Multiple Non-O visa, 1 year marriage extension, and re-entry permit

Hi there,

My husband got a 1 year multiple entry non-o visa and a 1 year extension of stay due to marriage with a Thai wife. He plans to go out of and come back to Thailand within 1 year validity of the non-o visa. 

My question is does he need the re-entry permit? If he doesn’t get the re-entry permit, after 90 day of stay does he have to go through the 1-year marriage visa extension process all over again (like first time that hasn’t done before — notify address and etc.)?

we were thinking about not getting the re-entry permit because when he gets back, it will be about time to get another 1-year marriage extension anyway. But if there are some benefits to have the re-entry permission by not having to go through the extension process from scratch, we would do it. 

Thanks in advance!

The only benefit of a re-entry is to keep a current permission alive for when you return to the country.

If the 1 year extension renewal is due shortly after returning the main advantage of a re-entry permit would be avoiding the need to get a new Non ‘O’ visa. 

If he has a valid ME Non ‘O’ — or can easily get a new Non ‘O’ while out of the country — then there is no need for a re-entry permit. He would get 90 days on entry using the visa and can apply for the 1 year extension at the end of the 90 days.