BANGKOK 23 February 2019 04:04
Sign in to follow this  
MJCM

Transfering Ownership of a Car. Some questions

We are in the process of buying a new car and when we have it we want to transfer the old car to my wife's daughter.

We had the wife's daughter ask at the DLT in Bangkok (where she lives) and they (DLT) said that we have to transfer the car were WE live so she can't do this in Bangkok (she eventually wants to have BKK Plates ;) )

Not a major issue, but is it true ?? We can only transfer the car to her in our Local DLT ??

And what documents are needed to transfer the car to her @DLT ?

I think Blue Registration Book Car, Tabien Baan wife, ID Card wife, Tabien Baan Daughter, ID Card Daughter ??

Thx in advance

Your daughter needs:

- This form completed: https://www.dlt.go.th/th/download.php?ref=M2E0LJyirTkjoz13q29ZMT1sM2I0oTycrTMjpJ1Sq2IZoT1vM2S0qTysrPMjAz00qmuZZ21kM0I0MTycrS8oSo3Q

- Blue registration book

- Signed copy of your wife's id card

- Signed copy of her own id card

I think these things are not necessary, but better be prepared than having to waste time going there again because they request them:

- Power of attorney from your wife to your daughter: https://www.dlt.go.th/th/download.php?ref=M2E0LJyirTkjoz13q29ZMT1sM2I0oTycrTMjpJ1Sq2IZoT1vM2S0qTysrPMjZT01qmuZZ21kM0I0MTycrS8oSo3Q

- Signed copy of both house books

(I think the power of attorney is actually only needed if your wife would want to make the transfer to your daughter's name (POA from daughter to wife) without your daughter going to the DLT, but who knows what they might make up this day)

Then she has to go to the DLT (your daughter can go alone, take the vehicle, i forgot if they want to check the vehicle on the first visit or the second) two times:

- First the DLT will transfer the province of the vehicle to Bangkok, this takes them a few days

- After a few days she has to go to the DLT again and they will do the actual ownership transfer

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Thanks @jackdd

One question though.

You wrote

Then she has to go to the DLT (your daughter can go alone, take the vehicle, i forgot if they want to check the vehicle on the first visit or the second) two times:

- First the DLT will transfer the province of the vehicle to Bangkok, this takes them a few days

- After a few days she has to go to the DLT again and they will do the actual ownership transfer

Is that OUR local DLT she has to go to 2 times ? (I think so, but not 100% sure because you mention POA)

The main issue is that she doesn't have a lot of days off, so she was planning on coming over on Sunday, then on Monday morning we go to the DLT and then on Monday afternoon she would drive the car back to Bangkok. (Thus only loose one day off work)

We will have to discuss this with her.

But again, thanks a lot really appreciated.

Edited by MJCM

I was talking about the DLT in Bangkok to which she has to go two times, because before you wrote she wants Bangkok plates.

She is Thai, so she can register a vehicle where she wants. What you planned to do is possible as well, then of course only one trip to the DLT is required, the car stays registered there, just the name is changed.

This does of course mean that the car keeps its current plates. But she can still transfer the car to Bangkok in the future, then she would also get Bangkok plates.

If the daughter wants to avoid losing a day off and your wife has free time:

The daughter:

- Completes her part of this form to transfer a vehicle: https://www.dlt.go.th/th/download.php?ref=M2E0LJyirTkjoz13q29ZMT1sM2I0oTycrTMjpJ1Sq2IZoT1vM2S0qTysrPMjAz00qmuZZ21kM0I0MTycrS8oSo3Q

- Completes the power of attorney to authorize her mom to do the transfer: https://www.dlt.go.th/th/download.php?ref=M2E0LJyirTkjoz13q29ZMT1sM2I0oTycrTMjpJ1Sq2IZoT1vM2S0qTysrPMjZT01qmuZZ21kM0I0MTycrS8oSo3Q

- Signed copy of her id card

She sends these documents to your wife. Your wife completes her part of the vehicle transfer form when it arrives, and makes a signed copy of her id card as well.

Then she takes all these things (including blue registration book, and car) to your local DLT and can transfer it to the daughter's name, then your daughter doesn't have to go to the DLT at all, so she doesn't lose a day off.

• Like 2

PERFECT !!!

Makes a lot of sense !!

I think it's better to first transfer the ownership to her at our Local DLT and then when she has free time gets the BKK Plates at the BKK DLT.

Will report back on how it went.

Edited by MJCM

Update:

Transferred the Car yesterday @DLT Buriram

Documents needed

- Copy Tabien Baan current Owner and New Owner

- Copy ID Card current Owner and New Owner

- Car Blue Book

1st have to fill in a form with details of current Owner, details of car, and details of new Owner

2nd Car has to go for a check, check mainly was about if the numbers match the Blue Book

3rd After the check, the actual ownership transfer takes place.

4rd New Owner (because they want to get Bangkok Number plates) must have the car checked at a Bangkok DLT WITHIN 15 days.

Total cost of the transfer ownership 160 THB

Total time 1:15 min. (Longest wait was the queue to check the Car.)

Another update:

Daughter did the transfer in Bangkok yesterday, she also got the Bangkok number plates.

Total costs 1600 THB

Total Time: 4,5 Hrs (longest wait was again the queue to check the car)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Why she want a Bkk Plate, is it an NE Reg on the Car.?

She wants BKK plates because she lives there nothing more nothing less ;)

Usually its because NE vehicles get stopped for drugs at checkpoints.

7 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Usually its because NE vehicles get stopped for drugs at checkpoints.

Never heard of that !

We have been on NE plates for 5 years and never been stopped at Checkpoints in whole of the Country to be checked for drugs. Also BIL's car (who lives in Bangkok) is on NE plates and he never got stopped as well (only for License checks)

I think her reasoning for changing to BKK plates is

1- She thinks it's Easier to get the Tax and compulsory checks (car is 7+ years) done

2- Vanity 😉

2- DLT is just around the Corner

• Like 1

Its an excepted fact amongst all sales reps, and myself who had an Ubon Reg once, and got sick of it.. Even my Wife says they will pull him when south ish, shes often right, so dont argue, i dare not anyway.:giggle:

The Sales rep for our new car didn't ask us anything about what Province on our white number plates should be, but we mentioned it ourselves that we wanted Buriram plates.

Our old car that just got the BKK number plates, has had 3 different sets of plates

1- We Bought the Car in Chonburi, so it got Chonburi plates

2- Then we moved to Buriram and it got Buriram plates

3- Now the daughter got it and she has changed it to Bangkok Plates

But my wife already said to her daughter, that in the future if the daugther thinks of buying another car, the old car will have to come back to Buriram again (she is very attached to that car, the first car she has ever bought) so then its back to Buriram plates again ;)