  and it shows up as the date and time and the words International Transfer

The bank can print a statement which a bank-officer can stamp and sign.  They might not stamp something you brought to them, even if accurate.

• Like 1

My UK pension is transferred by Citibank to Kasikorn and always shows as Domestic on my book and statement. I also transferred money from HSBC by SWIFT a few months ago and that also showed as Domestic. All transfers also show the code BNT.

Opening a Bangkok Bank account seems the way forward as a few comments on the many threads indicate they are the most likely to show transfers as international.

I think all we can do is wait and see if anyone gets through with transferwise or Kasikorn etc transactions without scrutiny of the codes then all will be happy or ? 

I went to SCB this a.m. to find out about obtaining bank statements, ask whether income is shown as an International transfer etc.

The lady I spoke to didn't really understand the possible problem re. being able to prove that incoming money was coming from abroad (and didn't really care much either.....), BUT - I pointed to one of my incoming transfers to ask whether they were able to confirm that it was an international transfer, and she printed out a page headed 'Advice for customer - inward transfer'.

The page shows that the remittance was in GBP, 'Details of Payment' shows 'Transfer from NatWest' and 'Remittance Type' shows 'Inward Swift'.  All of which seems to be enough to prove that it was an International transfer to SCB.

Of course the latest arrangements re. providing proof of income for Immigration is very new at the moment, but I'm sure that over the next few months banks will find out what is required by Immigration and be able to come up with the necessary documentation as required by Immigration.

• Thanks 1

The lady I spoke to didn't really understand the possible problem re. being able to prove that incoming money was coming from abroad (and didn't really care much either.....),

It's a real pity Immigration hasn't bothered to communicate with the banks, too busy getting tips no doubt
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's a real pity Immigration hasn't bothered to communicate with the banks, too busy getting tips no doubt

In the meantime, get a bank-statement from your bank, stamped/signed by them, to prove your transfer-history. 

According to a recent "success story" on showing foreign-transfers to support an extension-of-stay, you will also need the "standard for immigration" bank-letter, which is always used for extensions supported by "money in the bank."

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1078398-report-successful-retirement-extension-using-monthly-income-no-consul-letter/

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

As a precaution someone could swift over monthly, for my bank that's an extra £35 a month or 17,000 baht a year (£25 swift + £10 thai bank charge. £35×12=£420 =17,000), might as well take the risk use transferwise and you save 17,000 tip available if required

Many here talk about changing their bank in Thailand to get functions their current one does not supply. Perhaps the same could be said for the UK end. My UK end bank does not make any charge, sending Sterling. Transferwise simply offer a slightly better rate and avoid my Thai bank handling charge. 

If you can't get that extension your savings look irrelevant.

Many here talk about changing their bank in Thailand to get functions their current one does not supply. Perhaps the same could be said for the UK end. My UK end bank does not make any charge, sending Sterling. Transferwise simply offer a slightly better rate and avoid my Thai bank handling charge. 

If you can't get that extension your savings look irrelevant.

Some UK banks may not charge for swifts but will charge a monthly fee so it evens out, plus getting a new UK account may not be easy if you no longer have a UK address.

People have discussed opening a Bangkok Bank account to avoid the Transferwise issue but it doesn't solve the problem due to the 3 banks used. I'm coming round to the idea of just using my Kasikorn account

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
12 hours ago, johnmell said:
My transfers from HSBC in UK, via Swift, to Bangkok Bank, are shown as BTN in my passbook. Hardly proof of an international transfer.

have you checked the statement? more detail there usually

On the statement it says Bahtnet. 

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

On a SWIFT transfer, your bank will provide you with instructions on how to address the money.  If those instructions include an "intermediate bank" located in Thailand, I would not use this.  Instead, open an account at that "intermediate bank" (or Bangkok Bank), so as to avoid getting a statement showing your SWIFT transfers as "local" transfers.

Thanks for that. Need to lie down in a darkened room for a while now.

• Haha 1