Phuket in the cold as ’Smart Driver’s licences’ launch

snoop1130

Phuket in the cold as ’Smart Driver’s licences’ launch

By The Phuket News

1547553659_1-org.jpg

Only the newer licences with the QR code can be used to register through the app, when it gets up and running. Photo: The Phuket News

PHUKET:-- Confusion reigned today (Jan 15) as the Department of Land Transport (DLT) officially released its electronic driver’s licenses, launching a downloadable application that can digitally hold driver authorisations and vehicle details.

DLT Director-General Pirapol Tawornsupacharoen today explained that with electronic licenses made valid yesterday (Jan 14), citizens may now download the DLT’s E-License application for either Android or iOS devices.

However, only the newer licenses that feature QR Codes on the reverse side can be scanned into the app, he said. 

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-in-the-cold-as-smart-driver-licences-launch-70037.php#9W5thDIvcEJ6i0gD.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-1-15

"Chief Banyat aslo obscurely noted, “This application is active for Thai users with Thai driving licenses, and does not include foreign users.”

Mr Banyat declined to elaborate further, as it is many expats have Thai driving licences with their passport number issued as the driving licence number.

Of note, the app itself features a login window plainly labelled “PASSPORT” in English.

The rest of the app is labelled in Thai language only."

Usual story - the left hand doesn't know the right hand even exists, let alone knowing what it's doing.

55 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

"Chief Banyat aslo obscurely noted, “This application is active for Thai users with Thai driving licenses, and does not include foreign users.”

Mr Banyat declined to elaborate further, as it is many expats have Thai driving licences with their passport number issued as the driving licence number.

Of note, the app itself features a login window plainly labelled “PASSPORT” in English.

Usual story - the left hand doesn't know the right hand even exists, let alone knowing what it's doing.

Banyat's comment to me reeks of the Thai elite and their henchmens xenophobic mentality to automatically believe the dreaded foreigners should not be included. It seems we are, so there!

On 1/16/2019 at 5:02 AM, arithai12 said:

My driver licences have a QR code, but I am not even going to try. I often go out without my smart phone, but I would not go out without my wallet and the driver license is always inside it.

I am not sure what is the purpose of this brilliant idea.

Not everyone is the same.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:59 PM, bluesofa said:

"Usual story - the left hand doesn't know the right hand even exists, let alone knowing what it's doing" - the thing is, when it come time to collect "tea money" - BOTH hands are held out, purposefully, with each hand knowing EXACTLY what is going on.  ????

Archived