Report: Successful retirement extension using monthly income, no consul letter

10 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I'm just intrigued by the bunco artists who think that the new regs say that, as long as the overseas deposit for extension of stay purposes remains in their Thai bank account for a few milliseconds, then they can pull it out send it back to from where it came.

I’m intrigued by you who reckon it’s ok for your banking records to be vetted by TI. Have they ever had this authority previously where people are afraid to show normal daily transfers etc .I certainly will not be in that thanks. You often speak of what could be next?..

24 minutes ago, yodsak said:

i think they can.    and will.      dee money. or a friends A/C..  

If that fails use an agent .

Bunco artists will always find a way

TIT

Well that is it ...isn't it!  If you have to get by on far less than 65K thb each month ...you don't have much choice ..agent or bring it in and then send some back...

Like JLC this problem doesn't affect me but I'm sure it does many ...

23 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I’m intrigued by you who reckon it’s ok for your banking records to be vetted by TI.

Even with the Embassy income affidavit, the IMM folks always had the right to ask for corroborating info. You have the right to refuse. They have the right to deny an extension.

But I am intrigued with the interpretation of the word 'deposit' in the new regs in that one definition of 'deposit' in the banking world would only require the amount be in the account for milliseconds while other interpretations of the word 'deposit' even in the banking world might be otherwise.

Edited by JLCrab

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Even with the Embassy income affidavit, the IMM folks always had the right to ask for corroborating info. You have the right to refuse. They have the right to deny an extension.

Including challenging outgoings! Common your scratching now. Corroboration of income is one thing...telling you not to spend it is beyond the pale especially as the StatDec was gross income, missed by many in these pages. Tell me why no such scrutiny when applying at home?

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Fine -- and as it is then lawful to deposit 40/65K baht from overseas into your Thai bank account for purpose of extension and then, seconds later, transfer all of it back to the country of origin, you are presuming that, even if the interpretation of the news regs is that it is lawful today, another interpretation of the new regs might be that that modus operandi might not be lawful?

You could have waited a few months before saying this.  At least you get the chance to be proven wrong. ????

38 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I’m intrigued by you who reckon it’s ok for your banking records to be vetted by TI. Have they ever had this authority previously where people are afraid to show normal daily transfers etc .I certainly will not be in that thanks. You often speak of what could be next?..

Why?, most of them got their bank book scrutinized when they do the 800K bank letter.

7 minutes ago, farangx said:

You could have waited a few months before saying this.  At least you get the chance to be proven wrong.

Makes no difference to me. I ain't the one who needs the revolving door deposit-withdraw-deposit again routine to be the long-term play.

Edited by JLCrab

11 minutes ago, farangx said:

Why?, most of them got their bank book scrutinized when they do the 800K bank letter.

How so, scrutinized? You have 800 K, seasoned properly. Were you looking for ways to hide your back home payments then or just keep the balance right?Big difference when folk are suggesting they should do this and that to keep TI happy whilst simply paying their monthly outgoing after being forced to deposit their income here! 

21 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Makes no difference to me. I ain't the one who needs the revolving door deposit-withdraw-deposit again routine to be the long-term play.

Your ok Jack, usual escape clause! I’m sure everyone appreciates your in put, albeit very one sided.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Olmate said:

How so, scrutinized? You have 800 K, seasoned properly. Were you looking for ways to hide your back home payments then or just keep the balance right?Big difference when folk are suggesting they should do this and that to keep TI happy whilst simply paying their monthly outgoing after being forced to deposit their income here! 

Why did you say that? Do you know something about my bank account that I don't.  And as I said a few times before and as recent as last week, the IO never did once looked at my bank book.  As far as I am concern, they can scrutinize and ask all the questions they want to knock themselves out.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:37 AM, ubonjoe said:

The new rules state you must show 12 monthly transfers into the country equal to or greater than 65k baht to apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement if you do not have proof of income from your embassy which you can no longer get from the Australian embassy.

You need statements to prove statements to prove the transfers and letter from the bank confirming you account is valid.

My renewal is in August, 

I opened a BBK Bank account this morning which took nearly 2 hours using only my passport, yellow house book and my Thai driving licence.

The lady that did it for me was not quite sure what I wanted but a colleague gave me her mobile and I spoke to somebody at BBKK central. I explained to her what I needed, a sole account in my name, internet banking, debit card and that I needed it for Thai Immigration.

Then she knew exactly what was needed so I passed the phone over to the desk lady. After that it was a smooth job though I must have signed about 15 sheets of paper. I have to log in to my account within 3 days to validate the account and I will do that in the morning.

As I said my extension is due in August and this year I will be dropping to a marriage extension due to the Forex rate.

Form November last year I started to use TransferWise in my KBank sole account, before October my 3 pensions were sent to my joint account but not via TW. This year I will need a letter from KBank for both accounts and another from BKKBK for January through to July.

There is no way that I can get the 400,000 into my account other that winning the lottery. I may have a problem this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, farangx said:

Why did you say that? Do you know something about my bank account that I don't.  And as I said a few times before and as recent as last week, the IO never did once looked at my bank book.  As far as I am concern, they can scrutinize and ask all the questions they want to knock themselves out.

You previously posted “most people were scrutinized with the letter” Yes or no? Now you say not you never!  Which is it? Not sure why your happy with being questioned about your private affairs either!

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

You previously posted “most people were scrutinized with the letter” Yes or no? Now you say not you never!  Which is it? Not sure why your happy with being questioned about your private affairs either!

Most does not mean all, yes or no? When and where did I said my account book was scrutinized?  I don't care if the IO questioned me about my bank account, but you should be because you have things to hide.

My extension renewal is also early May,  so you guys think because the announcement with new income method was released mid Jan 2019 I can now make 4 transfers for each month of Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr and take documents like OP for just this period and renew early May...!?  

That would make a hell of a difference than trying to transfer and season 800k or equivalent in £ for 3 months before then... I need to do some monthly transfer for living expenses anyway, it will be great !  

Edited by Agusts

AAAAGH! Which was is it? Many folks here are sharing their success with the written rule for 65,000 monthly transfer yet you make this statement. Maybe the rules haven't "jelled" enough with all TI?

Also, I'm not sure if I read where anyone used the combo method. What is needed for that? For instance, I don't want to deposit 800,000 in a bank over there (but might to make life easier). I plan on spending far less than 65,000 a month and don't want the remained that's not spent to sit there and accumulate as for the same reason I don't want to 800,000 in a bank. US citizens are required to report to the govt any account(s) with over $10,000 US dollars in it overseas. By spending less than the 65,000 per month it'll grow to over $10,000(US) quickly. I am not interested in transferring the excess out of the country for personal reasons.  

What is truly needed for the combo option if known? Thanks!

Just stating the facts from my experience. Just goes to show that not all IO’s or offices are in the same page as yet. Its a developing story.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Olmate said:

Your ok Jack, usual escape clause! I’m sure everyone appreciates your in put, albeit very one sided.

Thanks -- Nice to hear your one side that it was the intent of the 40/65K monthly income program that not one baht of that money might need be actually spent in Thailand but, after it is deposited and resident in the Thai bank account for a few milliseconds, it can be shipped in whole back to its country of origin.

Edited by JLCrab

So the transfer records were important and necessary, but are they Sufficient? But what about people that don't have pensions?  Will the transfers be enough "proof" or are they going to want some sort if indication of the source of those incomes, prior to them being transferred to Thailand, i.e. dividend and interest from stock and equity holdings, rental income, business royalties, or whatever?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Will the transfers be enough "proof" or are they going to want some sort if indication of the source of those incomes, prior to them being transferred to Thailand, i.e. dividend and interest from stock and equity holdings, rental income, business royalties, or whatever?

I would say that an IMM officer always has the right to ask for corroborating information or documents just as they did with the prior embassy income affidavit regime.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:33 PM, Pib said:

And a report I'm looking forward to is where some one goes in with a year's worth of bank statement which show 12 Transferwise transfers say for 65K, but they are not coded as international transfers (just domestic transfers); however, the applicant also includes 12 Transferwise receipts which match up to the 12 transfers reflected on the bank statement.

Thanks. I was just trying to find out from Transferwise how the deposits are coded. What do the receipts say?

• Like 1

I get different answers to the "combo" method (monthly transfer plus money in a Thai bank). What really are the rules? Can a person have 200,000 baht in a bank and receive 55,000 baht transfers each month? If that sort of thing is still ok then what sort of documentation does a person need to provide to TI? Thanks! 

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote of a removed post and a comment about it

I used the consulate letter along with showing proof of my monthly pension funds being deposited into a US bank.  I was issued my one year extension.  

I asked the immigration officer about what will be required next year since the consulate in their infinite wisdom has decided not to issue income verification letters anymore.  The officer said no ones knows yet.  

I couldn't help notice the dwindling numbers of foreigners lined up for their one year extensions.  I believe immigration is being successful in weeding out the people who are unable to meet the monthly financial threshold.   The next group to go will be the people who won't buy into depositing their monthly income or depositing 800,000 baht into a Thai bank just to qualify for a one year extension.

I think by this time next year, CM Immigration staff will be sitting in their immigration complex looking at each other wondering when they will be laid off due to most of the foreigners having moved to greener pastures.

As soon as their Thai bank deposit requirement starts, this will the end of Thailand, being touted as one of the top retirement destinations for foreigners. ????  

8 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

I get different answers to the "combo" method (monthly transfer plus money in a Thai bank). What really are the rules? Can a person have 200,000 baht in a bank and receive 55,000 baht transfers each month? If that sort of thing is still ok then what sort of documentation does a person need to provide to TI? Thanks! 

Not hard to do and what you wrote appears to be correct and it exceeds the minimum total of annual income and money in the bank of 800k baht required. To prove it you show proof of the money in the bank bay way of a letter from the bank and a bank book showing it has been in the bank for 3 months and proof of the 55k baht going in to a Thai bank for 12 months.

7 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Ubon - Why did you remove the posts of the decent exchange I was having with JLCrab? 

Because you quoted a post that had already been removed. That can happen when wait too long to post the reply..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I used the consulate letter along with showing proof of my monthly pension funds being deposited into a US bank.  I was issued my one year extension.  

I asked the immigration officer about what will be required next year since the consulate in their infinite wisdom has decided not to issue income verification letters anymore.  The officer said no ones knows yet.  

I couldn't help notice the dwindling numbers of foreigners lined up for their one year extensions.  I believe immigration is being successful in weeding out the people who are unable to meet the monthly financial threshold.   The next group to go will be the people who won't buy into depositing their monthly income or depositing 800,000 baht into a Thai bank just to qualify for a one year extension.

I think by this time next year, CM Immigration staff will be sitting in their immigration complex looking at each other wondering when they will be laid off due to most of the foreigners having moved to greener pastures.

As soon as their Thai bank deposit requirement starts, this will the end of Thailand, being touted as one of the top retirement destinations for foreigners. ????  

Thanks NightRider. I suspected the same. I have a friend that was sitting in the managers office at Bangkok Bank one day and she said his phone was ringing off the hook. She said it was a bunch of folks calling to ask why their social security hasn't been posted to their account. What they failed to pay attention to was there was a holiday that week which pushed things back a day. My friend noted there were a LOT of folks that only had SS for their income and it wasn't much (maybe $1200 US a month). I now feel for those folks as they can no longer stay in Thailand and can't afford to live back home. What will happen to them is yet to see. 

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not hard to do and what you wrote appears to be correct and it exceeds the minimum total of annual income and money in the bank of 800k baht required. To prove it you show proof of the money in the bank bay way of a letter from the bank and a bank book showing it has been in the bank for 3 months and proof of the 55k baht going in to a Thai bank for 12 months.

OH! Sounds easy enough. Thanks Ubon!! I'm assuming that ALL TI understands that or is it still a work in progress now?